Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 11:52 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by princymelba View Post
People who are studying in college their teachers should teach them how to write resumes and how to face the world with it.. failing so these mistakes happen..
Not all teachers are current in the market for those graduates. At least those in business programs are NOT like that and still have a pulse on the modern situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 03:06 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princymelba View Post
People who are studying in college their teachers should teach them how to write resumes and how to face the world with it.. failing so these mistakes happen..
No, that would be a terrible use of instructional time.

Professors should teach the content of the class as listed in the course catalog. If that is nuclear physics, sculpture, HVAC systems or enlightenment era French lit, that is the subject matter that should be taught. Having a section of each class related to résumé writing is a horribly inefficient duplication of effort and reduces time spent on subject matter.

Take a separate class on résumé writing, use the universities job placement office, hire a consultant or get a friend to help. But don't waste education on peripheral stuff like résumé writing.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:28 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

Professors should teach the content of the class as listed in the course catalog. If that is nuclear physics, sculpture, HVAC systems or enlightenment era French lit, that is the subject matter that should be taught. Having a section of each class related to résumé writing is a horribly inefficient duplication of effort and reduces time spent on subject matter.

Take a separate class on résumé writing, use the universities job placement office, hire a consultant or get a friend to help. But don't waste education on peripheral stuff like résumé writing.
I agree. I think more efforts should be made in high school as well. Our career services was non-existent.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:31 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
Quote:

I agree. Writing a resume can be easily self taught with just a little research. It isn't difficult.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:34 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I agree. I think more efforts should be made in high school as well. Our career services was non-existent.
Agreed. It could very easily be a high school class related to business writing and job hunting.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:28 PM

453 posts, read 631,911 times
Quote:

THIS.

I learned to write a resume in a high school typing class. But people don't write them like that anymore. They don't write them the way I learned in the career services placement center as a college student, either. I learned how to update my resume to a modern format by noodling around online for examples and by talking to a couple of expert friends who do it professionally.

It isn't rocket science.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:39 PM

278 posts, read 308,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I agree, there are many "hobbies" that become invested is different. Boy Scouts as a leader or youth is rashly misunderstood. It is not simply boys going camping, there's a lot of planning for monthly programming for the troops. At some points during the year, I spent an entire week doing Boy Scout outings due to troop meetings, Order of the Arrow Chapter meetings, Order of the Arrow elections, service projects and outings. That requires time management to work school in there. Also it takes teaching ability, something I had through being a troop guide, instructor, den chief and junior assistant scout master. I spent much time with younger scouts helping them become better scouts and learning skills.

I am not butt hurt about it because there are fewer people in the scouting program now (for issues I've said earlier in this thread) so not as many people know of the skills one learn from it. It is hard to convey that to others without lugging my huge Eagle Scout service project binder to every interview I go to.
It bothers me that as. Brownie and. Girl scout i did not get to go camping. We went to parks, made brownies, sold $100s worth cookies as free labor for the chance to get a fifteen cent plastic keychain/flashlight/cupthe chance to and sang that song about friendship. Why do the boys get all the fun? Any girl scouts here who actually got to do any scouting?

Ps good post, thumbs up. I still woul list it under Leadership not Hobbies.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:54 PM

453 posts, read 631,911 times
I'd list scouting under Leadership too. It isn't a hobby. Anyway, a hobby is something you currently engage in, and not an organizational membership you held years ago.

(I remember being a Brownie. No camping for my troop either. By the time I got to Girl Scouts, I was thoroughly bored and dropped out.)

I did spend about a decade and a half in a leadership training and community service organization in the second half of my 20s and throughout my 30s. Learned a lot about managing time, people and projects. Climbed the ladder of experience, held offices all the way up to state level, and made a lot of contacts and connections. I list that on my resume under Experience, because it is and it's completely relevant to my career aspirations. Frankly, it was a lot like having an additional job half the time, given how much work I put into it. Anyone who has the time and can find something like that to take part in might benefit from doing so when it comes to making networking connections you can use in the business world.

Last edited by Kineticity; 12-12-2013 at 06:16 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 09:32 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
I'm in agreement that the recent waves of college graduates leave us to wonder whether or not they've actually composed anything beyond a paragraph in English.

The flip side is, I think we're living in a time when the written word is becoming less and less important. Think about how most people now communicate: tweets and facebook posts. We basically compose short blurbs about what we're doing, and how we're feeling. And we've basically learned to accept that our friends and associates might not be grammarians. The thing is, I know executives now make all kinds of grammatical and spelling errors. Doesn't seem to matter. We've accepted it. If we really need to write something important, we just outsource it to someone else, but there are already programs that can automate that.

Beyond that, I tend to think that there are going to be more and more 'video' resumes. People are probably more interested in how someone looks three-dimensionally anyway. A resume or a CV just doesn't say much about someone except for their work history and their formatting skills - and we can't even be sure that it's really their own formatting at work.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:40 PM

278 posts, read 308,501 times
Talking Refry this

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post

I'm in agreement that the recent waves of college graduates leave us to wonder whether or not they've actually composed anything beyond a paragraph in English.

Totes

Think about how most people now communicate: tweets and facebook posts.

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]lol -FAIL[/color]

our friends and associates might not be grammarians.

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]For reals?[/color]

. A resume or a CV just doesn't say much about someone

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]Actually, kind sir (or Madame ), it says it all. [/color]

L
I must enter characters to post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search