U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 12:59 PM

15,730 posts, read 26,766,913 times

Advertisements

I mentioned this in another post. We are an equal opportunity Employer EOE. Even if you have a candidate that could do the job you have to allow others to apply for the position even if your plan is to hire that person.

Next time you are checking on the job boards look for interesting application requirements.

Lets say: Looking for someone that has an MBA with an emphasis in finance, has worked as a Locksmith, manages groups well, 5 years as a project manager, understands employment law.

You may have every thing accept the Locksmith background. Now you will be asking yourself why in the world did they need someone with a locksmith background. Chances are they don't but it sure makes it hard to find anyone else to fill that position doesn't it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 01:14 PM

552 posts, read 700,173 times
Blah blah blah Equal Opportunity this and that... yeah yeah yeah yeah....

They need to change it to " we don't want to get sued, so we'll go through the motions and make something up as to why we don't want to hire someone" rule

Old 06-27-2014, 02:13 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,713,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I mentioned this in another post. We are an equal opportunity Employer EOE. Even if you have a candidate that could do the job you have to allow others to apply for the position even if your plan is to hire that person.

Next time you are checking on the job boards look for interesting application requirements.

Lets say: Looking for someone that has an MBA with an emphasis in finance, has worked as a Locksmith, manages groups well, 5 years as a project manager, understands employment law.

You may have every thing accept the Locksmith background. Now you will be asking yourself why in the world did they need someone with a locksmith background. Chances are they don't but it sure makes it hard to find anyone else to fill that position doesn't it.
here's an extreme example of that kind of thing that was going around social media a couple of weeks ago:

Santa Clara adjunct job ad startles many by requiring candidates to have written 25 books @insidehighered

Basic Qualifications
The successful applicant will have at least 25 books on topics ranging from the history of Silicon Valley to the biography of microprocessing to interviews with entrepreneurs to the history of human and mechanical memory; will have been published by presses such as Harper/Collins, Doubleday, Random House, St. Martinís, and SUNY Press; will also have e-books on topics such as home life in the US, home life in the UK, and water conservation; will have worked as both a journalist for a print newspaper and for magazines; will have hosted television and radio productions for PBS, cable television, and ABC; will have worked in electronic media such as being editor of Forbes ASAP or a weekly columnist for ABC.com; will have founded or co-founded at least two start-ups; will have professional connections to Oxford University in the UK as well as to numerous media (print, electronic, and television) in the SF Bay Area and beyond. The successful applicant must have demonstrated experience in teaching nonfiction writing and internship classes for undergraduates, must have demonstrated success in helping undergraduates secure internships in public writing that lead to jobs, and must be committed to working with undergraduates.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:10 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,213,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
here's an extreme example of that kind of thing that was going around social media a couple of weeks ago:

Santa Clara adjunct job ad startles many by requiring candidates to have written 25 books @insidehighered
The most important sentence from that article: "In fact, only one person meets these requirements: the internal candidate Santa Clara had already planned to rehire."

Old 06-27-2014, 06:04 PM
JL

7,351 posts, read 11,882,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Before I go any further, I want to mention that I work for a gigantic non government organization that I am sure 99% of all Americans have heard of. I recently had a conversation with my coworkers about jobs and interviews. These coworkers of mine work often with hiring managers and often know what is going on during the job interview and etc. They told me that in many job interviews that were conducted that there was absolutely no intention to hire anyone they interviewed no matter how well the candidate performed in the interview or how strong the candidate's resume was. The hiring managers often already chose a person before the process began and were only conducting interviews because it was mandated by the organization and the government. Essentially, it was like the Rooney Rule only it applies to everyone not just minorities. I told them that this is quite cruel to the candidates and they agreed although they said there is nothing they can do about it.

In any case, to people who have been suffering from job rejections, don't always assume it is due to a bad interview or resume; in many cases it is because the hiring manager simply already chose someone before the job hiring process began.
You should let me know what company it is so that i can get some interviewing practice while wearing shorts and t-shirt along with sneakers. I'm sure they don't mind anyway.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:35 PM

226 posts, read 276,875 times
It is a huge waste of time and don't appreciate it. It sucks.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:44 PM

895 posts, read 1,176,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Of course it does, you just don't understand. A company goes through the interview process with 2 or 3 candidates to see what they know right? But despite their knowledge, the hiring manager already knows he has been instructed to hired the presidents nephew (or an existing employee). Thats exactly what the OP was asking about, and the age old saying is spot on. I'm not even clear how anyone of hiring age has never heard that parable.

Actually, I never have as I always was hired from the outside and never worked a typical corporate job. I was not until I worked over the past couple years in real office with politics finding out how this works. Even now this is a new revelation for me. Everyone just does not do the typical path.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:15 AM

1,091 posts, read 1,046,257 times
A lot of companies have a benefit where you can apply for other jobs within the company and transfer, usually as a means of advancing your career. The company will advertise it as such. Because of this they are going to consider internal candidates who would advance their careers. If they can't find anyone there, they will consider external candidates. As stated above, they will post these jobs for various reasons even if they are considering internal candidates. If you promote an internal candidate, they are happy, and more likely to stay and their pay raise is probably under what they would have paid an external hire. Happy workers = stay at the company = less $$$ to pay in retention, recruitment, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search