U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 08:23 AM
mcq

336 posts, read 545,781 times

Advertisements

Personally, I don't think I could justify paying for the trip without some sort of idea that I have a major leg up in getting the job. Just don't have that kind of money to gamble. Do you? Doesn't mean I want the job any less, but I have to be responsible and frugal with my money when it is a bit tight. Everybody's situation is different. Still, it's nice to hear that it did work out for a few, even if they are probably the exceptions rather than the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 08:38 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,610,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcq View Post
Personally, I don't think I could justify paying for the trip without some sort of idea that I have a major leg up in getting the job. Just don't have that kind of money to gamble. Do you? Doesn't mean I want the job any less, but I have to be responsible and frugal with my money when it is a bit tight. Everybody's situation is different. Still, it's nice to hear that it did work out for a few, even if they are probably the exceptions rather than the rule.
I think you basically summed it up well. We all know that we have to invest a little bit in ourselves to pursue work or a career -- that should be understood by anyone who has a bit of ambition. That's why you buy a nice suit or two to wear to an interview. But a suit case be used again and again for different interviews; paying for a flight to get to a job that may not actually materialize is something different. As you said, it's akin to gambling. I think it makes a prospective employer look bad when they're making an applicant gamble money to get a job.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:50 AM

4,128 posts, read 4,144,593 times
Maybe it's me but why not use Skype? It's that what it is there for? I can understand traveling in region but unless they compensate for the travel that's a bit of a risk.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:12 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,536,635 times
I think it really varies a lot depending on field. In my field, I've twice traveled out of state for an interview at my own expense. Being reimbursed or "recruited" to the point where applicants have expenses paid to travel to an interview happens in some fields, but is unheard of in others--the latter is usually the case when there are plenty of applicants and the work isn't all that specialized... i.e. it makes sense for a software developer with unusual, sought-after skills, makes no sense for a clerical worker, teacher, or someone else where you could pass on that person and easily have 5 (or more) other applicants who are just as good.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:17 PM

158 posts, read 263,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Having been burned by something like this, I'd proceed with extreme caution. I once made a 15-hour round trip drive, put myself up in a hotel, and prepared a formal presentation for a job interview. But it tuned out they already had chosen their person and just wanted to pick my brain, asking me a zillion questions about the job I had at that time.

Having had that experience, I would ask much more pointed questions this time around. Some examples: what would the start date of this job be, how many other candidates are being considered, and WHY are they unwilling or unable to pay the expenses of someone they're really interested in? If they hem and haw and you don't get legit and respectful answers to those valid questions, they're likely on a fishing expedition.
^^^^
Couldn't agree with this more... I've wasted my time & money more than once... If someone is serious about you they will pay your ticket, reimburse gas, lodging etc....

Old 12-13-2013, 12:24 PM

4,004 posts, read 4,582,250 times
Generally only for very specific skills or high level jobs will they pay to fly you out let alone for moving you if you did get the job. Many companies don't want to interview out of staters because have a lot more hurdles in the way of getting and starting the job. That said if they are interested in interviewing you and are wanting you to come out I would guess they are interested and you have a good chance at the job,its up to you if its worth the $300 to maybe get the job as there are no gurantees.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:35 PM

58 posts, read 107,041 times
Thank you all for your replies, they were very helpful! The company that I was referring to is a mid sized general contractor in Denver, 50-70 million a year in work. I imagine they could afford to fly me out there. I am in Boise, ID. I will reply to the manager asking if they will cover any sort of expenses.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:49 PM

10,077 posts, read 14,031,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye-duh-hoe View Post
Thank you all for your replies, they were very helpful! The company that I was referring to is a mid sized general contractor in Denver, 50-70 million a year in work. I imagine they could afford to fly me out there. I am in Boise, ID. I will reply to the manager asking if they will cover any sort of expenses.
They definitely have the money.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:52 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,610,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye-duh-hoe View Post
Yeah, I guess my final thought on this is that while I'm not a really pushy person and it goes against my nature to ask for compensation in a situation like this, having been through this experience once and not liking the result, I'd at least ask for half of expenses. My guess is few people would get 100 percent comped unless they are to their field what Nick Saban is to college football coaching - and most of us just aren't. But half is fair. You're showing them you're serious; they're showing you their serious. No hard feelings if the interview doesn't go well for whatever reason.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:02 PM

8,998 posts, read 8,421,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Yeah, I guess my final thought on this is that while I'm not a really pushy person and it goes against my nature to ask for compensation in a situation like this, having been through this experience once and not liking the result, I'd at least ask for half of expenses. My guess is few people would get 100 percent comped unless they are to their field what Nick Saban is to college football coaching - and most of us just aren't. But half is fair. You're showing them you're serious; they're showing you their serious. No hard feelings if the interview doesn't go well for whatever reason.
Countering that, I have never heard of paying 1/2. Travel is a recruiting expense, if we feel we need to recruit nationally we will pay the necessary costs.

I would always hold out for a comprehensive travel package including airfare, hotel, and taxi/airport shuttle. Meals/per diem are the only portion I would consider picking up on my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or