Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2013, 07:12 AM

210 posts, read 393,841 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a printing job and I've been thinking of applying at a nearby city where my former graphic design teacher works. I took a graphic design course at a technical trade school school and then took the printing course when I realized I was more interested in the technical side of graphic design. Both programs were offered in the same school. I had asked about this teacher to the teachers in the printing course when I was no longer seeing him in the school and they told me he had stopped teaching at the school and went back to this company he was working at when it started getting busier.

I've been think of calling up the company first to speak with the manager, which I think might be my former teacher in the graphic design course. Do you think he'll give "special attention" as a job candidate since he knew me as his student? I wasn't a top student, just a typical "average" student. Should I ask him if he remembers me first? What's the best thing I should say as an opening statement to introduce myself?

Last edited by Life7; 11-16-2013 at 07:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 08:47 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life7 View Post
I'm looking for a printing job
and I've been thinking of applying at a nearby city where my former graphic design teacher works.
I wasn't a top student, just a typical "average" student.

Should I ask him if he remembers me first?
Absolutely. Before doing anything else make *personal* contact.

Quote:
What's the best thing I should say as an opening statement to introduce myself?
After the social polite fluff...
"I know I wasn't a top student but since then I've done X and Y and gotten rather good with Z.
I'd like to do more Z and figured that <nearby city> was the place to go.
Is that correct? Are there many/good openings there? Can you point me to an oportunity?
"

Quote:
Do you think he'll give "special attention" as a job candidate since he knew me as his student?
I wouldn't expect so. Most people (even if the decision maker) tend to shy away from
such personal recommendation. It's almost always the wisest move absent real star qualifications.

Old 11-16-2013, 04:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,568 posts, read 81,147,605 times
If you were an average student, I would just apply and say nothing, hopefully he won't make the connection and will hire you. It's not the least bit likely that he would hire you because he taught you unless you really stood out as a top student.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:02 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,378 times
I agree I wouldn't say anything because then he might think you are trying to get the job JUST because you were taught by him. Wait until the interview, if he interviews you THEN say "OMG Mr. So-and-So! How are you? You were one of my teachers a few years back..." yada yada and schmooze then.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:40 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
I taught part time in a technical trade school for 7 years. If one of my former students approached me about a job opening, I would certainly give it consideration, which is helpful getting him or her past the initial HR weed-out, but beyond that the applicants qualifications would have to stand for themselves vs the other candidates. And if I did decide the former student was a top candidate, I'd most likely have my director buy into that to avoid any appearance of favoritism before any offer was made. With that said, it's definitely worth a try just to get your foot in the door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search