U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 12:17 PM

390 posts, read 784,241 times

Advertisements

The environment at my current company has become unbearable and frankly even though I have done nothing wrong, I fear for my job security. I'm the only male on a team of 7 females and have never felt so ostracized in the workplace and made to feel shunned. I got a good review just last month but the two girls who I supervise are just rude and abrasive toward me...and my supervisor has their back. They have their own little clique of which I'm not part of. I sense that the managing director will ultimately let me go because of this.

I have several interviews lined up and money saved up, so should I just give my 2 weeks notice to beat them to the punch to not have to face the humiliation of being terminated and having that on my record?

Last edited by Tor_Nado; 11-11-2013 at 12:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 12:38 PM

3,032 posts, read 3,787,815 times
I'd get a job offer first and then resign.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:44 PM

22,244 posts, read 9,457,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomlikeme View Post
I'd get a job offer first and then resign.

Unless you are relocating, it is easier to get a job when you have a job. It's psychological--companies think if someone else employs you, you are more valuable. The tricky part is explaining why you are looking for a new job, but there are a lot of reasons other employers feel are perfectly acceptable - no opportunity for growth, need more of a challenge, etc. And because you are looking "confidentially" they will not call your current employer for a reference. But, you should probably have other references lined up.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:21 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,983,915 times
Don't do it. An interview isn't even a 'soft' offer....you've got a long way to go until you've got a new job lined up. Stick it out at the job while you're looking and interviewing.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:55 PM

15,353 posts, read 17,594,081 times
If you have enough money saved up to live off for 1 year or more and have a way to obtain/pay for health insurance, then maybe resigning is OK. But before you resign, you must think of a valid reason for resigning when this is discussed at interviews.

If you cannot think of a reasonable explanation when asked by future employers, then keep working and search for a new job while still working. You will be asked why you are leaving your current employer. Have a good answer that doesn't talk about being the only guy and that doesn't mentioned the cliques at work. Even if this is true, you don't want to bring it up in any interviews EVER. Not even a mention of it.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:12 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,115,810 times
I've worked in bad environments. You'd be stupid to quit without a job offer lined up. Note, I didn't say interview, I said job offer. Even if you have money saved up, you could easily use it all up. Having money saved up doesn't mean the jobs will just magically appear.

If you do get terminated use your evidence of the recent good review when you interview. You did make a copy of any review paperwork and took it home, right?

Old 11-11-2013, 03:21 PM

370 posts, read 620,214 times
Please think about it.

Quitting is what they really want you to do. Firing you can be messy even in an at will employment situation just because you can make things difficult for them with the threat of litigation. You just received a good review (I assume it is documented) so they probably can't let you go for cause unless they have been documenting causes that you haven't opened up about here. If the company is just the eight of you, then you never know, but if you work for a company with any scruples or sense, they aren't going to let you go just because a subset doesn't like you.

Do your interviews and hang in there as best as you can, but you have to stay to be eligible for unemployment in case they do get rid of you. Believe me, quitting immediately without having a job lined up gives them exactly what they want (assuming you're reading the situation correctly) and gives you the worst outcome for your side of the equation.

Quitting without a job is the worst solution, IMHO.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:24 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,742,240 times
Unless you are being physically abused or are independently wealthy I would always answer no.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:31 PM

80 posts, read 184,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowherjaw View Post
Please think about it.

Quitting is what they really want you to do. Firing you can be messy even in an at will employment situation just because you can make things difficult for them with the threat of litigation. You just received a good review (I assume it is documented) so they probably can't let you go for cause unless they have been documenting causes that you haven't opened up about here. If the company is just the eight of you, then you never know, but if you work for a company with any scruples or sense, they aren't going to let you go just because a subset doesn't like you.

Do your interviews and hang in there as best as you can, but you have to stay to be eligible for unemployment in case they do get rid of you. Believe me, quitting immediately without having a job lined up gives them exactly what they want (assuming you're reading the situation correctly) and gives you the worst outcome for your side of the equation.

Quitting without a job is the worst solution, IMHO.
Absolutely spot on!!!

I've been laid off 3 times, from major companies, and the last 2 times I saw the writing on the wall because of the first layoff. (Beware when an employer starts wanting to document what you do and how you do it!) I went on interviews during my spare time and continued to work, though it was unbearable. I didn't get jobs right away, but I had my unemployment and healthcare until I did have another job.

Never leave a job voluntarily unless you have accepted another offer.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:33 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,633,770 times
bills dont pay themselves, never leave without having a job lined up first...it could really hurt you financially
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or