U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 09:44 PM

278 posts, read 243,537 times

Advertisements

^^^ ack. Dagnabbit, Ipad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 09:51 PM

453 posts, read 521,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHowdy View Post
^^^ ack. Dagnabbit, Ipad!
Technology's great when it works. The rest of the time, not so much...

Old 12-12-2013, 11:00 PM

27,493 posts, read 15,870,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I'm in agreement that the recent waves of college graduates leave us to wonder whether or not they've actually composed anything beyond a paragraph in English.

The flip side is, I think we're living in a time when the written word is becoming less and less important. Think about how most people now communicate: tweets and facebook posts. We basically compose short blurbs about what we're doing, and how we're feeling. And we've basically learned to accept that our friends and associates might not be grammarians. The thing is, I know executives now make all kinds of grammatical and spelling errors. Doesn't seem to matter. We've accepted it. If we really need to write something important, we just outsource it to someone else, but there are already programs that can automate that.

Beyond that, I tend to think that there are going to be more and more 'video' resumes. People are probably more interested in how someone looks three-dimensionally anyway. A resume or a CV just doesn't say much about someone except for their work history and their formatting skills - and we can't even be sure that it's really their own formatting at work.
I know the business graduates from Northern Arizona University can write. The issue I see is that we live in a society of spell check and grammar check. I use Google Chrome and it has a built in spell check. It will tell me that Facebook is wrong when using a lower-case f but that's all. Now you look at when I use Swype on my phone to post, it is straight-up ugly because of the close words to type and the fact proofreading on a phone is tough.

Very good post. Though I don't know if video resumes are a good or bad thing due to the stereotyping you can get from the way someone looks.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:22 AM

5,280 posts, read 5,206,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I hope other's stink. Mine will shine through.
I used to get resumes for one of my jobs and most of the people with awful resumes were employed. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
As for accomplishments, I've done some such as becoming Eagle Scout and being apart of many boy scout events. However most people just pass on that. One interviewer even asked my brother (a fellow Eagle Scout) "What is an Eagle Scout and why should that impress me?"
I'd leave it on---it has been beneficial for my husband. He's had positive responses to it. And if someone needs an explanation about something (like I have an achievement on my resume from when I graduated top two in my program which they obviously will not know about based on the name of the award) then I will gladly explain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
As someone that back in my corporate days, hired hundreds of people, and read thousands of resumes, I can tell you that being an Eagle Scout has no place on a resume. Who cares. You may think it is a great accomplishment, but should only be on a resume if you are applying for something to do with boy scouts.

A resume, is to sell the employer on you as a prospective employer and tells why you should have that job. The Hiring Manager will not care what your hobbies are, is you were a boy scout or eagle scout, they don't have time when seeing your resume to waste their time on this type of unneeded information.

Fact: If the resume does not impress the potential employer within 20 to 30 seconds, your are going to be rejected as they move on to the next resume. A two page resume, is maximum size. If the person reading the resume sees 8 pages as an example, they are not going to read it. They know that the resume has everything but the kitchen sink in it, and just go on to another one.

Fact: Every resume submitted, should be specifically designed for the one job you are applying for. NEVER, and I mean NEVER use a one size fits all resume. Submit one that shows your qualifications for a specific job. General 1 size fits all resumes, do not get you hired. If you want a job, with the ability we have using a computer, we can tailor each resume for a specific job, so do it.
Many people will put Eagle Scout on their resume. My friend even puts it on as a veterinarian. Twenty to thirty seconds? You're giving people too much credit. Most of the time they don't read it anyway.

BTW-Not every resume has to be specifically designed for a job. I had a resume that was "one size fits all" because I was applying for the same type of job. (Same title, same field, over and over again.) I do not think this is the case for every person but there are some fields where it simply does not make sense to make all different resumes. (Yes, the cover letter should be different.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
HA! Glad we got to the BOTTOM of the problem! IF you post serious/real jobs on Craigslist why in the world would you expect appropriate candidates!? That's where people go when they can't find a job through career builder, indeed.com, etc. Craigslist is for outcasts who can't get jobs any other way! Most jobs on Craigslist as a DISGRACE to society as it is! Most want people to WORK FOR FREE, or peanuts!
CareerBuilder/Monster/Etc. = Garbage. I'd go with Indeed over those any day since that's more of an aggregation of jobs and because I find less annoying people contact you through indeed.

