U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 10:14 AM

2,386 posts, read 2,993,654 times

Advertisements

I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown because I'm applying for all these jobs across the board and I'm not having any results whatsoever. I have been looking for a new job for months now, and I've even applied for restaurant and retail jobs. I had no luck at the last job fair I attended, and when I pound pavement looking for work in-person, I'm told to apply online. No job I've ever had has been the result of an online application, EVER. And that hasn't changed because I haven't even secured a single interview with this online process, and almost always the job announcement states explicitly not to call them, or you call to follow-up and they tell me "okay, this is how it works. We are not looking at any applications. It will go through the system and we will contact you if we think you're qualified." That experience is what I've been getting mostly from local government positions I've applied to recently, which only accept online applications now.

In my entire life since I was old enough to work at 16, every job I've had has never been from applying online and there's nothing indicating this trend will change. This is extremely discouraging to me as I'm desperate for a new job right now. Has anyone ever had success applying for jobs online?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 10:21 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,158,624 times
Yes. If you mean online to include emailing cover letters/resumes, yes. It is the only way I've ever gotten a job in the past 10+ years.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:52 AM

5,340 posts, read 5,299,016 times
Sorry to hear of your frustration and hope it gets better.

Yes, I have received a good amount of replies, interviews and offers from what started with an on line application. I've also experienced what you are going through - not hearing anything from anyone. The good replies started coming when I gained enough experience and knowledge in a specific and valuable skill to make my application attractive. That, and some luck. It's the intersection between being qualified for a position that isn't easy to fill and applying at a time when they are ready to fill it. Before I got that experience, I found jobs through friends and family. Now, it's more through networking.

I'm sorry you are frustrated and discouraged and wish you the best of luck.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:40 PM

15,530 posts, read 13,519,456 times
I know a few people going through this in the DC area. All of them college grads, a few have advance degrees as well. They have been applying for positions since the beginning of summer with no luck. A few interviews, but no job.

They have tried retail as well but get no where as retail in the DC area will not hardly ever hire someone with a college degree. One of them is scheduled to go to China to teach English as she is at her end trying to find employment.

If you are not even getting an itnerview, you need to go back through your resume and cover letter, and also see if you are properly tuning these in with the position you are hiring for.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,772 posts, read 54,408,375 times
When you say " I've even applied for restaurant and retail jobs" those may be the hardest to get. The jobs with the least requirements for experience and/or education are those that get the most applicants despite the lower pay. Pounding the pavement doesn't work anymore. Other than the occasional "mom & pop" that happens to need help at the moment you walk in, companies no longer hire walk-ins. You have to wait for announced openings and apply online, or know someone there that recommends you. Clearing-house sites like Indeed and Monster are not that helpful either. Your time is best spent online visiting the websites of every public agency in the area that has jobs you might be qualified for, and look at the openings on their employment page. Look also for cooperative sites such as the two below in our area where many/most public agencies post them together. I don't know if there are any in your area or not but look anyway.

AWC JobNet - Search Jobs

https://apply.govjobstoday.com/

Old 11-19-2013, 03:25 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,069,845 times
I've been dealing with this for years now. It strikes me particularly odd like when I hear folks saying nobody wants to take a job beneath them. In my case, I'll take any job I can get. The conservatives have nothing on me.

Old 11-19-2013, 03:41 PM

11,125 posts, read 8,531,120 times
I've had excellent luck with online applications. I have a strong resume, good experience and education.

I'm old enough to remember typing up resumes and cover letters, making copies, and mailing them. I'll take online applications any day.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:42 PM

3,315 posts, read 1,878,267 times
That's why I haven't bothered to look anymore. It's a waste of time. Personally I'm no longer desperate for money so I'd be applying for a job that pays less than what I already do and for more effort. I hate this world of online applications because that often means etiquette questions that are pretty much impossible to pass. If you could just get the foot in the door then great but it is overwhelming to look and look coming up with nothing. Looking for a job is a full time job. I want to do something better though. I get burned out with what I do and I do need to pay off my student loans and pay for my few expensive bucket list items. The issue is there is nothing that I am qualified for. I wasn't really keen on unpaid internships but I tried looking for those too and even those aren't available. I can confidently say that I have plenty of experience in the few areas I have pursued but it's not good enough for employers because it has to be WORK experience. They don't want just any work experience which is why I don't see a point in a retail job.

This is just me personally though. It sounds like at this point you need money more than I do.

I can tell you though. My mom has gotten her current job through Snag A Job so maybe you should try that. I don't think it will work for me since I won't be eager for just anything but I think it might work for you since you are more flexible.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:46 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,069,845 times
The restaurant job I applied for I saw on craigslist. It said send a resume which I did. Few days went by and I never heard anything. So I call and they say come fill out an application. I go down there, do the application, and I get interviewed. If I never called them I would have never gotten that interview or even applied. This is just an example of how the whole looking for jobs online thing is like a smoke screen.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:04 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,180,337 times
All of the companies seem to want an online app. They can discriminate against the too-old or the wrong degree or the inexperienced or someone just not using the current buzzwords. Consult someone who is some kind of employment counselor, even your local OneStop ones for any possible pointers about how to do better with online apps.

Most of the jobs I applied for made me create a profile on the employer's website, then spend 1-2 hours straightening out how it badly screwed up the resume that I uploaded. And then usually take some specific online personality test or skills assessment test that their site ordered me to complete.

Many employers use all computer-based training programs for safety and for company policies and practices. My current employer had literally at least 7 hours of online training and exercises and policies to read and complete. Some tests, too. The nursing school I attended had us go through about 3 hours of policies and practices online, two full days of hospital IT system and electronic charting, and also used computer simulations for training.

Computers are what they use now. You can't escape that in many jobs now. You have to be computer literate to even apply, as you have pointed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or