Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 05:19 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times

Advertisements

BTW Some companies don't want word type resumes! They expect creative resume from creatives. Kelby Media is one of them if you must know. Someone got a job there because they sent their resume in a black round wine like box with a scroll type resume in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 05:21 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
There are many great writers who develop a terrible resume because they don't use the basic rules of resume writing or don't describe their skills and accomplishments very well in relation to the target job.
...one question: why should we list accomplishments? what I consider an accomplishment an HR person might consider stupid, trivial, or unimportant, so why bother?

Old 12-10-2013, 05:24 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
...one question: why should we list accomplishments? what I consider an accomplishment an HR person might consider stupid, trivial, or unimportant, so why bother?
You better get up to speed on resume writing. The accomplishment statements are the most important part of your resume. Here is something to read about this:

Developing "WOW" Accomplishments for Your Resume

Old 12-10-2013, 07:32 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post

Because what really matters is what you can get done. Get accomplished.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:36 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Because what really matters is what you can get done. Get accomplished.
I strongly agree. Many resumes I have seen list the basic functions of duties performed in a generic format. It's about standing out from the often pile of resumes companies receive.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:59 AM

453 posts, read 632,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
While I agree with you those are bad examples, I don't agree with your last point. A lot of employers want you to include personal information. It is to show that you are a person with interest, and not just a robot.

Although, I don't live in America. Maybe it is different there.
I agree with you on this, and I do live in the US. I still add a single sentence listing my hobbies to the end of my resume. In my case these are reading, creative writing, historical research, hiking, camping, vocal music, folk dance and theater. A couple of times I've gotten jobs partly because the hiring manager read that sentence and thought I sounded like a well-rounded, interesting person she'd enjoy having on the team. They told me this straight up in the interviews.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't be very happy working for anyone who didn't care whether or not I had a life outside work (or who preferred I didn't), so if nothing else it has the potential to serve as a device for weeding out employers who would be a bad fit for me.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:09 AM

453 posts, read 632,153 times
Quote:
There are many great writers who develop a terrible resume because they don't use the basic rules of resume writing or don't describe their skills and accomplishments very well in relation to the target job.
That's absolutely true. It's part of why I posted the offer.

Hell, I just rewrote my own resume and put it in a completely different, updated format. Not that there was anything wrong with the old one, which was perfectly correct and acceptable, but for my background and purposes it just wasn't the best showcase for what I have to offer. Thus far, the new one is garnering me a LOT more attention. I'm working contract jobs at present while gearing up to relocate for personal reasons, and I wanted to give the new resume a good test run before I have to start relying on it to get me interviews for the job that will let me move. Suffice it to say that I seem to have a hit on my hands.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:04 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
Isn't some personal info relevant?

What do you do in your spare time... watch TV and play video games all day or go do something that shows you have a little ambition?

I think especially here in Vermont,... a lot of outdoorsy companies would want to know that you walk the walk. I know 1 place I applied , where the job had nothing to do with dogs, wanted to hire dog lovers and would allow you to bring your dog to work

Old 12-10-2013, 01:49 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,805 times
I like to see pictures

Fact, I think it kind of weird anyone saying they don't.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:56 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
But most people refuse to have a professional write it.
In the past I paid big money to have my resume professionally written. It didn't get me any jobs. Moreover, one of the people who read my resume called me and told me that with my awesome qualifications I should be a real estate agent. Following that advice was the WORST decision I ever made in my life.

I have an excellent resume now and it has serviced me well. It takes a lot of trial and error. My Department of Economic Security (Job Service) will help you write your resume, I'm sure all states have similar services available and god knows, there is plenty of information on the internet.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search