U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 07:16 PM

2,739 posts, read 1,767,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Usually, a referral from an internal person has a huge advantage over an outsider. Sometimes, they post the job and interview outside candidates to "follow rules" without any intention to hire them.
This whole process is how I got into my line of work many years ago. I was just out of the military and answered an ad along with many other people. We were all in the same room and took a test. They came in with the results, singled out about 1/3 of the people (in front of everyone else) and told them they failed the test and could go. They brought the rest of us into another room and informed us that the position had been filled internally already. This was a national company that everyone has heard of. It really puzzled me why they wasted everyone's time for a couple of hours when they already knew they didn't need anyone.

As we were all filing out, they pulled me aside and told me they had another position for me. I talked to some manager and was hired the same day. I've been in the industry ever since.

I wonder if sometimes they do this to get a pool of applicant they can choose from the next time they have an opening. It's very strange to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 07:19 PM

55,647 posts, read 74,585,953 times
yes both in private and government sector pre selection is huge. but every once in awhile somebody messes up and leaves a door or gate open and guys like u and me get in. dont give up keep trying.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:35 PM

189 posts, read 207,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Well, they shouldn't waste a candidate's time on a futile interview that will end up nowhere. It also wastes the company's time as well and in my experience, I have had to delay some of my work because some of my coworkers weren't available since they were too busy interviewing candidates they had no intention of hiring.
This also makes them look like that they are really busy doing something. Yes they are doing something: they are wasting tax payers' money and wasting the time of those who are called in.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:33 PM

544 posts, read 1,206,383 times
Yeah but at least in just about all government and some companies those openings are posted as "promotional" or internal only and they're not wasting 100's peoples time. It can and does take 2 -3 hour to tailor a resume and fill out an online application. Sheesh!

Old 12-07-2013, 11:53 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,747,775 times
I wonder how many people posting on this forum have gotten jobs by being "pre selected" before the interview process even took place vs. not.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:13 AM

3,245 posts, read 4,367,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I wonder how many people posting on this forum have gotten jobs by being "pre selected" before the interview process even took place vs. not.
Anyone with more than 10,000 posta here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
both in private and government sector pre selection is huge.
45k posts in 6 years? Where do you work?

Old 12-08-2013, 06:51 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,151,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post

I sure have. It was the main reason I did internships in and post undergrad.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:36 AM

5,767 posts, read 4,827,803 times
This happens often. Current employees almost always have the inside track for promotional positions. Especially people from the same department within the organization. Often they just have to "go through the motions" of interviewing multiple people to follow the company protocol for hiring. And yes, they do often discover very qualified applicants other than the insider, and those people may be considered for other positions, or be put on a list for future positions.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:52 AM

3,118 posts, read 4,290,191 times
I just posted a post a few posts down about this for me. I am the internal candidate (finally). They still haven't told me whether or not they are going to hire me though.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:03 AM

7,216 posts, read 12,655,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Higher ed is the same way.
Yep. When I was on the academic job market, I applied for a job, was selected for a phone interview, did well on that, then was one of 3 candidates they invited to campus. When I was on campus, I found out there was an internal candidate, and when I saw her qualifications, it was pretty clear that the job description had been written FOR her (the ad listed 2 areas of specialization that were VERY different from each other -- I remember thinking when I first read the ad that it was odd, but you only HAD to have one of the two, and I did). The internal candidate had worked as an adjunct in the department for several years and had a Ph.D. (not all adjuncts do). Needless to say my heart sank when I realized I had no chance of actually getting the job.

Well, I got it (found out later the internal candidate had not done well in her interviews/presentations). The internal candidate wasn't too nice to me in my first year -- she actually marched into my office, introduced herself, and told me she'd been a candidate for the job too. (I thought that was really odd and I had no idea what to say. "Sorry"? I wasn't sorry!)

I also remember one job I applied to when I was still in grad school. They only brought 2 people to campus, and I was one of them. (The other person got the job. I was bummed at the time, but the job I got later was MUCH better so it worked out well for me.) I found out when I was on campus that the department had been told to increase the number of women on the faculty, so only women were considered. Of course the ad had not said anything like that. I felt bad for all the men who applied who had literally ZERO chance of being hired. (Same thing with academic jobs that are set aside for people of color. I absolutely understand the need to increase faculty of color at many institutions -- I just wish the ads would be clear that if you are white, you have zero chance of being hired. Of course they don't say that.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search