Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2013, 11:28 PM

170 posts, read 371,175 times

Advertisements

A recruiter from a staffing agency sets me up to interview for a job with a well-known company on Monday. It was a 30-minute, very to-the-point interview that went well, I thought. They told me they're interviewing 10 people for 3 positions and will make a decision by the end of Wednesday.

Later that Monday, the recruiter emails me and tells me that she has a "similar" position I can interview for on Wednesday if I have time. The position is at the same company, has a nearly identical description as the one I interviewed for before, but has a different title and has me interviewing with a different person than before. I assume this isn't some screwup, but it is. I got dressed up and drove 1 hour to town to accidentally interview for the same position on the same team. The interviewer and I figured that out after 5 minutes. We then parted ways and he told, as I had already been told, that they were going to make a decision by the end of that day.

Waste of time, but I'm not too annoyed. I think, "Well, that means I have a slightly better chance because I'm competing against 8 people instead of 9. It might also be good that they saw me all tidy and punctual on two different days, and because I had a good attitude about the miscommunication on their part."

It's Thursday night and I haven't heard anything. Can you believe that? I know they didn't technically say that they would contact everyone who didn't get hired, but they only had 6 rejectees to send emails to, if they would've taken the time to. I'm assuming I'm a rejectee at this point. But what the heck????? I do expect some courtesy for having driven up there twice and met with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 06:08 AM

11,558 posts, read 11,988,792 times
Most HR groups will not notify a candidate that they weren't selected because it opens up a can of worms and the ongoing 'why not me' questions.

As unorganized as that company is when interviewing, perhaps you lucked out by not getting hired.

It's very easy to get burned out on interviews; however, you could look at each interview as a rehearsal for the 'right' job and learn from each interview: what you could have done better, what you should not have said, etc.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:35 AM

8 posts, read 14,098 times
OP, I think it's okay for you to contact them and ask about your status. Sometimes HR policy is to stay silent about rejections until the candidate explicitly asks. For some other companies, they don't even reply when you ask.

Had that experience with a company months ago, they didn't get back to me 2 weeks after the interview so I called them, no response. Then I emailed the HR representative (who had been pretty responsive before the interview) and no response from her. Did so again a month later and no response.

So non-response is a common HR policy in many companies. It's a mean, discourteous policy but if there's anything I've learned in this process, it's that companies are only out for themselves when it comes to hiring, they do not seem to have any moral or ethical qualms beyond what is stipulated by law. Therefore as a candidate, you too have to adopt that same mentality, be only out for YOURSELF, and get used to the idea of screwing companies over because they WILL NOT HESITATE TO DO THAT TO YOU if they needed to. You cannot afford to be nice in an environment where everybody else is cutthroat, it's an unwise strategy.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:50 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,328,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie4 View Post
So non-response is a common HR policy in many companies. It's a mean, discourteous policy but if there's anything I've learned in this process, it's that companies are only out for themselves when it comes to hiring, they do not seem to have any moral or ethical qualms beyond what is stipulated by law. Therefore as a candidate, you too have to adopt that same mentality, be only out for YOURSELF, and get used to the idea of screwing companies over because they WILL NOT HESITATE TO DO THAT TO YOU if they needed to. You cannot afford to be nice in an environment where everybody else is cutthroat, it's an unwise strategy.
Yep and HR always wants an exit interview with employees who quit for feedback about the company. Unfortunately Hypocracy, rudeness, bigotry, and stupidity are the hallmarks of HR which is why they are hated.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:55 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,327,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
A recruiter from a staffing agency sets me up to interview for a job with a well-known company on Monday. It was a 30-minute, very to-the-point interview that went well, I thought. They told me they're interviewing 10 people for 3 positions and will make a decision by the end of Wednesday.

Later that Monday, the recruiter emails me and tells me that she has a "similar" position I can interview for on Wednesday if I have time. The position is at the same company, has a nearly identical description as the one I interviewed for before, but has a different title and has me interviewing with a different person than before. I assume this isn't some screwup, but it is. I got dressed up and drove 1 hour to town to accidentally interview for the same position on the same team. The interviewer and I figured that out after 5 minutes. We then parted ways and he told, as I had already been told, that they were going to make a decision by the end of that day.

Waste of time, but I'm not too annoyed. I think, "Well, that means I have a slightly better chance because I'm competing against 8 people instead of 9. It might also be good that they saw me all tidy and punctual on two different days, and because I had a good attitude about the miscommunication on their part."

It's Thursday night and I haven't heard anything. Can you believe that? I know they didn't technically say that they would contact everyone who didn't get hired, but they only had 6 rejectees to send emails to, if they would've taken the time to. I'm assuming I'm a rejectee at this point. But what the heck????? I do expect some courtesy for having driven up there twice and met with them.
Wow! That exact same thing happened to me. The difference was that I interviewed with them for a position, then a month later another simmilar one popped up and he forgot that I already interviewed with them, but it was the same people with a slightly different position. It was awkward for all of us. I was actually shocked and embarressed for the head hunter. Its unbelieveable how seriously incompotent these people are. I mean if you were that company, how could you even consider using a head hunter again.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:00 AM

6,129 posts, read 7,936,970 times
You interviewed on Monday and you're whining on Thursday night. I don't know if you got the job or not, but even if they did make a decision on Wednesday they might not have contacted anybody yet.

You mentioned a recruiter. Call or email that person for an update.

And you don't have to start a new thread every time you go on an interview. It's getting old.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:53 AM

13,520 posts, read 21,996,616 times
If you are Plan B in case their first choice(s) doesn't accept, you may not hear from them until much later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search