BTW-Posts on CL depend on geographical region and job type. My husband's company posts on CL and they're a global company with offices in twenty eight different countries. My previous job was also via CL. Writing/Designing/Etc. are usually really crappy sections for jobs.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:32 AM

4,556 posts, read 3,672,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHowdy View Post
It bothers me that as. Brownie and. Girl scout i did not get to go camping. We went to parks, made brownies, sold $100s worth cookies as free labor for the chance to get a fifteen cent plastic keychain/flashlight/cupthe chance to and sang that song about friendship. Why do the boys get all the fun? Any girl scouts here who actually got to do any scouting?

Ps good post, thumbs up. I still woul list it under Leadership not Hobbies.
Yes. I went all the way up to Ambassador and even helped run the camps for the young ones once I reached the top of the ranks.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:37 AM

4,556 posts, read 3,672,882 times
But on a real note more related to this thread, all colleges have Career Services. I have been planning to stop by this week to see if they would help me write my resume, actually, because I plan on actually applying for more "professional" jobs for next semester. I wonder if they will help a lot, I'll write back if they do.

And in high school, I had to write a resume in Junior year as part of an assignment. I was in the Honors class, and none of us knew what we were doing. We were told that there needed to be bullet points, have a heading with an address, phone number, and name at the top, and it could be no longer than a page. What was important was experience, education, and accomplishments. Literally everyone in my class, and yes including myself, had the teacher pretty much compose it, since she said our sentences were too lengthy or yada yada.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:46 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,636,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kineticity View Post
I'd list scouting under Leadership too. It isn't a hobby. Anyway, a hobby is something you currently engage in, and not an organizational membership you held years ago.

(I remember being a Brownie. No camping for my troop either. By the time I got to Girl Scouts, I was thoroughly bored and dropped out.)

I did spend about a decade and a half in a leadership training and community service organization in the second half of my 20s and throughout my 30s. Learned a lot about managing time, people and projects. Climbed the ladder of experience, held offices all the way up to state level, and made a lot of contacts and connections. I list that on my resume under Experience, because it is and it's completely relevant to my career aspirations. Frankly, it was a lot like having an additional job half the time, given how much work I put into it. Anyone who has the time and can find something like that to take part in might benefit from doing so when it comes to making networking connections you can use in the business world.
But what if you never been nor want to be in a leadership position?
Why should that he held against you?

Here's what I consider my accomplishment: "Quit smoking Marlboro's while my spiteful husband smoked in front of me purposely blowing smoke in my face!"

Can I put that on my resume? (In 140 characters or less?)

Old 12-13-2013, 05:19 AM

13,840 posts, read 18,864,285 times
not only that , but have you seen how some people dress for interviews as well ? I mean some of the young women that go in are in a white blouse with a colored bra and not buttoned up showing big boobs and skirts so high you can see their undies . I mean my god , do they actually think someone will take them seriously and think they really want the job or on the hunt for a man ...Ugh !!! and then there are the young men with pants down around their ankles and showing underwear and cannot fill out an application because they dont have a pen LOL ....

Old 12-13-2013, 05:32 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,636,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
not only that , but have you seen how some people dress for interviews as well ? I mean some of the young women that go in are in a white blouse with a colored bra and not buttoned up showing big boobs and skirts so high you can see their undies . I mean my god , do they actually think someone will take them seriously and think they really want the job or on the hunt for a man ...Ugh !!! and then there are the young men with pants down around their ankles and showing underwear and cannot fill out an application because they dont have a pen LOL ....
SADLY The "attire" problem is a lot bigger than just the interview.

Unfortunately women have no idea how to dress appropriately in the US. The % that do is something like 0.00001%.

I see young women all slouched, with NON fitting clothes...clothes hanging, wearing inappropriate things non stop. It's a problem that in my opinion needs to be addressed in elementary school and continued all through high school because it is devastating to see these young women looking so horrible in a country where there is no shortage of clothing items.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:38 AM

8,853 posts, read 13,352,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Someone is going to be shallow enough to hire them because they want to get in her pants or at least imagine it. I guarantee it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or