Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 07:27 AM

544 posts, read 1,439,573 times

Advertisements

I have a love/hate relationship with them. I get calls and emails all the time for IT positions, most of them are beyond the location I'm willing to move from. A LOT of IT position IN the USA have now been off shored to recruiters in India which is ridiculous because A) YOU CANNOT UNDERSTAND THEM, and B) Their TIME ZONE is opposite of ours, i.e., when they're working days it's night time here.

I want to put a totally rude statement at the top of my resume on the job boards stating I'm not willing to relocate past a certain area (I just moved to Florida, not moving any time soon), and please don't waste my time and energy with emails and phone calls that you do not respond to. I get emails, I respond with a resume they have already seen on the job board and then I never hear anything again.

On the other hand I've gotten a lot of contract jobs through local outsourcing companies (USA), but I want a permanent position even if it's contract to hire.

At any rate, it's a huge waste of my time to keep following up with these people, not to mention you get excited for NOTHING. It sucks a lot of days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 07:32 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
A lot of them are very unprofessional and are brand new to the field. They suck at their old jobs, so go into recruiting. The EXPERIENCED ones Ive worked with know what theyre doing and get you into a role much faster than the traditional app process. Im a corporate accountant with a Fortune 500 (Top 10) and I constantly get messages from these retarded temp firms asking if Id be interested in a temp position doing clerical accounting work. Im like.....did you even LOOK at my linkedin page??

Old 12-04-2013, 07:38 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
I still get emails and occasional calls from them. Almost all the major companies in my field are churn and burn permatemp companies especially Abbott Labs which is nearby. These sleezy staffing agencies and the companies that use them have destroyed my profession.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 12-04-2013 at 08:52 AM..

Old 12-04-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I still get calls emails and occasional calls from them. Almost all the major companies in my field are churn and burn permatemp companies especially Abbott Labs which is nearby. These sleezy staffing agencies and the companies that use them have destroyed my profession.
LOL...a good friend of mine got in with Abbott on a contract just at the right time, he went permanent I believe right before they froze hiring perm employees. He works from home out of state and goes to Chicago every couple of months or so and works one or two weeks there. He's got a pretty nifty set up as well as stocks and bonuses.

I do agree the staffing agencies are destroying a lot of professions. I just did a two day project that was supposed to take a week at one store and another week in Naples next week. Basically screwed up my unemployment benefits to do it because it was supposed to be a two week project (just wanted to get out of the house kind of thing). At any rate, I know darn well the staffing agency was guaranteed payment for 5 people for the full two weeks, but do you think they'd actually pay us for 40 when we only worked 14 hours this week? A couple of people said they would just go sit at the store for the rest of the week to put n their hours...I was like uh no thanks. I'm emailing them today and telling them I'm not available to work next week's project. Sorry unless you can guarantee me 40 hours, I can't afford it.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:27 AM

What kills me is the recruiter virtually admitted I was a hot candidate because I was young. Age discrimination is illegal, but the company cant be caught if the recruiter is the one doing the "filtering out." He said the key words were "Hes an up and comer" Translation: Hes not 40.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:57 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekocat View Post
LOL...a good friend of mine got in with Abbott on a contract just at the right time, he went permanent I believe right before they froze hiring perm employees. He works from home out of state and goes to Chicago every couple of months or so and works one or two weeks there. He's got a pretty nifty set up as well as stocks and bonuses.

I do agree the staffing agencies are destroying a lot of professions. I just did a two day project that was supposed to take a week at one store and another week in Naples next week. Basically screwed up my unemployment benefits to do it because it was supposed to be a two week project (just wanted to get out of the house kind of thing). At any rate, I know darn well the staffing agency was guaranteed payment for 5 people for the full two weeks, but do you think they'd actually pay us for 40 when we only worked 14 hours this week? A couple of people said they would just go sit at the store for the rest of the week to put n their hours...I was like uh no thanks. I'm emailing them today and telling them I'm not available to work next week's project. Sorry unless you can guarantee me 40 hours, I can't afford it.
The places I've been to with an army of permatemps like my last job was full of demoralized and disengaged workers who hate the company. We'll see having an army of disengaged and actively disengaged workers who have no stake in the companies' success and hate them is a good corporate stategy. I know I was one of the few people able to use their state of the art UPLC system efficiently and I bailed on them the first chance I got.

It just seems so short-sighted and stupid on so many levels, the workers are unmotivated, hate them, they have high turnover losing job knowlegde at a fast pace.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:55 AM

Totally agree. I did a very short project for two days this week, people are demoralized by the pay (going rate here in SW Florida is $10.00 - $12.00 WITH A+ and Associates Degree, are you kidding me???), demoralized by being lied to (this project was supposed to be for two weeks), people are accepting whatever they can to survive. This is why we need minimum wage starting at $15.00 per hour. The recruiting companies are charging a lot of money per hour for their service, and the contractor sees very little of it...and any benefits that are to be had are horrible and expensive.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:03 AM

We dont need minimum wage hikes, thats just a bandaid and a small step in the right direction. We need policies that actually protect the American worker. We have been abused too far beyond what is acceptable. First we had mechanization, then we had outsourcing, then we had insourcing. We are in a race to the bottom. The fact is we need manual labor jobs in this Country because not everyone is cut out for higher education and an advanced position. There is a bell curve to human intelligence, by reducing the number of jobs out there for those at the left side of the curve, those people end up....guess where.....on the government dole! That very thing republicans hate! Yet the republicans dont like legislation for jobs? Legislation that would take people OFF of government dependence? Its no wonder out Country is falling apart....

Old 12-04-2013, 10:49 AM

All too true! They want "Less" government, and yet we all know that American companies don't care about their workers. If they did, we wouldn't need EMPLOYMENT LAWS! Which BTW don't even work most of the time! Labor laws are violated all the time and yet no one cares unless it's happening to 100's of workers.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:39 AM

170 posts, read 373,276 times
How these staffing agencies work is they try to forge relations with real businesses and then sell those businesses temporary workers who will be paid less than the business's actual workers and will be on a tighter leash. Most of the compensation of an individual temp's work goes to him, but a cut of it also goes to the staffing agency and is socialized among the recruiters and other members of the staffing agency in the form of their salaries, while another cut of it is the commission that goes to the recruiter who recruited the individual temp. Hence, staffing agencies are nothing more than middlemen in the employment world, and their recruiters are nothing more than salesmen.

Like any salesman, these recruiters act suspiciously friendly and like to lie and stretch the truth. To the business, they'll say, "Yea, we have thousands of resumes of the types of workers you're looking for, and we've already run a reference check and background check on them," when in fact they try to save time and money by not actually running those checks. To the job seekers, they'll say, "This is a 40-hr week job," when in fact the company bringing you in as a temp is just using you to pick up their extra work that amounts to 15 hrs per week at most. Like I mentioned earlier about being on a shorter leash, you can have your temp assignment pulled at any time, and any little screw-up on the job will be reported to your recruiter who will then call you to yell at you. One final thing I should mention: the salary of these recruiters depends on them doing a certain number of phone and in-person interviews every week, so they spend a lot of time calling people up and leading them down a rabbit trail. I'd estimate that the average recruiter places only one person on a temp assignment every couple weeks or so. They like to exaggerate their ability to place you in a position. I've had like 10 different tech staffing agencies call me with the utmost confidence that they could place me in a position, and the furthest it's ever got is them supposedly "submitting me" for so-and-so position before I never hear back from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search