U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2013, 08:14 PM

8 posts, read 11,369 times

Advertisements

Applied to this place about a week ago, and then on Monday I got an informal job offer through email telling me an official offer would be sent SHORTLY. Heard nothing back from them till today when they called to tell me they had a new and different position for me, told me to apply for it and they'd give me an official offer after 4 days. This new position has a job description identical to the previous one I interviewed for, except it's a temporary position (2 years), unlike the original position which was permanent. I tried to find out more about what happened to the old (permanent) position but they were being really sketchy and dodgy.

If there's anyone here with hiring experience, please could you shed some light on what may be going on here internally? My guesses so far:
(1) sometime after sending me the unofficial/informal offer, they found someone else and gave them the position, now they are using this temporary position offer as a ruse to string me along in case that person rejects them
(2) they were lying about the official letter coming soon, they needed me to accept the informal offer first, and only then would they start the (supposedly) lengthy process of getting all the signatures/approval for an official letter.

I only found out about Option 2 recently after a lot of frantic googling. Wish I had known about that, would have accepted the informal offer IMMEDIATELY. Stupid me for believing their claim that an official offer was just around the corner . Should I even trust them to honor this new promise about sending an official letter for the temporary position, or just move on? So confused !!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 08:22 PM

11,289 posts, read 8,672,423 times
Is this a non-profit or do they receive government money? Because of the two year thing, I'm thinking the position is grant funded or something similar. This is pretty common in certain fields.

I think your #2 isn't real. I believe they told you what they could. They made the informal offer based on the info they had at the time.

It sounds like you are suspicious for no real reason. Give them some time to provide an official offer letter. If you don't have it in a reasonable amount of time, do a follow up. No need to be angry and distrustful at this point.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:47 PM

Thanks charlygal, this is a non-profit both the permanent position and the new 2-year position are grant-funded. However the 2-year position terminates even if funds are still available. The permanent position, in principle, continues indefinitely as long as grant funding continues to be available. I hope you're right and #2 is not the case, I was just suspicious since I've that option keeps being brought up on the websites i've been seeing. Thanks again for your response.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:14 PM

11,289 posts, read 8,672,423 times
Well, you know all the facts upfront. Only you can decide to take a 2 year job.

There really are some pros with working a limited term.

1. Prevents personal career stagnation. You won't get too comfortable.
2. After 2 years, you may be sick and tired of the job and the people.
3. Great time frame to plan your next career step up. You can take classes, get a certification, etc.
4. You can look forward to the potential of a sizable raise in two years as you move on to your next job

Old 12-12-2013, 07:03 AM

Thanks charly, I'm calling them today to confirm the temp position, hopefully they were being honest when they told me to apply for it.

Old 12-12-2013, 11:09 AM

13,343 posts, read 17,518,656 times
So, um, they'll extend an offer to you without any interviews? Does that sound kosher to you?

Old 12-12-2013, 04:02 PM

7,136 posts, read 9,405,852 times
This sounds like a bait-and-switch ripoff.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:14 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,886,879 times
How do you offer a job without an interview...?

Old 12-12-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
So, um, they'll extend an offer to you without any interviews? Does that sound kosher to you?
They told me the job description for this temp position is exactly the same as the one they offered, so I could use the same application materials (CV, cover letter) as before, and I figure that since they already previously interviewed me for a position with identical job description, why go through that rigmarole again? Wish I knew more about HR dealings in order to know how common what is happening to me is.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:54 AM

507 posts, read 974,015 times
Hang in there and keep up communication with them. Hopefully it will turn out well for you. If not, then move on and stay positive -- not all companies are the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or