U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:19 PM

260 posts, read 262,008 times

Advertisements

Check the standards for long hair, maybe you are supposed to wear in a pony tail during the interview.

Maybe bold people don't want hire you because they are jealous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 05:52 AM

4,424 posts, read 5,457,497 times
Women dont have to cut their hair so why do men?

(sexism, double standards, gender stereotypes, etc)

Old 02-21-2015, 12:02 PM

2 posts, read 1,860 times
I have a question, what about men with (ethnic) neatly groomed long hair in a manufacturing type environment? My husband has long hair and a goatee where he currently works and is looking at moving on to another company. His current company doesn't care as long as it's always neatly tied back. Still chop it off?

Old 02-21-2015, 12:26 PM
mzd

419 posts, read 756,782 times
If he is going to work around industrial machinery, long hair could be tangled in belts and gears and that would cause grievous injuries. I used to be a manufacturing engineer.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,009 times
It is interesting just how many HR professionals responded to this question without current knowledge of EEOC law. If you hire a person who is equally qualified for a job solely based on appearance, they can sue you. I would also take note that because of the halo effect, there is a probability that the interviewer is being judgmental based on appearance due to implicit bias and therefor has unconsciously awarded the (what someone above actual called" more "normal") candidate extra "normal" points. I suggest these professionals go back to your diversity and inclusion handbooks, online courses, and brush up on HR law.

As a diversity & inclusion practitioner-- I say "Be You". Do you really want a job at a company where judgmental people (like most of these respondents) will end up as your colleagues? If someone comments on how you look during an interview (when you have put effort into your presentation) that is not legal. It is, among other things, sex-based discrimination. If the company would hire a woman with long hair they cannot require a man to have short hair and vice versa-- unless the job description actually calls for a person with short hair due to the nature of the job. EEOC: "The law forbids discrimination when it comes to any aspect of employment, including hiring, firing, pay, job assignments, promotions, layoff, training, fringe benefits, and any other term or condition of employment." [url=http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/index.cfm]Types of Discrimination[/url]

Old 01-05-2016, 11:44 AM

3,315 posts, read 1,880,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starf View Post
I know I am in the minority, but all things being equal, I would hire a potential employee with well kept long hair looong before hiring an employee with short hair.

The reason is because, when you ignore social stigmata (social stigmata is usually counter-productive anyway), long hair implies 2 major things about the individual applying...

1. He's not going out of his way to impress me. He's presenting himself "as himself" to me. All other things being equal, this usually implies a lot better chance he's not lying on his resume or doing "interview etiquette" to try an manipulate me. In other words, he's going to be someone I can trust, and someone who will be straight forward with me, someone who isn't going kiss butt every step of the way instead of actually doing the job properly.

2. It's more work to maintain long hair looking nice than it is short hair. If he has long hair and is maintaining it (and it will show if he regularly maintains it or not) then that shows he's able to keep up a responsible habit. Someone with short hair could have easily just gotten cut five minute before they came in. Well kempt long hair takes someone with a sense of responsibility to keep things working properly.
Yes you are in the minority. I really wish you weren't. I'm tired of trying to fit in. I never fit in anywhere. Granted I always interview as myself because I don't know how to be dishonest/not authentic but it still feels kind of an act because people tell me I should not disclose my disability during an interview and I have to wear something that isn't really me. I could see changing clothes if I was walking around in a bikini or something like that but I'm not doing that. I mean you can change your clothes when you get into the job but I felt kinda funny wearing something I picked out only to look good for the interview. In fact I wonder if they can tell I feel like a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJOlson-MA View Post
Do you really want a job at a company where judgmental people (like most of these respondents) will end up as your colleagues?
In an ideal world, no but I'd rather be at a job like that than be unemployed.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 954 times
To cut straight through the HR Screen out process, just do what I do. Wear a wig, mine cost $149, and wear a wig cap underneath, nylon, keeps hair from falling out.
BTW I haven't cut mine since 1999, I do Sikh religious practices, but i'm not wearing a turban. So no, i'm not cutting my hair and selling out my beliefs to fit someone else's idea of a professional image. Sadly most of this discrimination is legally protecting the company in their employee handbook.

wear the wig, yes its a pain in the rear. But on my last job, the lasted 5.5 yrs because I produced, I wore it for a yr and a half until I went permanent. They figured out before that and told me not to worry about, stop wearing the wig

also get some religious items to put on your desk if you choose to follow the religious route, mine is solid b/c I practice. I had a picture of my Teacher on my desk.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:07 AM

762 posts, read 511,677 times
Where's his picture you all are talking about?

Old 01-19-2016, 06:07 AM

43,308 posts, read 41,880,675 times
It's a 3-year-old thread. The photo was deleted.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:49 AM

8,199 posts, read 6,131,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Sadly, yes.

Long hair, tats, piercings are red flags in the hiring process.

Just being honest, those things set you apart from the "mainstream". They might be nothing, or they might mean you are a step or two outside of 'normal' and if I am interviewing two candidates who are equally qualified, right or wrong, I am going to go with the person who is more 'normally' groomed.
Agreed, though I think this probably depends on the industry. If you are applying for jobs in sectors that tend to be conservative (finance, engineering, etc.) the long hair could very well be a problem. If you are applying for tech or software jobs, its probably less of an issue.

Its unfortunate that decisions are made based on something so trivial, but sometimes there is very little to distinguish between candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search