U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 01:26 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,188,435 times

Advertisements

I was living in MI back in the 90s and applied for a staff position at NYU. They didn't have any budget to fly me in so I had a phone interview with 3 people. I did well and got the offer, worked there for 7 years.

These days, we have Skype, Google Hangouts, Lync, etc. If they refuse it fly you in, I would ask for a virtual interview for sure. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 05:58 PM

7,721 posts, read 9,015,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
At least ask for reimbursement. If they're not going to give you anything for your time, then it's not worth it. You can very well fly all the way out there, and waste your money. If they aren't willing to pay for the flight or reimburse me, then I'd pass. Seriously. you'll be out of money, and you would have wasted a lot of time.
Not once have I interviewed anywhere where the employer has offered to reimburse or would it have been appropriate to ask. To the OP, if you can afford the ticket and it won't break the bank, bit the bullet and do it. Sometimes you just have to take risks.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:23 PM

58 posts, read 106,792 times
Thank you for the advice everyone. I sent the VP an email asking if they would be paying for the flight. He replied saying a couple of other members of the company would be calling and interviewing me. If they go well, they would pay for the flight. As of today, I have had 2/3 interviews with one more tomorrow!

Old 02-23-2015, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 754 times
I just flew out to Lehi, Utah for an interview with a company called Pure Storage. They cancelled the interview a week prior through email from a donotreply@ email address which went to my junk mail box. The day of the interview I logged into my email to verify the address and person I was to meet with. I went to clean my junk mail out and there it was. I wasted time and money and almost went on site without knowing it was even cancelled. They never gave me the courtesy of a phone call or a direct email. And no one has yet responded to my email to them. I agreed to this because I wanted to see the city before uprooting my family just in case we didn't like it. They knew I was paying for my own trip out there. I will never do this again and would never recommend anyone take this same approach.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:53 PM

405 posts, read 413,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soontekoh34 View Post
I just flew out to Lehi, Utah for an interview with a company called Pure Storage. They cancelled the interview a week prior through email from a donotreply@ email address which went to my junk mail box. The day of the interview I logged into my email to verify the address and person I was to meet with. I went to clean my junk mail out and there it was. I wasted time and money and almost went on site without knowing it was even cancelled. They never gave me the courtesy of a phone call or a direct email. And no one has yet responded to my email to them. I agreed to this because I wanted to see the city before uprooting my family just in case we didn't like it. They knew I was paying for my own trip out there. I will never do this again and would never recommend anyone take this same approach.
That's awful, they definitely should have called to confirm.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:42 AM

469 posts, read 1,671,015 times
I paid for my own flight (I did get an amazing deal) to do an interview. It was for a job in a state we were thinking about moving to. The interview went extremely well. I didn't hear anything for about a month and a half when I got the call: I did get the job, however, due to timing (they wanted me to start "yesterday") I had to turn it down--I have two young kids and we had other obligations to take care of. Would I do it again? Probably not (unless the company was paying for my flight). But it was nice to get a glimpse of the area we eventually moved to.

ETA: to soontekoh34, that is just awful. Totally unprofessional on the company's part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or