Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 08:19 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times

Advertisements

I think this is the way most places work, I have found in my 38 years of working. My company, a non-profit tech/manufacturing facility, is required to interview a few people, but they always have the person picked out well in advance of the interview. Its so obvious we sometimes try to figure out who a new job posting was meant for. I wouldnt complain, because you, like I have, might benefit from it one day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 08:21 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Before I go any further, I want to mention that I work for a gigantic non government organization that I am sure 99% of all Americans have heard of. I recently had a conversation with my coworkers about jobs and interviews. These coworkers of mine work often with hiring managers and often know what is going on during the job interview and etc. They told me that in many job interviews that were conducted that there was absolutely no intention to hire anyone they interviewed no matter how well the candidate performed in the interview or how strong the candidate's resume was. The hiring managers often already chose a person before the process began and were only conducting interviews because it was mandated by the organization and the government. Essentially, it was like the Rooney Rule only it applies to everyone not just minorities. I told them that this is quite cruel to the candidates and they agreed although they said there is nothing they can do about it.

In any case, to people who have been suffering from job rejections, don't always assume it is due to a bad interview or resume; in many cases it is because the hiring manager simply already chose someone before the job hiring process began.
I have known this for about 25 years now, it is not a new trend no matter what company you work for.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:34 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
This is typical.

The huge DoD contractor I used to work for pulled this stunt all the time.

1) Old department manager left in March.

2) New, internal candidate was picked in April. The person chosen was lacking in leadership ability and was a screaming sociopath - just the type they like.

3) Job was posted on the website in May... which meant nothing since nobody who applied had any hope of getting the job since they had already picked the person. This was done just to keep Legal happen.

But "there are so many jobs out there!" and "it's the fault of the unemployed for not being able to find work." Right...

Old 12-08-2013, 08:40 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Well, they shouldn't waste a candidate's time on a futile interview that will end up nowhere. It also wastes the company's time as well and in my experience, I have had to delay some of my work because some of my coworkers weren't available since they were too busy interviewing candidates they had no intention of hiring.
Many times, the company likes to have a 'pool' of candidates that they can choose from the next time. Even if a candidate didn't get this particular job; their resume would go on top of the pile for the next round of hiring. My company did this all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Sometimes, many times, interviewing and meeting people in the org when you don't get the job (and never would as they had their candidate) can provide huge dividends down the line. Three times I've been called and asked to apply for a position (and gotten two of them) after interviewing and being passed over for prior positions because I made a good impression when I did interview.
Exactly.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:39 AM

870 posts, read 1,569,687 times
[quote=Ringo1;32532294]Many times, the company likes to have a 'pool' of candidates that they can choose from the next time. Even if a candidate didn't get this particular job; their resume would go on top of the pile for the next round of hiring. My company did this all the time.

Sometimes it could be months or years until that position is available again that good candidate could have another job.

I can understand why companies do this, but the interviewee had to take time off from work for a "doctor's appointment." Too many appointments, I mean interviews, for jobs that don't exist is mentally exhausting and your current boss may become suspicious. It seems like a jerky policy to me to get people's hopes up with no intention of hiring them.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:14 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,925 times
Quote:
In any case, to people who have been suffering from job rejections, don't always assume it is due to a bad interview or resume; in many cases it is because the hiring manager simply already chose someone before the job hiring process began.
Of course, was this a new revelation to you? Been happening forever and always will. Where do you think the phrase "It's not what you know, but who you know" came from?

Old 12-08-2013, 12:41 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Of course, was this a new revelation to you? Been happening forever and always will. Where do you think the phrase "It's not what you know, but who you know" came from?
I wasn't aware of this practice. And your quote says nothing about his point which is that they interview other candidates when they aren't in the running for a job. If you already know who you are going to hire, common sense tells you not to waste yours and other peoples by interviewing them if they have no chance. Your quote has nothing to do with that and doesn't "come from that."

Old 12-08-2013, 02:15 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
I wasn't aware of this practice. And your quote says nothing about his point which is that they interview other candidates when they aren't in the running for a job. If you already know who you are going to hire, common sense tells you not to waste yours and other peoples by interviewing them if they have no chance. Your quote has nothing to do with that and doesn't "come from that."
Of course it does, you just don't understand. A company goes through the interview process with 2 or 3 candidates to see what they know right? But despite their knowledge, the hiring manager already knows he has been instructed to hired the presidents nephew (or an existing employee). Thats exactly what the OP was asking about, and the age old saying is spot on. I'm not even clear how anyone of hiring age has never heard that parable.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:22 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Of course it does, you just don't understand. A company goes through the interview process with 2 or 3 candidates to see what they know right? But despite their knowledge, the hiring manager already knows he has been instructed to hired the presidents nephew (or an existing employee). Thats exactly what the OP was asking about, and the age old saying is spot on. I'm not even clear how anyone of hiring age has never heard that parable.
Everyone has heard of it, but the saying has nothing to do with employers interviewing external canidates needlessly because they already chose an internal candidate. The employer could just have well interviewed no external candidates at all and the saying would still apply. And usually they don't interview others if they already picked out their internal one.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:33 PM

22 posts, read 27,247 times
This is a great topic and should be discussed even more in different media outlet so action can be taken against it, it is a waste of time and unjust to hopeful candidates. The OP definitely brought up a worthwhile post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search