U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 05:35 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,664,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
I worked in a Senior position in a large corporation for quite awhile without a title. The marketing team was putting together a brochure and decided I needed a title. So they gave me one without checking with me or my boss. No one in our company really cared about titles. So I got a new title that hadn't even existed. Yet if I had applied with the OP and he had looked my title up, I would have been "busted" for not having an "official" title like that. Yet I was doing a great job, was well-rewarded annually with bonuses and raises, and would have had recommendations from all who worked with me.

It seems that rather than nitpicking about a title and calling this a "LIE" I would do a deep reference check and ask lots of questions of those who have worked with this person.

I'm not just talking off the top of my head. In the 35 years I've been in business I've interviewed thousands of people and had numerous positions where HR reported to me.

I thought this was going to be a juicy thread!! You know - candidate lied about every job they ever had, hadn't ever worked in any company you could find, wrong social security number, phone goes to a telemarketing bank, address is an empty lot in a Chicago slum... like that.... I'm just listing those because I have seen every one of them. One of my applicants at one point also turned out to work for one of those secret three letter agencies and was looking for a 'cover' job. That was scary!

Just sayin' that a title infraction is so minor as to not even qualify as a "lie." I agree with another poster, though, who said the cavalier response would raise a red flag and make me do a little deeper checking. But so many people are getting BAD advice on the internet and from friends about how to do a Resume that rocks, I'm not surprised that job inflation is occurring everywhere.

At the end of the day the only questions are: 1) Does he fit here? 2) Can he produce the results that we need?
The true issue is whether or not the OP wants to fight for this candidate. It is apparent that the OP's Department head wants to pass on him. So regardless of whether there is nitpicking about a title, does the OP fight for the candidate or side with the department head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 06:48 PM

300 posts, read 1,016,901 times
Employer/recruiter lied to candidate during interview.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:39 PM

4,986 posts, read 2,670,249 times
Hiring managers are a special kind of ..............

Old 12-06-2013, 07:54 PM

1,736 posts, read 6,099,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Again. You need to actually read the OP's post.
^^^I swear, if everyone on this board took a Fog Index test, 95% would fail.

(Google it.)

Last edited by JTGJR; 12-06-2013 at 08:13 PM..

Old 12-06-2013, 07:59 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,562,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
The true issue is whether or not the OP wants to fight for this candidate. It is apparent that the OP's Department head wants to pass on him. So regardless of whether there is nitpicking about a title, does the OP fight for the candidate or side with the department head.
And that is EXACTLY WHY I ended my post with "At the end of the day the only questions are: 1) Does he fit here? 2) Can he produce the results that we need?"

If the answers to both of those questions are YES, then YES he fights for the guy.
If the answers to those questions are NO, then he sides with the boss.

How is that NOT reading the OP?

Old 12-07-2013, 04:32 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,116,570 times
Sometimes HR systems aren't up to date

Old 12-07-2013, 06:44 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,816,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
And that is EXACTLY WHY I ended my post with "At the end of the day the only questions are: 1) Does he fit here? 2) Can he produce the results that we need?"

If the answers to both of those questions are YES, then YES he fights for the guy.
If the answers to those questions are NO, then he sides with the boss.

How is that NOT reading the OP?
And what if there is another candidate that can both have yes answers? Not worth fighting for in my opinion if they can find someone else their boss doesn't have something against.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:16 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,627,024 times
This has to be the most ridiculous reason to disqualify someone!

I mean...of course it is NOT OK to lie on your resume, but that usually pertains to having jobs you've never had, non existent references, fake references etc...serious stuff, "adding/removing" "senior" from a title is really not a reason to disqualify someone! Maybe you should ask this candidate HOW did that ended up on their resume...I would ask: "So, if you're applying for the senior position, how come your resume is already listing that? Was it a typo, a joke, or are you THAT full of yourself?"

Old 12-07-2013, 03:19 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,537,605 times
I would bring him back in and push a little, asking if there was anything on the resume that wasn't 100% accurate. Don't be specific. See what he says. If he comes clean and has a reasonable explanation, I wouldn't disqualify him over it, but nor would I discount it... i.e. if you have a similarly qualified alternate candidate, that might be enough to sway me the other way. If he's clearly better than the rest, I wouldn't knock him out of the running over just that. If he continues to lie when pushed? I wouldn't do it, especially not if my boss's boss disagrees.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:32 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,424,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
Yes, the candidate is interviewing for the "Sr" position. The red flag came up when they said "I'm already doing the job, I just want the title" but the candidate already had the title according to their resume.

Thanks for the replies so far. I am going to check references either way.
It seems petty to disqualify over this, but regardless of what you believe, your bosses already told you to disqualify him. You're a "Hiring Manager" without true hiring authority it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search