U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2013, 12:30 PM

10 posts, read 11,457 times

Advertisements

OK I've been on ALOT of interviews it feels like within the last year.. So, I am wondering if it's me. I get so nervous even though I've done this a bunch of times.. I've researched the companies, so I have actually went to for services. I just do not know what is wrong with me.

My questions are:

1. What do you say when they ask Why do you want to work here? I normally say because I have heard great things about the company and they treat clients with respect.

2. what do you say when they ask What are some weaknesses you have?? I normally say time management but then then I decided to become a mom, and go to school full time, and realized that time management and organizational skills were very important. Then I tell them how I have a calendar at home with everyone's name on it and activities, school work, menus because I really have this stuff.

Last question is
3. When can you start?? I normally tell them two weeks to get daycare figured out.

Are these dumb answers that are making me look stupid?? Ugh, so frustrated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 02:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,064 posts, read 54,850,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennakrebs View Post
OK I've been on ALOT of interviews it feels like within the last year.. So, I am wondering if it's me. I get so nervous even though I've done this a bunch of times.. I've researched the companies, so I have actually went to for services. I just do not know what is wrong with me.

My questions are:

1. What do you say when they ask Why do you want to work here? I normally say because I have heard great things about the company and they treat clients with respect.

2. what do you say when they ask What are some weaknesses you have?? I normally say time management but then then I decided to become a mom, and go to school full time, and realized that time management and organizational skills were very important. Then I tell them how I have a calendar at home with everyone's name on it and activities, school work, menus because I really have this stuff.

Last question is
3. When can you start?? I normally tell them two weeks to get daycare figured out.

Are these dumb answers that are making me look stupid?? Ugh, so frustrated!
I can see some problems here from your post. When you say "because I have heard great things about the company and they treat clients with respect. " it sounds like a generic canned response recommended by some internet job tip site. Prior to an interview, do a lot of research about the company and cite real data about them. People want to hire someone that wants to be there, is enthusiastic about working there and not just looking for a "job."

On your weaknesses, interviewers know that everyone has some, and are looking for honesty but for something that is not critical, and evidence that you are working to overcome it. Mentioning that you are a mom is a no-no. They are not allowed to ask and you gave them something that may cause them to avoid you, fearing a lot of time off when kids get sick. Better to use a work example of how you discovered and worked on improving your time management. The weakness can't always be used for every interview. Time management is a bad problem if the job involves multiple priorities and deadlines.

For when you can start, again, you are burying yourself with that answer. Do NOT mention daycare, that's another red flag. Simply answer "two weeks."

Old 12-11-2013, 02:19 PM

10 posts, read 11,457 times
oh ok. Thank you for the response. This whole job thing is tough

Old 12-11-2013, 02:21 PM

206 posts, read 346,284 times
Very good advice, Hemlock.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:15 PM

504 posts, read 972,361 times
It wouldn't hurt to do a mock interview with a friend who you can trust to give you honest feedback. You might have a tick that is throwing people off or be giving off the wrong vibe and not even know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or