Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 01:33 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,246 times

Advertisements

I have an ethics question for the board. I am currently interviewing candidates for a supervisory position in my organization. After completing the second round of interviews, I have come to find that my top pick listed an incorrect job title on his/her resume. The candidate works in another division of the organization that I work for so I was able to look them up in the system to determine what the actual job title is.

The title he/she listed is the same as his/her actual title except the candidate added the word "senior" to it. Personally, I don't think it's ok to lie on your resume but I don't necessarily think this infraction is worth losing a good candidate over. My department head on the other hand, feels that this candidate should be automatically disqualified. I'm sure I could argue my case and probably win as I am the hiring manager but on the other hand I don't think it would be smart to go against my bosses boss in the long run. Especially if this hire turns out to be a dud.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 01:40 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Is there a senior version of that position?

Does your org have functional titles vs administrative titles? Several places I've worked do that.

Since they're in your organization, I'd probably speak directly to their supervisor and ask them their title and clarify, myself.

Then go from there...

Old 12-05-2013, 01:43 PM

17 posts, read 23,167 times
Disqualifying a candidate over a one word infraction like that seems petty. Sometimes their official title is not a real reflection of the job duties they perform anyway. Your boss is a tight wad.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:44 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times
Tough call. Is there actually a position that exists in the candidate's business unit with the "Sr" title? If not, do they perform slightly elevated responsibilities or does their current manager consider them the "Sr" Title? Could be that's what they refer to this person at in their normal workplace, but it's just not formalized.

If there is a "Sr" position and they just fluffed their résumé, I would not expend the political capital to get your boss to overlook this - fluffing a résumé on an internal application is pretty idiotic and would call into question their overall decision making ability for me.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:00 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,246 times
Yes, the candidate is interviewing for the "Sr" position. The red flag came up when they said "I'm already doing the job, I just want the title" but the candidate already had the title according to their resume.

Thanks for the replies so far. I am going to check references either way.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:03 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times
Yeah. That's a bust, IMO. With your department head pushing back on it too, I'd pass.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:05 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
First thing I do is check with HR. They must know the person't title. And maybe double check with the supervisor. If the answer comes back as "no" that is not the title I would question the candidate directly and see what they have to say.

It is one thing to stretch the truth about an external position, but to do it for a job in the same company seems a bit on the stupid side.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:31 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,932,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
I have an ethics question for the board. I am currently interviewing candidates for a supervisory position in my organization. After completing the second round of interviews, I have come to find that my top pick listed an incorrect job title on his/her resume. The candidate works in another division of the organization that I work for so I was able to look them up in the system to determine what the actual job title is.

The title he/she listed is the same as his/her actual title except the candidate added the word "senior" to it. Personally, I don't think it's ok to lie on your resume but I don't necessarily think this infraction is worth losing a good candidate over. My department head on the other hand, feels that this candidate should be automatically disqualified. I'm sure I could argue my case and probably win as I am the hiring manager but on the other hand I don't think it would be smart to go against my bosses boss in the long run. Especially if this hire turns out to be a dud.

What do you think?
Personally I never look at a resume and in your case I would add a little star besides the candidates name for trying to get ahead by being a tad bit creative.

But then resumes; toss em in the garbage.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:47 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,836 times
Maybe he was demonstrating excessive confidence and thats his resume after he receives the job

I understand the concern but I don't find that to be worth passing over a candidate who is your number one pick, unless it's incredibly close between him and someone else.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 12-05-2013, 02:50 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,355,544 times
I would ask them again what their job title was. Maybe give him a chance to "clarify" and come clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search