Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 07:48 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,261 times

Advertisements

Alright, while I'm waiting for that county job, let me shoot another question by you wonderful people.

I applied for a job a few weeks ago. Small company. While I was waiting I saw that they posted a job more up my alley, but I didn't apply for it yet. Just got an email today, after I had moved on, thinking I got nowhere with them, with an interview offer for the first job.

Is there some sort of etiquette I can follow here? Can I ask them about the other job while I'm interviewing? Should I tell them up front before my interview? Or should I just suck it up and forget about the other one that better fits my talents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 07:51 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,447,714 times
Is it in the same/similar department or field? I'd say apply for it - no matter what happens you'll probably have to officially do that anyway.

Depending on who you interview with you could bring it up. If it's a general HR person, then mention it. If it's a department manager and is NOT the same one for the other job, then I wouldn't mention it.

If you get/take the job you've applied for, will you be unhappy? Do you have the luxury of withdrawing your app for the first job and just apply for the second?

Old 11-21-2013, 08:16 PM

I'd rather not. I'm a cautious guy and like to hedge my bets. I don't have anything against this job that I'll be interviewing for, and I know I could do it well. The other job just seems more up my alley and meets a more detailed skill set. It does seem I'll be interviewing with a department head, not a general HR person. So I should probably just apply for the other one, eh? But then that puts me in an awkward spot, too. What if I get both? The second obviously after I start work on the first?

Old 11-21-2013, 09:13 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
I would suck it up. If they feel you're better suited for the other job, let them bring it up.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:27 PM

533 posts, read 1,112,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
I'd rather not. I'm a cautious guy and like to hedge my bets. I don't have anything against this job that I'll be interviewing for, and I know I could do it well. The other job just seems more up my alley and meets a more detailed skill set. It does seem I'll be interviewing with a department head, not a general HR person. So I should probably just apply for the other one, eh? But then that puts me in an awkward spot, too. What if I get both? The second obviously after I start work on the first?

Someone had a thread about a similar situation a week or so ago and if I remember correctly, people told the OP not to bring it up during the interview. During that OP's interview, the interviewer actually brought up the other job though.

I don't think I'd apply for the other job... it may look weird. Just my 2 cents though.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:05 AM

Thanks for the advice, folks. Maybe it's best if I just see if I get this job and use it as an entry point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search