Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 05:16 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,878,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
It reminds me when people bash work overseas. Taking things out of context always makes things look worse than they are.
I know a women making $1.25/hr in China. But a platter of food in china is $1, a bottle of brandy is $4, a customer made silk suit is $300. I personally bought two medications for 30 cents!
More importantly being in a factory at that rate is much more than working outside which would be probably half that. Development has to start somewhere. The median manufacturing wage was 50 cents an hour in 2000 and it's estimated to be $4.50 in 2015. Competition drives wages up. I know of a regional chain in the northeast that actually pays less than walmart. Their department managers make what a walmart cashier makes, their cashiers make just above minimum wage.

On the inverse Manhattan is an expensive place. Making 100k isn't nearly as much as what some might think outside of it.
Well that's good to know. For sure I will never go to work in China!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 05:56 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,400,285 times
I am sure at least some applications are from people who have to keep their benefits by showing they are applying for jobs.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:39 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,786,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBookofLife View Post
I have to agree with you on this. Many people forget that it is W-mart's dispicable jobs that supported them for their high school or whatever hard years. Just like most people forget that a journey of a thousand miles begins with single step. They forget that is the first single step that led them to their thousand miles. They then turn arround to laugh at their first steps. If you put McDonald's or w-mart down, what about those high school kids? Can they hold jobs at some fat big companies?
Ohh I haven't heard that saying in ages it's always been a favorite of mine. Ancient Chinese proverb if I remember right! It's definitely true.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:48 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,851,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Thank you for saying that. I have worked for Walmart going on four years now and I'm happy with my job and the company has been good to me. Most people have NO idea how it all works, what benefits we actually get, how much GOOD Walmart actually does for their employees. All they know is that we are a bunch of dummies, unskilled, uneducated not much suited for any other kind of job and all on welfare. LOL Nothing could be further from the truth. If it were we wouldn't have thousands of people across the country who have been with the company for 5-25 years. The starting pay isn't so hot but the raises seem to come pretty fast. I had four in three years. Some people have been at my store so long they are making very good wages AND their 401k and stock options are healthy. Every single employee can have health insurance IF they want it...part time or full time. There's not much difference between full/part time bennies although some things we get ARE based on hours worked. Still good.

Because of the holiday hiring, for the first time ever, I saw signs at the application kiosk that said all positions have been filled. I know I'm seeing a LOT of new faces around and wonder who'll stay and who'll go when it's all said and done.
As you can see, Walmart is not as bottom-of-the-barrel as some reports make it out to be. A previous poster mentioned caddying. I never worked at Walmart, but have caddied, drove a taxi, and dug ditches. Caddying was by far the worst.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:53 PM

57 posts, read 180,973 times
A Walmart in my beautiful home city of D.C.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:09 AM

8,000 posts, read 7,354,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post

It's crazy that the left wingers who control DC tried to stop Walmart from opening at all. And with such high unemployment in their city that 38 people apply for every single job!

And I love this:
Quote:
Everyone knows Walmart isn't the best place to work, but...
...it sounds to me like people in need don't care about the "best" place to work (#firstworldproblem)

I'm glad so many people in this age of foodstamps, Obamaphones, and "free" healthcare, really want to work.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:49 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,162,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post

These stores are being built to SELL PRODUCTS to the residents, not CREATE JOBS.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:31 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,149,423 times
Who is going to sell the products?

Not everything is binary (win/lose). There are often pareto-optimal solutions. Yes, they are being built to sell products to consumers. A benefit of that is more jobs. It also happens to be the case that Walmart baskets happen to typically be 10-20% cheaper than most competitors, so the residents have an opportunity to save some extra money on items they would have had to buy elsewhere.

If you don't want to shop at Walmart you don't have to. But people barely scraping by would appreciate shaving an extra 30-40 dollars off their monthly grocery bills and I'm sure many of the unemployed would love an opportunity to make 9 dollars an hour.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:04 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,775,284 times
"These stores are being built to SELL PRODUCTS to the residents, not CREATE JOBS"

But that's business 101. Everyone is in business to make money, not simply hire people. Milton Friedman went to Hong Kong once and saw a construction crew doing excavation with shovels. When asked why they weren't using more modern equipment the reply was "This is to make the work last longer" to which he replied "So why aren't they using spoons!"

Like it or not but sometimes funding is more contingent upon tasks that don't involve just hiring someone. Grant funding does not go towards operating budgets, infact it never does.

It can be argued that the aggregate effect of opening can create jobs. Say a truck driver makes a delivery and they eat at the local diner, fills the tank up at a local gas station etc. Customer doesn't find what they are looking for so they try another store nearby.

Selling products is pretty much the private sector, if you want services look at the government.If you don't want either then what exactly do you want jobs to do exactly?

I can't think of that many manual labor jobs that employ people en masse outside of retail..post office? maybe seasonally but that's it.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:50 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,851,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
"These stores are being built to SELL PRODUCTS to the residents, not CREATE JOBS"

But that's business 101. Everyone is in business to make money, not simply hire people. Milton Friedman went to Hong Kong once and saw a construction crew doing excavation with shovels. When asked why they weren't using more modern equipment the reply was "This is to make the work last longer" to which he replied "So why aren't they using spoons!"

Like it or not but sometimes funding is more contingent upon tasks that don't involve just hiring someone. Grant funding does not go towards operating budgets, infact it never does.

It can be argued that the aggregate effect of opening can create jobs. Say a truck driver makes a delivery and they eat at the local diner, fills the tank up at a local gas station etc. Customer doesn't find what they are looking for so they try another store nearby.

Selling products is pretty much the private sector, if you want services look at the government.If you don't want either then what exactly do you want jobs to do exactly?

I can't think of that many manual labor jobs that employ people en masse outside of retail..post office? maybe seasonally but that's it.
What? Some of the services I've purchased recently: lawn care, haircuts, Internet and phone. All provided by private companies. Or does the government provide all those in DC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search