U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 10:09 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,058,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
well yes, larger companies can afford to do this, smaller firms cannot. i was addressing smaller companies, 500 or less employees.

ive been flown to a 2 day interview before, i arrived 18 other candidates arrived, we had to share a hotel room with the other one, we had to take a math test after meeting the hiring managers from the company and then had to give team and personal presentations. they had 3 job openings and 18 candidates, it was odd. i did well, however, after learning more about the company i opted out of it, but it was an experience.
a 200-300 employee firm not being able to afford a $200 plane ticket and a $60 hotel room for 2 or 3 people? It's not true that they can't afford it, it's just they aren't serious about your candicacy. That is if they are interviewing(in person) a reasonable amount of candidates in the final stage(Not 18 people which is completely ridiculous). Maybe for a 10-15 person company I can understand.
Companies of around 200-300 people are ussually grossing around 40-50 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 10:51 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,656,793 times
I would never do it (again). Fool me once...

Recently, I flew out for a job interview at a company where an old co-worker/manager had become manager of a department. She recruited me for a position that would report directly to her. Everything seemed to work out perfectly. I even received a verbal offer a few days later. However, I'm still waiting now for a formal written offer three weeks after the verbal offer was given.

It's just not worth your time or money to interview at a company that's not willing to cover any of your expense.

It means they're not serious about you. Why they would waste your time and money is beyond me, but I guess I'm slowly learning that most companies really have little to no consideration for anybody.

And FWIW, this company has somewhere around 3,000 employees. Not large, by any means, but also not small.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:57 AM

10,077 posts, read 14,022,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
I would never do it (again). Fool me once...

Recently, I flew out for a job interview at a company where an old co-worker/manager had become manager of a department. She recruited me for a position that would report directly to her. Everything seemed to work out perfectly. I even received a verbal offer a few days later. However, I'm still waiting now for a formal written offer three weeks after the verbal offer was given.

It's just not worth your time or money to interview at a company that's not willing to cover any of your expense.

It means they're not serious about you. Why they would waste your time and money is beyond me, but I guess I'm slowly learning that most companies really have little to no consideration for anybody.

And FWIW, this company has somewhere around 3,000 employees. Not large, by any means, but also not small.
That's bad. You knew these people and they still did that. Hopefully, it's just holiday delay.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:00 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,656,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
That's bad. You knew these people and they still did that. Hopefully, it's just holiday delay.
Thanks! I received an email back from them this just a little bit ago indicating that it was pending final approval from the CFO. So there's still hope for me.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:24 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,868,586 times
Is this a company that is big enough and successful enough that they can reasonably afford to pay for recruiting trips? Or is it a small startup in a garage. If the former, and they won't pay, you have to wonder why they are so cheap and you probably don't want to be there anyway.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:16 PM

8,947 posts, read 8,406,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
In a "perfect" world, I'd want them to pay for my travel expenses upfront. If one were of top executive or otherwise professional "rock star" status, then it would probably be assumed by all parties.
Different companies have different rules, and this also varies by industry. I have rarely had companies pay in advance, but have never hD an issue with reimbursement. Reimbursement is the norm in my industry.

Quote:
If I were Joe/Jane Schmo seeking a mid-level (or lower) opportunity, I'd want to be promised - in writing - that I would be reimbursed for my airfare and (if applicable) lodging if the company decided not make me an offer within 48 hours of the interview.
If you did this to me, I would immediately cancel your interview. Holding a potential employer hostage before the job interview is a predictor that you will be a problem employee.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:38 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,947,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That depends on whether you itemize or take the standard deduction.
You also get to include your relocation expenses for a job too. So it should be more than the standard deduction if you get the job.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:49 AM

9,662 posts, read 4,556,288 times
If you're filing married the standard deduction is doubled. In any event, I just hate seeing people say "write it off taxes" as if it's costing you nothing when really you're spending not saving. People often confuse tax deduction from tax credit. It comes off your taxable income not your tax due. If you must spend it anyway and fall into the mindset of spending carelessly then it's good if you can deduct it.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:56 AM

8,947 posts, read 8,406,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
If you're filing married the standard deduction is doubled. In any event, I just hate seeing people say "write it off taxes" as if it's costing you nothing when really you're spending not saving. People often confuse tax deduction from tax credit. It comes off your taxable income not your tax due. If you must spend it anyway and fall into the mindset of spending carelessly then it's good if you can deduct it.

True. The best way to think about a tax deduction is as a discount. The interview trip might cost you $600, including flight, parking, taxi, hotel and meals. Next year when you file your taxes, you don't get assessed the tax on this amount. If you are in the 15% tax bracket, you only save $90. The trip effectively cost you $510.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:21 AM

8,799 posts, read 13,291,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
Is this a company that is big enough and successful enough that they can reasonably afford to pay for recruiting trips? Or is it a small startup in a garage. If the former, and they won't pay, you have to wonder why they are so cheap and you probably don't want to be there anyway.
Agreed if they are too cheap to pay for interview travel imagine what your salary offer will be!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or