Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 10:48 AM

23,536 posts, read 24,029,400 times

Advertisements

Personally, I would call and find out. They did make a verbal offer, so you have the job.

I once had a verbal that was retracted, due to an "internal reorganization" (Director that hired me was replaced by a new VP). I hope this does not happen to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 11:13 AM

206 posts, read 404,485 times
Goodness -- it's only been two days since you got the verbal offer. Relax. It will come.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:17 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Don't give your 2 week notice until your background check and drug test come back with good results.

Don't take any over the counter medicines...Nyquil and stuff like that. There are some false positives that are from taking legal medicine for a cold or the flu and similar. So even if you take no illegal drugs, you want to avoid anything that could trigger a false positive. Google for more info, they have lists out there. Don't eat anything with poppy seeds ..which is mainly some muffins and some hotdog buns. Something like 1%-4% of drug tests result in false positives.

Congrats on the job.

Make sure you sign up for health insurance within the required timeframe...30 days usually.

Don't miss the deadline for the drug test. You can be marked as fail if you miss the deadline.
You left out the most important part, you don't give notice until you have in writing an actual start date and what the salary is.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:19 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Personally, I would call and find out. They did make a verbal offer, so you have the job.

I once had a verbal that was retracted, due to an "internal reorganization" (Director that hired me was replaced by a new VP). I hope this does not happen to you.
No, you have the job when you have a written offer. I wouldn't go on anything verbal these days.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:29 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,426 times
I'm in your boat, and getting a bit impatient. I have one written offer already, and another company that I'd rather work for called me two weeks ago on monday, saying to expect the written offer this past monday. Monday came and went, Wednesday I get an email apologizing for the delay and to expect the written offer "very soon".. still waiting and I need to tell the other company something, very soon.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:07 PM

10 posts, read 139,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
I'm in your boat, and getting a bit impatient. I have one written offer already, and another company that I'd rather work for called me two weeks ago on monday, saying to expect the written offer this past monday. Monday came and went, Wednesday I get an email apologizing for the delay and to expect the written offer "very soon".. still waiting and I need to tell the other company something, very soon.
I only received a verbal offer ( over the phone) was told about what documents to expect ( email) no other information. Not even information about when to take my drug test. I'm still waiting on the person who offered me the job to send me the written offer ( email). I'm going to follow up monday, the wait is killing me.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:26 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin221 View Post
I only received a verbal offer ( over the phone) was told about what documents to expect ( email) no other information. Not even information about when to take my drug test. I'm still waiting on the person who offered me the job to send me the written offer ( email). I'm going to follow up monday, the wait is killing me.
Don't do that. Back off. You already left one message.

They called you end of business on Wednesday. HR needs to draft and send out the letter. They may have a bunch of things to do before they get to you, and the job starts in a month. They are not feeling any time pressure, don't be a nag.

They will give you drug test info along with the offer letter. Don't give notice at your current job until you have passed the drug test. The hiring company knows this, and if they drag their feet in getting the hiring done, the start date can slide. Or you can give less than two weeks.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:53 AM

206 posts, read 404,485 times
I agree. Don't call again. Sadly, this is how the world of work sometimes works. Just relax and expect to receive the email shortly. I think if you don't hear anything by this coming Thursday (Nov 21), you can get in touch, but I think you'll have the written offer by then.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:21 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
Relax. HR is probably just slow. I recently started a new job and the process was really slow. After I received and accepted the unofficial offer it was almost two weeks before HR finally called with the official offer. At that time they offered me the choice to move my official start date due to the fact that the one I had originally expected would not leave me much time to give notice to my current employer. This allowed a reasonable amount of time for training my replacement.

While I was waiting for the official offer I was able to start on the vaccination protocol for my new job. (I have to have a rabies vaccination for my work). Possibly you should be able to go ahead and get your drug screening while you wait.

A someone told me while I was anxiously waiting. Don't worry. You got the job. It is very unlikely they will take it away from you.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:51 PM

615 posts, read 1,382,386 times
I once received a verbal offer right after I was done interviewing. I was told that I would receive a written, formal offer in a few days. I was super excited, but to my dismay, it never happened. One week turned to two weeks, then three weeks. They eventually told me they decided to pursue another candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search