U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 07:20 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,304,509 times

Advertisements

If I were a member of a team and management was recruiting and interviewing someone who would work closely with the team and me individually, I would want to be actively involved in the hiring of the new team member so we could find someone who had both great technical skills and a chemistry with the team.

If I were an applicant for a professional position, I would want to have the entire team buy into my selection. If they all wanted me, there would be less office politics and the team members would want to work with me after I was hired because they had buy in.

If this takes a bit longer to get hired, I respect that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 07:36 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,184,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
If I were a member of a team and management was recruiting and interviewing someone who would work closely with the team and me individually, I would want to be actively involved in the hiring of the new team member so we could find someone who had both great technical skills and a chemistry with the team.

If I were an applicant for a professional position, I would want to have the entire team buy into my selection. If they all wanted me, there would be less office politics and the team members would want to work with me after I was hired because they had buy in.

If this takes a bit longer to get hired, I respect that.

Agree 100%

Old 12-06-2013, 07:41 AM

3,966 posts, read 9,417,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
So I've been interviewing like crazy. One common theme... Companies are running candidates through the gauntlet. Just sat through one with 4 people. Very pleasant interview, non threatening and everyone seemed enthused. So, if I'm selected to proceed, I will have another interview with the president of the company included.

Most interviews I have had in the past were simple. Meet hiring manager or owner, shake hands, have an offer and proceed. Is this the new norm for hiring? Is this only typical for larger companies?
I was talking about this the other day. Phone screen, interview, 2nd interview, 3rd interview, etc. The whole process is tripe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It costs a lot (in terms of $$ AND productivity) to make a bad hire.

Companies I am familiar with are trying to save $$ by spending more TIME with candidates on the front end.
For $10 to $13 an hour jobs? You are wasting huge amounts of time and money going through a 3 to 5 interview process in hopes the person likes your company.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post

For $10 to $13 an hour jobs? You are wasting huge amounts of time and money going through a 3 to 5 interview process in hopes the person likes your company.

It isn't a waste if you get a good quality employee.

It is a waste if you don't end up with one.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:59 AM

8,804 posts, read 13,297,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It costs a lot (in terms of $$ AND productivity) to make a bad hire.

Companies I am familiar with are trying to save $$ by spending more TIME with candidates on the front end.
The question is does having multiple interviews with everyone including the night janitor all asking the same retarded HR type question result in better chances of a good hire. It has been my observation that not only is the anwser no it often results in a worse hire as you are selecting for a better and better BSer. All you can relaibly get from those types of interviews is can this person act and dress in a professional manner. A technical interview can help assess competence but multiple ones are redundant and inefficient.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
The question is does having multiple interviews with everyone including the night janitor all asking the same retarded HR type question result in better chances of a good hire.

Except in my experience, this doesn't happen. The different groups of people from different levels ask very different questions, and when I ask them questions about the organization, I often get different responses which I have to work through to find what I think is the reality.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,806 posts, read 54,486,657 times
Group interviews have been around a long time, my first was for a managerial position in the 1980s. The idea is to see how people handle a high level meeting on a controversial topic. I have not experienced many situations of multiple interviews, but they are very useful in cases where the new hire will be working with multiple departments at the company. Some companies jump on the latest idea they read about, such things as interviews that are at a restaurant lunch. Whatever you run into you pretty much have to go along with it and handle it as best you can if you want the job.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:34 PM

5,439 posts, read 14,784,739 times
my company throws in the whole department to see what they think about your personality.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:32 PM

16 posts, read 23,226 times
We started doing that a few years back for the following reasons:

1. Saves time for both us and the candidate since more people meet the candidate at a time
2. Different perspectives on the candidate's responses, since each person involved picks up on different things.
3. (unofficially) No one wants full responsibility of the person turns out to be a dud after hire, so liability is shared among those who interviewed for not saying, "Gee, what a whackaloon."

Old 12-06-2013, 06:51 PM

8,743 posts, read 12,196,884 times
isn't all this frustrating considering you may not even know the salary range for most jobs? (and yes, that is important if you're moving on as an experienced professional 80% satisfied at a current position)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search