Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 01:57 PM

210 posts, read 393,669 times

Advertisements

I have a small question about applying for a job at this certain company. I went into the place a few months ago hoping to to speak with a manager and give him my resume and cover letter. I went in at the entrance that was reserved for visitors and I just end up in a room with a locked door in front of me and hanging on the wall were baskets for job applicants to leave their resume and/or filled job application form that they a had a pile of for people to take and fill.

I was wondering about the security of this. It would look like anyone can just go in and remove other applicants' applications and leave their own. I don't know if there's a hidden camera in the room or not, but if there is do you think they would chase after people if they caught someone doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 05:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
It's not secure at all. I don't they have a hidden camera or anyone watching.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:38 PM

There was something that looked like it could have a camera on the ceiling though. Do you think they could have someone watching?

Old 11-14-2013, 05:40 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,090 times
how do you know thats not the rejects pile?

Old 11-16-2013, 03:43 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,517 times
Might as well just leave a paper shredder for people to leave their applications in....I certainly hope there wasn't confidential info (SS# for example...).

Was the locked door in front of you glass? I know I worked for a company that had a similar set up (not for the apps) and the secretary had to buzz in all visitors. Granted she doesn't stay at her desk all day. Maybe it was a test...anyone too lazy to just leave their app isn't worth it and those that make the attempt to speak with an employee goes to the head of the class.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Were they advertising any openings? Chances are they just leave that there for drop-in people like you and don't take them seriously. If they actually had specific openings they would no doubt require people to apply online and/or have someone there to collect them as they came in.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
Might as well just leave a paper shredder for people to leave their applications in....I certainly hope there wasn't confidential info (SS# for example...).

Was the locked door in front of you glass? I know I worked for a company that had a similar set up (not for the apps) and the secretary had to buzz in all visitors. Granted she doesn't stay at her desk all day. Maybe it was a test...anyone too lazy to just leave their app isn't worth it and those that make the attempt to speak with an employee goes to the head of the class.
Yes, the door was made of glass. What difference does that make...if you can see through it or not? There was no button to press to help me get buzzed in, but there was a phone in the small room I was in and a list on the side with names of employees and their extension numbers to dial on the phone. The top of the list said that we couldn't speak with any of them unless we had an appointment. Is this some kind of hint? How would I know which person to speak to?

About it being a test, would a company purposely give themselves more garbage to throw away just for a test?

Old 11-16-2013, 05:30 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,981,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life7 View Post
I have a small question about applying for a job at this certain company. I went into the place a few months ago hoping to to speak with a manager and give him my resume and cover letter. I went in at the entrance that was reserved for visitors and I just end up in a room with a locked door in front of me and hanging on the wall were baskets for job applicants to leave their resume and/or filled job application form that they a had a pile of for people to take and fill.

I was wondering about the security of this. It would look like anyone can just go in and remove other applicants' applications and leave their own. I don't know if there's a hidden camera in the room or not, but if there is do you think they would chase after people if they caught someone doing this?
Absolutely not.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:32 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,981,856 times
Quote:

About it being a test, would a company purposely give themselves more garbage to throw away just for a test?
It's not a test. It's a cheesy way to deal with people who drop off unsolicited and probably unwanted applications and resumes without having to face them.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:33 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,517 times
Quote:
Yes, the door was made of glass. What difference does that make...if you can see through it or not? There was no button to press to help me get buzzed in, but there was a phone in the small room I was in and a list on the side with names of employees and their extension numbers to dial on the phone. The top of the list said that we couldn't speak with any of them unless we had an appointment. Is this some kind of hint? How would I know which person to speak to?

If there was a secretary on the other side of the door they would see if someone was stealing apps....not so YOU could see through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search