U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 03:46 PM

4,677 posts, read 4,817,302 times

Advertisements

For our agency, if we promote someone internally, we can fill their position with any of the candidates who interviewed without re-advertising the position. Since the job is a step down at that point, often many of the candidates will not take the position, but it does create a useful shortcut in the process for those applicants who do interview, even if they had no shot at the originally advertised job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 04:56 PM

3,118 posts, read 4,290,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ictheshy2013 View Post
This is a great topic and should be discussed even more in different media outlet so action can be taken against it, it is a waste of time and unjust to hopeful candidates. The OP definitely brought up a worthwhile post.
Honestly, there should be a law against it. Its heartbreaking and damages the confidence of the unemployed. To the employed, it makes them look bad to their current employer and makes them lose hope also.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:07 AM

3,032 posts, read 3,789,392 times
I've had this happen to me as an internal candidate, where I interviewed repeatedly when managers already had another internal candidate in mind.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:40 AM

20,199 posts, read 12,109,645 times
some times it is nepotism, sometimes they have other reasons and sometimes, the wheel of fortune just hits your spot! aI am waiting too-- tic toc tic toc,,, please make a decision!!!! -- If you already have some one in mind- great now GO FAST- and move on with it,,, so I can persue other jobs applications I put out there. Where I work we have people who accept the job and then change their minds last minute- this is another reason why they have a few to pick from... their "man" left to go work somewhere else!

Old 12-09-2013, 12:24 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,915,009 times
It's a reason why my husband left his last job. The company had a rule that they had to post all positions and interview every internal candidate that applied for any positions. (outside applicants were just sent a letter of denial) But 9 times out of 10, they already knew who they were going to hire in. (often another internal candidate) The first time he interviewed, he was a "shoo" in based on experience but they brought in less experienced candidate because he was friends with the manager and he was a shoo in. That's when hubby figured it out. He tried once more and then switched companies. Thankfully this new company is very strict in hiring the best experienced candidate and not someone's buddy or that VP's son etc.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:24 PM

8,792 posts, read 13,281,490 times
I've been on some interviews where the interviewers were downright hostile they go out of their way to try and tear you down conduct it like a police interrogation. I wonder if some of the interviews where the interviewers behave like @sses are ones where a candidate were preselected.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:31 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,090,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Honestly, there should be a law against it. Its heartbreaking and damages the confidence of the unemployed. To the employed, it makes them look bad to their current employer and makes them lose hope also.
Just because they may have an internal candidate in mind, doesn't mean that they will absolutely get the position.

It's just that management knows whether or not they can perform the duties of their job and are more likely to choose that candidate. They don't know much about an external candidate, but what's on their resume and how they conduct themselves during the interview.

A lot people can put on an act for a short period of time.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:15 PM

3,118 posts, read 4,290,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
Just because they may have an internal candidate in mind, doesn't mean that they will absolutely get the position.

It's just that management knows whether or not they can perform the duties of their job and are more likely to choose that candidate. They don't know much about an external candidate, but what's on their resume and how they conduct themselves during the interview.

A lot people can put on an act for a short period of time.
I was referring to the posters who said they interview even after they had no plans on hiring an external candidate and do it just because its company policy.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:28 PM

3,279 posts, read 6,604,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I've been on some interviews where the interviewers were downright hostile they go out of their way to try and tear you down conduct it like a police interrogation. I wonder if some of the interviews where the interviewers behave like @sses are ones where a candidate were preselected.
I've been on some dreadful interviews as well. I had one interview with a partner of a small CPA firm. From the moment the guy entered the room (30 minutes late) until I walked out of the door, he did nothing but belittle me. He asked me how many hours I worked that were chargeable to clients over the prior year. I told him 2,000 hours, and he immediately fired back "well, I billed 2,500 hours." He wore a big smirk on his face during the whole thing and basically treated me like an idiot. When I told him I had been laid off, his response was "were you dead weight?" Everything he said was an attempt to run me down and make me feel small. After about 20 minutes, I simply told him I had enough and walked out the door. The little ass hole didn't even get up from his desk or look at me as I was leaving.

Recently, I visited the Glassdoor page for that company out of curiosity, and there were seven long reviews by employees about how high the turnover is there, how it is the most hostile environment they have ever worked in, etc.

I'm very thankful that people like that show their true colors during the interview. It is much better than hiring on and then realizing you work for a real sociopath.

Old 12-14-2013, 06:13 PM

226 posts, read 276,814 times
I have a job interview coming up, a state job and I fear it will be just a waste of time. I sure hope not because I have to travel for it hoping for a position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search