U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 05:16 PM

1,049 posts, read 2,519,181 times

Advertisements

My problem with these is that 75% of them are the same old basic STAR behavior type questions. After the first or second interview they should know exactly what your responses will be down to the word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 05:27 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,066,136 times
new normal for some- I have been through this when applying for office type work and oddly enough I had to do the same thing when I applied for a job with blockbuster video.

Why the group interviews, are they truly better/more efficient- no idea but it seems to be the thing right now so there ya go

Old 12-05-2013, 08:14 PM

10,128 posts, read 12,376,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
So I've been interviewing like crazy. One common theme... Companies are running candidates through the gauntlet. Just sat through one with 4 people. Very pleasant interview, non threatening and everyone seemed enthused. So, if I'm selected to proceed, I will have another interview with the president of the company included.

Most interviews I have had in the past were simple. Meet hiring manager or owner, shake hands, have an offer and proceed. Is this the new norm for hiring? Is this only typical for larger companies?
Me too.

I learned over the years I would rather die in the woods alone, dark and hungry than to work for a large corporation. I despise the entire big corporation culture where so often promotions work the opposite of what we expect.... sometimes it isn't just cream that floats to the top

I would rather work as self employed earning half than suckle at the filthy ******* sack of big corporation. From here my respect for big corporations is all down hill.

For me once the company gets over 25 employees it is time to find another job or go into business for myself which I have done twice.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:21 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,058,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It costs a lot (in terms of $$ AND productivity) to make a bad hire.

Companies I am familiar with are trying to save $$ by spending more TIME with candidates on the front end.
Correct, and truthfully, they should have been doing this eons ago. The steps are an excellent way to weed out bad hires who previously would slip through and end up hired.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:49 PM

12,673 posts, read 14,005,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Me too.

I learned over the years I would rather die in the woods alone, dark and hungry than to work for a large corporation. I despise the entire big corporation culture where so often promotions work the opposite of what we expect.... sometimes it isn't just cream that floats to the top

I would rather work as self employed earning half than suckle at the filthy ******* sack of big corporation. From here my respect for big corporations is all down hill.

For me once the company gets over 25 employees it is time to find another job or go into business for myself which I have done twice.
For the most part, I feel the same way. The only issue I have with smaller companies Is lack of upward progression and opportunity. At some point, you begin to want more. In my case, that may or may not be out there, but I will never find out unless I give it a look see.

All things considered though, I agree with everything you've said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Correct, and truthfully, they should have been doing this eons ago. The steps are an excellent way to weed out bad hires who previously would slip through and end up hired.
Yes, but if the bad apple slips through the cracks the first time around, how hard would it be for the same thing to happen again? Aside from this, some people are just good BS artists.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:51 PM

8,931 posts, read 8,394,310 times
As a relatively recent job seeker every interview I went to was a group interview, followed by a series of individual interviews. HR has never had a particularly strong presence in an interview, other than as a dept I would need to work closely with.

As an HM, the custom at my organization is similar. HR screens applications for minimum qualifications. A team then reviews all resumes and decides who will be given in person interviews. A group interview is given, and this may or may not be followed by one or more individual interviews.

The benefit of this process is getting multiple viewpoints. You can often discover racist or sexist views, how people respond to stress, how they prioritize answers, etc.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:56 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,058,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Yes, but if the bad apple slips through the cracks the first time around, how hard would it be for the same thing to happen again? Aside from this, some people are just good BS artists.
Not usually. One technique corps sometimes use is to ask the same question worded differently, at different stages, by different people. Liars have trouble recognizing what is occuring quite often, and will trip themselves up saying contradictory things.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:04 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,723,664 times
Definitely the new norm, and a great sign for you. Good luck!

Old 12-05-2013, 09:15 PM

3,275 posts, read 4,765,146 times
Yeah, the process is ridiculous. I've been on so many interviews lately that I have lost count. My usual routine has been:

1. Phone screen by a recruiter
2. Phone screen by hiring manager
3. In person with hiring manager and then 1 to 2 other people that day
4. In person interviews with more members of the team

It takes forever and, frankly, the whole process has me considering leaving the corporate world entirely. I've started looking at opening or buying a business so I hopefully never have to interview for a corporate position again. Too bad I still need a plan B while I look/research so the interviews continue to eat up many hours a week.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:22 PM

159 posts, read 292,243 times
For me, the interview process is a tell-tale sign of what the work experience will be like at a company. I've learned that in my 6+years of employment after getting my post-grad degree.

If a company feels the need to put me through the ringer to join their workforce, then clearly they are struggling to find what's so great about me...and that will just lead to me having to constantly "prove" myself and my "worthiness."

I'm targeting mid-sized companies, no smaller than 50, but less than 10K employees globally. I'd love to work for a global mid-sized firm that has a flat structure.

I wish more people would be honest about what they need in an employer. It would save a lot of headache. Make room for the people who want to climb the corporate ladder quickly and go somewhere where you can work at peace and feel good about yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search