U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 07:53 PM

1,544 posts, read 2,066,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Life doesn't work on what people "should" do. It sucks but that's life.

This many many time, somewhat similar to "there should be no war and no hunger" but alas the ideal world and the real world don't always collide.

At the very best at I see at least as a chance to work my interview skills and of course burning gas to an interview where I never even have a shot is always fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 08:33 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,759,971 times
One of the reasons companies might have a policy of requiring an interview process even with a preferred candidate is because employees will complain if there is not one. I can see it being a no win situation some times. Don't have interviews and just make the decision and employees feel shut out. Have interviews even when you have a preferred candidate and employees feel like they are wasting their time.

My last company would actually say on internal job postings if a preferred candidate was identified.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:47 PM

16,408 posts, read 28,886,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
One of the reasons companies might have a policy of requiring an interview process even with a preferred candidate is because employees will complain if there is not one. I can see it being a no win situation some times. Don't have interviews and just make the decision and employees feel shut out. Have interviews even when you have a preferred candidate and employees feel like they are wasting their time.

My last company would actually say on internal job postings if a preferred candidate was identified.
Well how about just keep it internal then instead of also advertising the position publicly and dragging in all and sundry to apply needlessly?

Old 12-14-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Well how about just keep it internal then instead of also advertising the position publicly and dragging in all and sundry to apply needlessly?
Different companies have different rules. We generally only go external if we don't like what we see after posting the job internally. There are times though when we are just don't think there is anyone internally and post externally at the same time or if there is an extreme urgency to the hire and we don't have time to wait and see what happens internally first.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Different companies have different rules. We generally only go external if we don't like what we see after posting the job internally. There are times though when we are just don't think there is anyone internally and post externally at the same time or if there is an extreme urgency to the hire and we don't have time to wait and see what happens internally first.
I am talking about when the job vacancy is already filled and there really is no need to interview ANYONE, which is what this thread is about.

As per the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Before I go any further, I want to mention that I work for a gigantic non government organization that I am sure 99% of all Americans have heard of. I recently had a conversation with my coworkers about jobs and interviews. These coworkers of mine work often with hiring managers and often know what is going on during the job interview and etc. They told me that in many job interviews that were conducted that there was absolutely no intention to hire anyone they interviewed no matter how well the candidate performed in the interview or how strong the candidate's resume was. The hiring managers often already chose a person before the process began and were only conducting interviews because it was mandated by the organization and the government. Essentially, it was like the Rooney Rule only it applies to everyone not just minorities. I told them that this is quite cruel to the candidates and they agreed although they said there is nothing they can do about it.

In any case, to people who have been suffering from job rejections, don't always assume it is due to a bad interview or resume; in many cases it is because the hiring manager simply already chose someone before the job hiring process began.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:18 PM

Other people have pointed out how even in situations like that things have worked out. They made a connection at the company. Or there was another position they found out about. Or just getting some interview practice.

Sometimes the polices are also in place for legal reasons.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Other people have pointed out how even in situations like that things have worked out. They made a connection at the company. Or there was another position they found out about. Or just getting some interview practice.

Sometimes the polices are also in place for legal reasons.
Would you want some HR guy getting interview practice on you?

LMAO! Yeah sure. Name me some laws that dictate employers must advertise open positions and interview people for them even if they've already picked their job candidate and they're done. Talk about counterproductive!

Old 12-14-2013, 10:18 PM

826 posts, read 1,637,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
I've been on some dreadful interviews as well. I had one interview with a partner of a small CPA firm. From the moment the guy entered the room (30 minutes late) until I walked out of the door, he did nothing but belittle me. He asked me how many hours I worked that were chargeable to clients over the prior year. I told him 2,000 hours, and he immediately fired back "well, I billed 2,500 hours." He wore a big smirk on his face during the whole thing and basically treated me like an idiot. When I told him I had been laid off, his response was "were you dead weight?" Everything he said was an attempt to run me down and make me feel small. After about 20 minutes, I simply told him I had enough and walked out the door. The little ass hole didn't even get up from his desk or look at me as I was leaving.

Recently, I visited the Glassdoor page for that company out of curiosity, and there were seven long reviews by employees about how high the turnover is there, how it is the most hostile environment they have ever worked in, etc.

I'm very thankful that people like that show their true colors during the interview. It is much better than hiring on and then realizing you work for a real sociopath.
Sorry you had to go through that.
What an a$$h@l@. Some people are truly inhumane.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Would you want some HR guy getting interview practice on you?

LMAO! Yeah sure. Name me some laws that dictate employers must advertise open positions and interview people for them even if they've already picked their job candidate and they're done. Talk about counterproductive!
I'm saying the person being interviewed is getting practice. That can be valuable.

I didn't say there was a law requiring it. Just like there isn't a law that says employers can only confirm date of employment and salary. But many still do to protect themselves legally.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:50 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,813,921 times
Quote:
I'm saying the person being interviewed is getting practice. That can be valuable.

I didn't say there was a law requiring it. Just like there isn't a law that says employers can only confirm date of employment and salary. But many still do to protect themselves legally.
How is it practice or how is it valuable if the candidate is getting absolutely no worthwhile feedback?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search