Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:42 AM

533 posts, read 1,112,356 times

Advertisements

I have a phone interview in a few hours with someone and I don't have their email address (they called me to set up the appointment). At the end of the interview, should I ask for their email address (so I can send them a thank you email)? Or is that not necessary? It's just a part time/hourly position - nothing fancy.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 08:58 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Politely ask, as it shows interest. I would say something like: may I have your email address so that I may follow up in a week?

Old 11-05-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Politely ask, as it shows interest. I would say something like: may I have your email address so that I may follow up in a week?
Ok thanks! I'm so nervous I could throw up. I've had to do phone interviews before but I feel like now that I'm out of college everything is a bigger deal.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:02 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
Try and exercise for 20 minutes if you can to dissipate the anxiety a bit.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:40 AM

I literally just got off the phone. The guy interviewing me sounded so uninterested and I asked him a question at the end and he didn't answer for a solid 10 seconds and then said "Uhhhm, oh, yeah, sorry, .... (insert answer to my question here)." Also, for a part time job the questions were INTENSE. He wanted extremely detailed responses (I'm not complaining, just surprised) and apparently the next step in the hiring process is a panel interview and then a one on one interview. Has anyone else ever experienced this for a PART TIME job? Like I said, I'm not complaining, I'm just surprised.

Anyway... I'll find out in a week or so. Thanks again everyone!

Old 11-05-2013, 12:35 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,481,067 times
Interviews can be very intense. Lots of technical questions and 'what if' scenarious that you have to explain in detail what you did or what you would do in certain scenarious. Get used to it.

It's a bit easier interviewing for a temp job versus a perm job because perm jobs are interviewing you as-if you will stay at their company for 30 years. Temp jobs aren't quite as picky because they can get rid if you easily and they see you as short-term.

If someone is terrible at interviews, they might go after a temp job and then hope to get offered to go perm after the company sees your work. However, many temp jobs will never ever go perm no matter how good the employee is. Temp to perm might be another option that has slightly less intense interviews, in general. Because they figure you are 'interviewing' the entire time you are temping.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:26 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,690 times
Just because it's part time doesn't mean the position is any less valuable. There are 12 people in my department and a few are part time/casual, but I would expect them to go through the exact same hiring process. Just because you work less hours doesn't mean they care less about selecting the right candidate. Plus, in the future there could be the option to go full time - you don't want to have duds to choose from.

Now, if this was a fast food job, then yea....too much. Don't knock hourly positions, many careers work on hourly employees.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:07 PM

Yeah, that does make sense. I wasn't trying to knock hourly positions! Sorry if what I said came across as rude like that! It was just the most intense interview I've had for a part time position.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:12 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,448,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
Yeah, that does make sense. I wasn't trying to knock hourly positions! Sorry if what I said came across as rude like that! It was just the most intense interview I've had for a part time position.
It wasn't rude. I'm just sayin...if it's a company that likes to promote from within it could have potential. You never know who you'll meet or how your future could unfold, take it all seriously.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:44 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,837,015 times
Just use this one interview as a learning experience and go on from here. Don't be nervous and try to remember that the person on the other end needs you as much as you need them, or they wouldn't be looking.

Phone interviews are tough, I prefer to look the person in the eye and read the signals they are giving me. They can also see you and get more of your personality than via the phone.

Don't get discouraged, it will work out.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search