U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 02:56 PM

58 posts, read 106,792 times

Advertisements

In the past couple of months I have had several phone interviews with companies out of state. One company seems to be very interested in me and asked me when I would be in town to go talk to the owners and to show me around their office. They will not be paying for me to go out and interview with them. The flight would cost me $300. I will be staying with family, so no other costs. Has anyone ever landed a job where they paid for the flight, or would this be a waste of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 03:17 PM

4,370 posts, read 5,139,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye-duh-hoe View Post
In the past couple of months I have had several phone interviews with companies out of state. One company seems to be very interested in me and asked me when I would be in town to go talk to the owners and to show me around their office. They will not be paying for me to go out and interview with them. The flight would cost me $300. I will be staying with family, so no other costs. Has anyone ever landed a job where they paid for the flight, or would this be a waste of time?
At least ask for reimbursement. If they're not going to give you anything for your time, then it's not worth it. You can very well fly all the way out there, and waste your money. If they aren't willing to pay for the flight or reimburse me, then I'd pass. Seriously. you'll be out of money, and you would have wasted a lot of time.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:35 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,694,472 times
It depends. If you seriously want to move to that area, this shows your commitment to moving.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:41 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,983,915 times
I have. Since my flight was a last minute arrangement it cost closer to $500. But they scheduled all of my interviews for one day and actually offered me the job the same day. I don't think they would have asked me to come down if they weren't pretty serious about hiring me. It was more of a 'we just have to check her out in person to make sure' thing. If they had concerns I think we would have done more phone or skype interviews between the visit and the initial phone call.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:50 PM

15,517 posts, read 13,509,459 times
Yes, I have went to more than a few interviews that I had to pay for my out of state travel and all expenses.

The one job that was out of state, but a telephone interview, was the one I got out of all of that.

Have to admit, it is frustrating to travel far, spend all of that money, and have an interview that lasts like 30 minutes, then not get the job.

I know people who have paid to travel out of the country for interviews.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:56 PM

10,075 posts, read 14,007,151 times
I would only do if they are covering all/some of the expenses. If they won't pay for anything to me that says you are wasting your time and they aren't serious about you.

A couple of months back I was in a similar situation and I waited to see if the company would pay some part and they did pay for flight, and then I asked about reimbursement and I got the rest a month later.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:02 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,633,770 times
maybe that particular employer has been burned before by flying people in and housing them and then the people just not taking the offers.

conversely, if a company is willing to fly you in and put you in a room then you basically have them in your pocket and can negotiate much more, as it is a sign they are serious about hiring you.

there could be multiple reasons for doing this, it is up to you to decide if the opportunity is worth pursuing (and ultimately cash out of your pocket for a flight).

Old 12-10-2013, 09:52 PM

389 posts, read 567,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye-duh-hoe View Post
For me, I'd have to REALLY want the job and know that they pretty much already know that they REALLY want me, or else it's not worth risking the money.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:06 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,840,736 times
I didn't fly, but I drove an 8-10 hour drive for an interview. I got the job.

I'd only go out there for a job that I know I have a chance to get or is a great opportunity.

I didn't ask for reimbursement, but I felt the money I spent was worth it anyways.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:02 PM

12,566 posts, read 15,036,884 times
In all of my out of area interviews, the recruiting company has always paid all of the travel expenses (air, hotel, rental car, meals, etc). If they did not, I would not go. Of course, my situation is likely different than yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or