Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 10:29 PM

13 posts, read 101,559 times

Advertisements

I've been working as a technical writer for the past few years after graduating with a degree in English literature, but have recently been laid off when the company I worked for began to have financial troubles. Now, for the entire duration of my college and writing careers, I've had shoulder-length hair. I've been applying for jobs for nearly two months now with very little success; I always get to the interview, but I haven't been getting the jobs. I am a very qualified technical or copy writer with numerous completed projects in my portfolio, as well as a published academic journal article, and so I'm beginning to become a bit puzzled. What I want to know is if my longer hair is possibly turning employers off, despite the fact that I always dress well for the specific job I'm going after. I've been mostly applying to tech writer positions at medium and large sized companies. I would be grateful for any input, but responses from hiring authorities would also be greatly appreciated.

Here's a recent picture of me. My hair is usually a bit neater, but this is fairly representative of how I normally look.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-01-2015 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: Image deleted 02-01-2015 at user's request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 10:46 PM

170 posts, read 373,123 times
Do you need long hair? Do you feel it's part of your identity or something? You're choosing a style that is normally associated with rock stars and surfers. It looks like you have a decent hairline and overall volume of hair -- perfect for styling into something that would frame your face and make you look professional.

Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 12-12-2013 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: Removed copyrighted image

Old 12-10-2013, 10:51 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond_Dantes View Post
I've been working as a technical writer for the past few years after graduating with a degree in English literature, but have recently been laid off when the company I worked for began to have financial troubles. Now, for the entire duration of my college and writing careers, I've had shoulder-length hair. I've been applying for jobs for nearly two months now with very little success; I always get to the interview, but I haven't been getting the jobs. I am a very qualified technical or copy writer with numerous completed projects in my portfolio, as well as a published academic journal article, and so I'm beginning to become a bit puzzled. What I want to know is if my longer hair is possibly turning employers off, despite the fact that I always dress well for the specific job I'm going after. I've been mostly applying to tech writer positions at medium and large sized companies. I would be grateful for any input, but responses from hiring authorities would also be greatly appreciated.

Here's a recent picture of me. My hair is usually a bit neater, but this is fairly representative of how I normally look.
dude forget technical writing. With a face like that, you need to be a model. for real.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-10-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
Do you need long hair? Do you feel it's part of your identity or something? You're choosing a style that is normally associated with rock stars and surfers. It looks like you have a decent hairline and overall volume of hair -- perfect for styling into something that would frame your face and make you look professional.
I don't feel that I need it, or that it's part of my identity, but it is certainly my preference, and has been for years. And I wouldn't mind trying another style if needed, but I mostly just want to know if anyone can definitively tell me what the corporate climate is at the moment regarding men and long hair. Thanks for the input on trying a different style, though. If it does happen that my hair is causing employers to become cautious about hiring me, then I'll need to choose something like what you posted.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
dude forget technical writing. With a face like that, you need to be a model. for real.

20yrsinBranson
Why, thank you! The closest I've come to that is being in a photo shoot for a college poster. I will forever be remembered as "the guy in the background reading the dictionary in the library".

Old 12-10-2013, 11:44 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,617,686 times
I am constantly surprised by how normal people from this forum look.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:21 AM

346 posts, read 647,006 times
I think the most important thing is to have hair that appears well groomed, regardless of its length. Someone can look grubby and unkempt with short hair.

I used to think that fields such as writing, the arts, or academia were more open to different looks; could it be that technical writing has a more "business" level of formality than creative writing or teaching?

Old 12-11-2013, 04:20 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,025 times
Yes definitely pursue modeling

Old 12-11-2013, 04:30 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond_Dantes View Post

Do you use your hair to think and write with? (I doubt it), but I truly hope that is not why HR's won't hire you, because that would be extremely discriminating. Were you naked south of the hair? If not I see no reason for you not to be hired.

Nice shot...nice looking guy...who wouldn't what to have a co worker that looks like that? now if you looked like this, I could see why someone would have an issue coming to work the next day! LOL:
Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 12-12-2013 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: Removed copyrighted image

Old 12-11-2013, 04:40 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Long hair and interviews?
While you do look neat and proper your long hair wouldnt affect my choice at hiring you for a job if you were qualified however theres a lot of judgmental people out there and the possibility of you being judged as a long haired liberal hippy type who probably does drugs is a possibility i'd not gamble with if i were in the job market,IMO get a haircut you can always grow the hair back after you get the job..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search