U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 10:53 PM

13 posts, read 91,500 times

Advertisements

Good news! I finally received a job offer for an editorial position from a place I applied to and interviewed at a month ago. I actually remember the interview because I ended up talking about J.R.R. Tolkien with the interviewer. Appearance is not an issue, (they liked my hair) as long as I look presentable, and the place is a very good fit for my personality; the culture is a driven and ambitious one, but, at the same time, one that fosters creativity and encourages a bit of "free time" in which to play around with written ideas. So I'm quite happy to be taking another step toward my main goals. And I'm happy that I was able to do that without unnecessarily changing something that I like about myself. I would have done it, of course, as I think anyone should do when things grow desperate...but I feel quite blessed to be able to pursue a job I enjoy while continuing to enjoy myself to the fullest.

Now I can finally be at ease and turn my mind back to some pleasurable writing. Thanks for the thought-help, guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Probably not...the work can sometimes get your hands dirty...sometimes you might even sweat a bit!
I paid my dues in sweat and dirt aplenty repairing F-16s in Iraq, keeping them flying so they could provide needed air support to other troops. So I'm no stranger to labor. But I'm not averse to my comforts, either, or my style. To each his own.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:09 PM

12,255 posts, read 18,019,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Probably not...the work can sometimes get your hands dirty...sometimes you might even sweat a bit!
You might want to eat those words....

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 12-13-2013 at 11:21 PM..

Old 12-13-2013, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond_Dantes View Post
I paid my dues in sweat and dirt aplenty repairing F-16s in Iraq, keeping them flying so they could provide needed air support to other troops. So I'm no stranger to labor. But I'm not averse to my comforts, either, or my style. To each his own.
Good for you! Wear your hair with pride

Old 12-13-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
You look like a Model.

Anyways, do you wear your hair out or do you put it in a pony tail or something for the interview?
I usually wear it down and somewhat straightened. But I have the hair type that will allow for that. It looks good and neat and healthy, and when I pair that with a good, fitted suit, it creates a positive image rather than making me look like I simply neglect to trim my hair. The trick is to make it look deliberate. If it looks at all like you don't take the utmost care of yourself, then interviewers won't think well of you. I try to use my appearance to show that I pay attention to details--not only details, but to aesthetics. So wearing it down is usually a calculated risk on my part, a risk that was just today validated, fortunately.

If I had a hair type, though, that was simply unmanageable, thinning, or otherwise unkempt looking, I'd put it in a ponytail.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I usually wear it down and somewhat straightened. But I have the hair type that will allow for that. It looks good and neat and healthy, and when I pair that with a good, fitted suit, it creates a positive image rather than making me look like I simply neglect to trim my hair. The trick is to make it look deliberate. If it looks at all like you don't take the utmost care of yourself, then interviewers won't think well of you. I try to use my appearance to show that I pay attention to details--not only details, but to aesthetics. So wearing it down is usually a calculated risk on my part, a risk that was just today validated, fortunately.

If I had a hair type, though, that was simply unmanageable, thinning, or otherwise unkempt looking, I'd put it in a ponytail.
You defiantly know what you are talking about.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:01 PM

25 posts, read 65,456 times
Quote:
Appearance is not an issue, (they liked my hair) as long as I look presentable, and the place is a very good fit for my personality; the culture is a driven and ambitious one, but, at the same time, one that fosters creativity and encourages a bit of "free time" in which to play around with written ideas.
Congratulations on the new job. Good for you.

It's a tough job market. But it's always better work for an employer who appreciates the creative skills his/her new hires bring to the table.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,892 times
I know I am in the minority, but all things being equal, I would hire a potential employee with well kept long hair looong before hiring an employee with short hair.

The reason is because, when you ignore social stigmata (social stigmata is usually counter-productive anyway), long hair implies 2 major things about the individual applying...

1. He's not going out of his way to impress me. He's presenting himself "as himself" to me. All other things being equal, this usually implies a lot better chance he's not lying on his resume or doing "interview etiquette" to try an manipulate me. In other words, he's going to be someone I can trust, and someone who will be straight forward with me, someone who isn't going kiss butt every step of the way instead of actually doing the job properly.

2. It's more work to maintain long hair looking nice than it is short hair. If he has long hair and is maintaining it (and it will show if he regularly maintains it or not) then that shows he's able to keep up a responsible habit. Someone with short hair could have easily just gotten cut five minute before they came in. Well kempt long hair takes someone with a sense of responsibility to keep things working properly.

Old 11-17-2014, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,703 times
I am in Real Estate Development and Commercial Financing, and I play 4 instruments since the age of 11.

I am a male (heterosexual) with long hair and I have been denied jobs because of my hair.

It is okay to advertise that you have short hair and what you prefer in your bedroom alerting others you are gay - THAT is acceptable.

Having long hair, like Jesus!!!!! WARNING! RED FLAG! WARNING! So funny how many people at corporate jobs with short hair do drugs and get away with it because they look very prim and proper - America has lost its sense of right and wrong.

By the way my hair is shoulder length...I look like Antonio Bandaris - and still frowned upon...Guess I should interview with a lisp and advertise that I am neo gay - that would help me and others out far better than growing a Lion's Mane for stage presence. I'm 52 and look far younger than my peers who are not in shape, bald and with beer guts....however, that is what HR is looking for - those are indicators that the horse is pulling the trolley appropriately - It's a good thing I am in Private Equity and fund multi-million dollar deals all the time vs having to endure the utter dramas of such a WOODEN and DRY corporate culture. I would like to close by stating that I am neither a judge nor jury regarding gay men - I am solely using them to compare that when you see a Gay Man it reads "I like sodomy and like other men - sexually" - that's all. When you see a long hair, educated male who is wearing professional attire and speaks with an excellent vocabulary - society thinks "DRUG ADDICT" - "INVALID" - so please do not reply back and call me anti-gay. I am not the Lord to judge others - just presenting the tell tale of "Image vs Reality" theme we learned in High School English class reading over the Canterbury Tales and other classics....

Last edited by longhairedmen12345; 11-17-2014 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: spelling errors

Old 11-17-2014, 09:42 PM

15,149 posts, read 19,783,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
dude forget technical writing. With a face like that, you need to be a model. for real.

Absolutely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search