U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 06:51 AM

1,844 posts, read 1,945,325 times

Advertisements

I am not so sure if you can use sugar to make your hair stick to the scalp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 06:53 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,624,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Nope, you are missing the point. Employers have a business to run and they want to portray a certain image and professionalism to their customers. They have certain standards they have set (which they are totally within their rights to do) and they hire people who they feel meet those standards.

We had a girl at work who interviewed and got the job and after being there for a few weeks she suddenly showed up with a lip ring. Customers were commenting on it (things like "What is up with the chick with the lip ring ?) so she was told to lose it or lose the job. She now looks like a normal human being and kept her job.

Employees have to fit into whatever image a company chooses to have for itself, and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Don
A copy writer doesn't deal with customers.

Don't get me wrong here, I am NOT by any means promoting, or saying that employees should look like crap, but based on this guy's photo, and his job, I think there's zero reason for him to have to cut his hair.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:59 AM

13 posts, read 91,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Nope, you are missing the point. Employers have a business to run and they want to portray a certain image and professionalism to their customers. They have certain standards they have set (which they are totally within their rights to do) and they hire people who they feel meet those standards.

We had a girl at work who interviewed and got the job and after being there for a few weeks she suddenly showed up with a lip ring. Customers were commenting on it (things like "What is up with the chick with the lip ring ?) so she was told to lose it or lose the job. She now looks like a normal human being and kept her job.

Employees have to fit into whatever image a company chooses to have for itself, and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Don
This answers my question fairly well. As much research as I've done, hearing this same answer from a few different people has convinced me that, perhaps, I should take on a more conservative look. For now, at least. Those posters who mentioned that it's wrong for me to be judged by my nonstandard appearance rather than by my creds are absolutely right, but, at the same time, I do realize the reality of the matter is that I likely will be. The idea of changing my look does make me cringe a bit, as it did take me years to grow my hair; I went from a buzz cut at the end of my military service to what you see in the provided picture, which took about three years. I think what I may do is simply apply for the rest of the copy editor jobs on my list, (they generally reside in more creative atmospheres in which standards of appearance are less conservative) and then, if I don't find myself in a job at the end of the next few weeks, I'll go get a significant trim. The American Psycho look can't be all that bad.

I have to be honest, though--this really makes me motivated to finish some of my fiction projects and try to get published. Ah, to be the 1% of writers who actually manages to do that and live off the proceeds.

Anyway, thanks, everyone. You guys helped me out by supplementing what I had already researched. I appreciate all the feedback.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:15 AM

53 posts, read 73,860 times
Ask the interviewers if your hair was a factor in their decisions. They should answer truthfully because admission to hair length discrimination is not a civil rights violation -- it's just stupid. I thought that I had killed the narrow concept of a "professional look" back in the '80s, but I must still have some work to accomplish on this front -- and not much time left since I'm already 58. Some people are idiots -- including quite a few in my generation. Even worse, they're lazy about making informed judgments.

Old 12-11-2013, 10:18 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,418,107 times
As long as you look "neat", you should be ok.
If you are going to an interview with your hair looking like it does in the photo, the only thing I'd suggest is to comb it, reduce the frizz, or perhaps put it in a pony tail.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:52 AM

34,394 posts, read 41,499,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
A copy writer doesn't deal with customers.

Don't get me wrong here, I am NOT by any means promoting, or saying that employees should look like crap, but based on this guy's photo, and his job, I think there's zero reason for him to have to cut his hair.
In a perfect world you are absolutely right but if i were looking for a job i wouldnt risk the possibility of running into interviewers who have agendas when it comes to guys with long hair.the hair can always be grown back once the job has been secured.
While his current look is no problem for you and me its not us thats going to be doing the hiring..
Don you look great but when looking for a job you arent dressing for you you're dressing for that HR interviewer.
EG; Hawkeye could be your interviewer. post 7 and 10
The legacy of the Hippie movement

Last edited by jambo101; 12-11-2013 at 12:05 PM..

Old 12-11-2013, 12:00 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,460,459 times
I think your hair looks great. I wouldn't cut it, but can you wear your hair in a pony tail for job interviews?

Old 12-11-2013, 12:07 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,547,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
I think your hair looks great. I wouldn't cut it, but can you wear your hair in a pony tail for job interviews?
^^
This is excellent advice.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:13 PM

389 posts, read 568,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond_Dantes View Post
I've been working as a technical writer for the past few years after graduating with a degree in English literature, but have recently been laid off when the company I worked for began to have financial troubles. Now, for the entire duration of my college and writing careers, I've had shoulder-length hair. I've been applying for jobs for nearly two months now with very little success; I always get to the interview, but I haven't been getting the jobs. I am a very qualified technical or copy writer with numerous completed projects in my portfolio, as well as a published academic journal article, and so I'm beginning to become a bit puzzled. What I want to know is if my longer hair is possibly turning employers off, despite the fact that I always dress well for the specific job I'm going after. I've been mostly applying to tech writer positions at medium and large sized companies. I would be grateful for any input, but responses from hiring authorities would also be greatly appreciated.

Here's a recent picture of me. My hair is usually a bit neater, but this is fairly representative of how I normally look.
You're gorgeous, and I love your style. How about slicking your hair back into a ponytail for interviews? A lot of employers still hold the outdated opinion that men with long hair are probably rebellious and anti-authority and are more likely to cause an employer problems.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:21 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,618,720 times
I am a middle aged woman and frankly, I think your hair is wonderful. As long as it is clean and not looking unkempt - but then I'm not HR or the person who would hire you. I have seen attorneys in business suits with well groomed hair tied back in a pony tail (even on TV occasionally) and frankly I think it is extremely attractive, but that's just me. My mental picture of a writer or the academic type generally includes longer hair, rather laid back and unconventional gentlemen - brain power does not equal hair style IMHO!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search