Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 12:41 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,679,746 times

Advertisements

The Hampton Roads area?! Your hair is not possibly setting you back, it's most definitely setting you back.

Your hair screams "I have never served in the military". In that region, not having served in the military is more offensive than showing up to Rosh Hashanah service in a Heinrich Himmler costume. People also might perceive you as a bit off, or much worse, they might think you're gay. You don't look like a church person either. Now I've just categorized you as a "military-dodging" gay atheist. Not. Getting. Hired.

Hopefully you understand that I'm not making fun of you at all, rather pointing out some hurdles that you face in that area. I had a long haired guy working for me out there--excellent employee--and I was forever going to bat for the guy, arguing with top level management. They basically just didn't like him, and because of his hair, they singled him out. He never did anything wrong, it's that as far as the President and CEO were concerned, his hair branded him incapable of doing anything right.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 12:51 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,577,289 times
I am part of the hiring process for my company.
While it would never be said directly, Tats and piercings, nose rings and long hair detract from professional appearence.

While in my company there is a strict protocall for rating based on qualifications, interview etc. there is also the part called "organizational fit" which is subjective, but is based on how that individual will fit into the company.

The aforementioned afectations detract from that and indicate the applicant may be a trouble maker, doesn't take direction, will constantly be stirring the pot about how things "should" be done, there is a real appearance factor involved here in a professional setting.

If I were hiring for a blue collar job, driving truck, construction, plumber or electrician, the length of hair or facial hair would be irrelevent except if it constitutes a safety hazzard like around moving machinery.

I am only talking about my specific company, but my advice would be get a haircut, it certainly won't hurt your chances.

Old 12-11-2013, 12:54 PM

189 posts, read 239,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
dude forget technical writing. With a face like that, you need to be a model. for real.

20yrsinBranson
I would suggest the same.
Or you can pursue both at the same time. Daytime, modeling; nighttime, writing?

Last edited by TheBookofLife; 12-11-2013 at 01:04 PM..

Old 12-11-2013, 01:25 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,835,280 times
I'm glad to see you are taking the criticism as well as you have, it shows that you are not an idiot who won't listen to well meant suggestions.

What so many people tend to overlook is the truth about the interview. The first few seconds generally put an idea in the interviewer's mind about if he/she considers you a candidate or not. Anything that you do to put a negative vibe in their head is a hard thing to overcome, no matter how qualified you are. Unfair ? Maybe, but it has always been that way and probably always will.

I have interviewed a bunch of people in my life and have been on the other side of the desk too a bunch of times. From interviewing people I learned a lot of mistakes to avoid, and things that help you get hired. Your initial appearance, the way you shake their hand and look them in the eye, and the way you generally engage them in conversation are 75% of the battle. Everyone going in for the same job will have good qualifications (mostly) but to stand apart you want to come across as someone who they can envision in that position and who will not be a problem down the road.

All the women on here seem to think you are good looking, so you will be just as good looking with shorter hair.

Don

Old 12-11-2013, 01:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
There are still companies wear the men wear ties and long hair will keep you from being hired but you probably don't want to work there anyway. When I hire it's important to get the work done, so I will select the best person regardless of such things as hair, tattoos, or piercing. As long as it's not distracting to the others. In a technical writing job you would work more with other employees than the public so even that's not an issue. When I applied here, I decided not to shave off my beard and learned after a few weeks that there are actually a good 15-20% of the men here with facial hair and no one wears a suit unless they have to appear before the board.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:57 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,037,459 times
I would get a haircut, interview and once you are employed, wear your hair as you wish. You just never know what an interviewer is thinking, so play it safe.

For the record, there is nothing wrong with longer hair but I'd still advise the above.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:58 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,769,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
Do you need long hair? Do you feel it's part of your identity or something? You're choosing a style that is normally associated with rock stars and surfers. It looks like you have a decent hairline and overall volume of hair -- perfect for styling into something that would frame your face and make you look professional.
I would NOT... EVER hire a greaseball like that creature in your photo. The look screams "Old World", "Criminal", "Pushy", "Conspiratorial", "Crude", "Dishonest", to me.

I like OP's hair. I don't like what he's wearing, though. Pushes the Gender Envelope a bit too much. Wouldn't keep ME from hiring, but I can see how it might be off-putting to others.

Anyway, unless the industry for which he writes has been taken over by a homophobic/gender-obsessed religious-ethnic group (and some industries have been), then I don't see his look as being the problem.

What one has to realize is that this is a dying nation, and part of a dying civilization. (being killed by its own altruism and generosity) In an imploding world, jobs are going to be evaporating.

I honestly don't know the solution. And as I mop-up after completing the final stages of moving things offshore, am already busy trying to find placement for highly competent employees/associates who have become redundant.

I don't imagine the OP has any fault. It is possible that his strengths are just not quite strong enough for competing in an ever-tightening job market.

Too, his being white (but apparently not from a clannish subset of Whites, which takes care of its own...) puts him at a disadvantage in a job market where employers are forced to hire minorities. Writing may be a niche, within many companies, where unqualified people will do the least damage. So, possibly, that's where the Affirmative Action hires are happening, in those companies. Unless OP manages to pass himself off as a member of a "Protected Group"... and thus someone who will help fill a quota for some minority, he may be last in line for hiring, because of his color/ethnicity.

I cannot begin to tell you how much mileage I've gotten out of being a Native American.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:53 PM

13 posts, read 101,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
The Hampton Roads area?! Your hair is not possibly setting you back, it's most definitely setting you back.

Your hair screams "I have never served in the military". In that region, not having served in the military is more offensive than showing up to Rosh Hashanah service in a Heinrich Himmler costume. People also might perceive you as a bit off, or much worse, they might think you're gay. You don't look like a church person either. Now I've just categorized you as a "military-dodging" gay atheist. Not. Getting. Hired.

Hopefully you understand that I'm not making fun of you at all, rather pointing out some hurdles that you face in that area. I had a long haired guy working for me out there--excellent employee--and I was forever going to bat for the guy, arguing with top level management. They basically just didn't like him, and because of his hair, they singled him out. He never did anything wrong, it's that as far as the President and CEO were concerned, his hair branded him incapable of doing anything right.

Good luck.
Hahahahaha. I find that hilarious, because I'm former military and love engaging in Christian apologetics. I usually find people being surprised at both from me, especially here in Hampton Roads. I can totally see that being true here, though. I really think it's going to just take me finding a more creative work environment. I'm going to have to carefully select the places I apply to, at least for now. I have enough savings to last me for a few months, but I don't want to push it. There will come a time when I know I'll do anything I can to help my chances. I just hope that I don't have to reach that point.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I don't imagine the OP has any fault. It is possible that his strengths are just not quite strong enough for competing in an ever-tightening job market.
I actually think this is the case. I have a great work history for a couple of years at one company and I was academically very sound, but there are a thousand others in line for each job I'm applying to, and among that thousand, I'm sure there are many who have far, far more experience than I do. Honestly, I think that's my biggest disadvantage right now.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
^^Basically we are telling you to move to Palm Beach or Bal Harbour and spend the rest of your days as a gigolo to wealthy and often divorced older women.
And then write a romance novel about my adventures with myself on the cover. I like this idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search