U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 04:42 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,618,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Long hair and interviews?
While you do look neat and proper your long hair wouldnt affect my choice at hiring you for a job if you were qualified however theres a lot of judgmental people out there and the possibility of you being judged as a long haired liberal hippy type who probably does drugs is a possibility i'd not gamble with if i were in the job market,IMO get a haircut you can always grow the hair back after you get the job..
Weren't HR people supposed to be IMPARTIAL? and keep their personal judgements, and opinions to themselves? I think HR these days are taking advantage of people who have little ways to PROVE they were being discriminated against! I hope there will be a stop put to this mass discriminations HR's are doing these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 05:17 AM

5,910 posts, read 6,707,131 times
Sadly, yes.

Long hair, tats, piercings are red flags in the hiring process.

Just being honest, those things set you apart from the "mainstream". They might be nothing, or they might mean you are a step or two outside of 'normal' and if I am interviewing two candidates who are equally qualified, right or wrong, I am going to go with the person who is more 'normally' groomed.

So, do what you have to do to get the job. Then little by little, let the hair grow back out. Your work speaks for itself, and what you look like doesn't really matter--except during the interview process.

We all judge a book by its cover, however wrong that assessment is.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:24 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,463,311 times
I would look at cutting the hair as the last option. How many practice interviews have you done outside of companies?

When I volunteered to help people with job hunting, we would do speed interviews. Gather interviewers and interviewees in a circle. Provide a scorecard and comments after each 12- minute interview.

Many participants found it useful. By the end of the session, every participant was able to identify changes that helped.

If you do 20 practice interviews every week, you will see a huge difference.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:49 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,543,879 times
Why should he have to cut his hair? I don't know if any of you realize that growing hair that length can take years. So he's going to swap that hair for a Patrick Bateman type look? How does it make him a potentially bad employee and why should it raise red flags?

Old 12-11-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy1190 View Post
Why should he have to cut his hair? I don't know if any of you realize that growing hair that length can take years.
Not to mention cutting it, and still NOT getting jobs!

Old 12-11-2013, 05:56 AM

29 posts, read 121,670 times
I agree with jambo101. This is not an issue of what you like; it's about what makes you likeable. Especially since you are stuck in an employer's market, you must make yourself desirable on their terms. You want them to take you seriously rather than make them wonder whether you'll take the job seriously. Cut the hair, shave the beard, lose the scarf, cover any tattoos or piercings, and wear a white or blue shirt and a conservative tie with a suit or sport coat and slacks. Speak proper English--good grammar, no slang, sir/ma'am, etc. (If you get there and discover all the workers have long hair, explain that you normally do too.) Once you're hired you can gradually go more casual IF the company climate is accepting. And BTW, there is no law that says employers must not discriminate against long hair!

Old 12-11-2013, 06:06 AM

17,628 posts, read 11,158,662 times
Ted Bear is right, ANYTHING that an interviewer sees as "out of the norm" puts the interviewee at a disadvantage. Long hair, tats, piercings (especially piercings !), type of clothing, etc.

While you don't look bad with the long hair it does put you into the "not normal" category job wise, and is going to make the interviewer disregard all your good attributes and focus on the hair. This is just the reality of how hiring is done, it might no be right to do it that way, but it is just the way it is.

If you want a job bad enough, cut the hair and slowly let it grow back once you have the job, if you find they will be ok with that.

Don

Old 12-11-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutzy View Post
I agree with jambo101. This is not an issue of what you like; it's about what makes you likeable. Especially since you are stuck in an employer's market, you must make yourself desirable on their terms. You want them to take you seriously rather than make them wonder whether you'll take the job seriously. Cut the hair, shave the beard, lose the scarf, cover any tattoos or piercings, and wear a white or blue shirt and a conservative tie with a suit or sport coat and slacks. Speak proper English--good grammar, no slang, sir/ma'am, etc. (If you get there and discover all the workers have long hair, explain that you normally do too.) Once you're hired you can gradually go more casual IF the company climate is accepting. And BTW, there is no law that says employers must not discriminate against long hair!
WOW....Does your name start with an "H" by any chance?

He doesn't look like the type of person talking with slang! I think "employers" are too suck up/nose up in the air and have lost complete sight of why they're hiring in the first place! Are all employers Military? because aside from the Military, I see zero reason for someone to be DEPERSONALIZED like that!

& There should be a LAW for that! What makes you so entitled to discriminate someone that's qualified for a job? Your concern should be their qualifications for the job, and not the length of their hair!

Old 12-11-2013, 06:22 AM

17,628 posts, read 11,158,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
WOW....Does your name start with an "H" by any chance?

He doesn't look like the type of person talking with slang! I think "employers" are too suck up/nose up in the air and have lost complete sight of why they're hiring in the first place! Are all employers Military? because aside from the Military, I see zero reason for someone to be DEPERSONALIZED like that!
Nope, you are missing the point. Employers have a business to run and they want to portray a certain image and professionalism to their customers. They have certain standards they have set (which they are totally within their rights to do) and they hire people who they feel meet those standards.

We had a girl at work who interviewed and got the job and after being there for a few weeks she suddenly showed up with a lip ring. Customers were commenting on it (things like "What is up with the chick with the lip ring ?) so she was told to lose it or lose the job. She now looks like a normal human being and kept her job.

Employees have to fit into whatever image a company chooses to have for itself, and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Don

Old 12-11-2013, 06:44 AM

1,844 posts, read 1,942,076 times
Well, it depends upon the company. if you go for an interview where is casual dressing and people are more relaxed or an academic environment, yes, long hair will be ok.
If you go for an interview where the dress code is suits and ties, your hair will possible not help you. They might see you to bohemian or smth.
My advice would be to either get a cut until you get the job or interview with less formal companies. Software companies won't care. Financial would.

I once worked in a company that had a very strict dress code. Men weren't allow to leave their desks withou putting the jacket on. Women weren't allow pants. This guy came to the interview got the job and then he grew long hair he wore in a ponytail.

Inside the building, when he put his jacket on he hid the ponytail inside the jacket. One day the CEO was in the elevator with him and he grabbed his ponytail saying "you think I didn't know? I know everything that happens here." The guy didnt loose his job bc he was a very good programmer.

I'm just saying. Do whatever you need to do to get the job. Then after they see your work nobody will kick you out for long hair.

And yes, you look hot. I once met a male model who looked hot but he explained to me that he was "out of shape" and he needed to work out a lot to be hired again. So if you want to pursue modelling you'll be doing lot of physical exercises. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search