U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 11:36 AM

4,539 posts, read 4,838,757 times

Advertisements

Unemployed AND long hair is an issue.

We hired a guy with a long hair two earrings and always dressed in black and turtlenecks. Guy had a job, was a rock star and we had to woo him from his current firm.

Trouble is unemployed is hat in hand. Cut the hair Fabio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 11:38 AM

2,898 posts, read 5,207,737 times
If in the field for a long time, in which one's reputation precedes one, a non-mainstream appearance may not matter as much or at all. Until then, why risk losing a job offer? Many of us have a vastly different look in our downtime than we do at the office.

The best advice I've seen on this very subject, was a recent article I came across in which a younger girl was asking if she could wear her cute frilly skirt, sheer blouse & fun chunky shoes to an interview. They were sedate colors, so she didn't see the problem with the style. She was told that she might indeed look cute in her shorter than normal skirt, chunky wedge shoes & armful of jangly bangles, but if she wanted to leave & have the interviewer remember her accomplishments rather than her nail polish, outfit or elaborate hairstyle, then best to dress in a plainer, nondescript way & view the interview as a serious entree into paying one's rent. Basically, the adviser said if wearing something that will be remembered after the interview (a color, style or accessory), don't wear it. The resume & personality should be the focal points.

I prefer leather skirts (even in gray & tan they're still not so office friendly), red/pink lips & 4" stilettos, but I leave that for out of work & wear my long hair in a librarian bun & stylish but tasteful gray/beige suits with white button downs to interviews. Outside of work, I do what I want & I've passed by co-workers, who didn't recognize me. I need to pay my rent more than I need to assert daytime self expression, so conforming somewhat, appearance-wise, isn't so painful.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck with your interviews, ED!

Old 12-12-2013, 12:14 PM

4,506 posts, read 5,491,360 times
I wouldn't hire you...unless maybe you put on some men's clothing and cut your hair to look professional.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:24 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,024,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I wouldn't hire you...unless maybe you put on some men's clothing and cut your hair to look professional.

I doubt he'd want to work for a machismo guy like you anyway.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:27 PM

4,506 posts, read 5,491,360 times
Quote:
I doubt he'd want to work for a machismo guy like you anyway.
Probably not...the work can sometimes get your hands dirty...sometimes you might even sweat a bit!

Old 12-12-2013, 02:17 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,331,277 times
I haven't read through all the pages of this thread, but you could try tying it back for the interviews and see if you get hired.

Quote:
I contacted one of the companies I applied to, and they told me that my appearance was indeed one of the deciding factors in their decision not to hire me. The fellow was very candid with me and simply told me that, while I had a great interview, I simply looked like an unsafe hire--I was a wild card, he said.
As soon as I dyed my bleach blonde hair (used to cocktail and model) back to my natural brunette color, the job offers came flying in. Yeah, it sucks personal expression has to interfere in the corporate world, but it does. Currently I'm an employed conformist. *sigh*

Last edited by Ragazza2011; 12-12-2013 at 02:26 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 02:42 PM

25 posts, read 65,362 times
Here's a thought:

Even if you shave your head, you may still be too good looking for the companies you're interviewing with.

HR managers and potential bosses are only human. Companies (especially small ones) tend to unconciously gravitate toward hirees who fall within specific points on the company's unofficial, in-house "attractiveness scale."

Firms filled with attractive bosses and workers are strongly biased in favor of attractive job seekers (think Conde Nast or any digital advertising agency). Firms filled with "ordinary joes" tend to hire other ordinary joes (think Amalgamated Aluminum Inc.)

I've had long hair for many years. Since I've always lived in major cities -- and always worked in "creative" industries -- the way I look has never been a problem.

But then, I have my own biases. If given a choice between hiring you or an equally-qualified ex-frat boy jock, I'd hire you. That's because -- simply by the way you visually present yourself -- you don't embody the bland, Middle American suburban mindset (which produces so much bland, uninspired work).

To me, that's a valuable asset.

Other than that? My advice: Look for work in New York, Chicago, LA, or other large city. And stick to more creative companies where you'll likely be happier -- and where no one will care about the length of your hair.

Last edited by DillyDilly; 12-12-2013 at 03:12 PM..

Old 12-12-2013, 05:48 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,536,635 times
IMHO, the combination of the long hair with it being worn down, with the facial hair, with the trendy clothes makes you look like something of a wild card. Is it right that they discriminate? No, but that's the way the world works.

That said, I think the first thing I would try is to tone down the factors where it's simple to do so. Tie your hair back in a ponytail. Wear a traditional, professional suit. Come in clean-shaven. It's much faster to grow back facial hair and shake out the ponytail than to cut your hair off. I have to wonder if the hair might not be a huge deal if not for the whole "image" together screaming "Mr. Casual."

Old 12-12-2013, 06:55 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,211,574 times
I would definitely pull it back, HOWEVER, you cut that side bang. So it's gonna look goofy.

If you don't cut it, for God's sakes don't play with it during the interview. THAT would be enough for me to not call you back. And not just you but anybody who's distracting and distractED like that.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:01 PM

10,604 posts, read 14,211,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillyDilly View Post
But then, I have my own biases. If given a choice between hiring you or an equally-qualified ex-frat boy jock, I'd hire you. That's because -- simply by the way you visually present yourself -- you don't embody the bland, Middle American suburban mindset (which produces so much bland, uninspired work).

To me, that's a valuable asset.
It's a TECH WRITER job, not advertising. There's a major difference and I would NOT hire a creative type for a tech writer unless they were the PROVEN BEST candidate and even then I'd be side eyeing until they proved themselves to me. Been there, done that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search