Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2013, 06:13 PM

265 posts, read 533,918 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in this line of work. I'm about to graduate with a BA in Psychology and a minor in criminology. Does anyone have any insight as working as a recruiter/"headhunter"? I'm very interested in the business/sales line of work as well as getting to interview and screen candidates to fill positions with clients. My questions are

A) how competitive are these jobs?
B) whats the general median salary?

Would my psych background(and criminology) look good on a resume as far as being a good judge of character for HR purposes?

Also, I have sales experience so I know some (always learning) great marketing techniques.

What are your thoughts on working at a staffing or "temp" agency as a recruiter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 07:03 PM

615 posts, read 1,379,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
I'm interested in this line of work. I'm about to graduate with a BA in Psychology and a minor in criminology. Does anyone have any insight as working as a recruiter/"headhunter"? I'm very interested in the business/sales line of work as well as getting to interview and screen candidates to fill positions with clients. My questions are

A) how competitive are these jobs?
B) whats the general median salary?

Would my psych background(and criminology) look good on a resume as far as being a good judge of character for HR purposes?

Also, I have sales experience so I know some (always learning) great marketing techniques.

What are your thoughts on working at a staffing or "temp" agency as a recruiter?
Big NO. A lot of people have very little to no respect for people that work at temp agencies. They exploit people and usually just collect resumes to meet quotas. What is worst is that a lot of times they call your current boss or your references for leads without having any intention of offering you an actual job once they get your info on their apps!

The type of people that work at temp agencies are usually the ones that can't find a job anywhere else.

Last edited by Chicago87; 12-25-2013 at 07:24 PM..

Old 12-25-2013, 07:35 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,828,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
A lot of people have very little to no respect for people that work at temp agencies. They exploit people and usually just collect resumes to meet quotas. What is worst is that a lot of times they call your current boss or your references for leads without having any intention of offering you an actual job once they get your info on their apps!
^ This.

I have less respect for a "recruiter" than I do a crooked used car salesman.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:57 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,442,427 times
If you want to do that type of work, then do it. If you are in your last semester of school, you should reach out NOW to a local temp agency and see if you can design your own internship with them. Ask to shadow a recruiter, see if they'll allow you to screen some resumes, etc. You can go into the office twice a week or so for about 3 months.

Also reach out to people who work in Human Resources as many large companies have internal recruiters. Go to meetup.com and type in Human Resources. There are many meet ups for people that work in that industry. Sign up and go to a few meet ups. Get to know some people, get their business cards and contact info and let them know that you are graduating in a few months and you want to get into their line of work. Meet ups are great for making no-pressure connections.

Here's one example of a listing for a recruiters' meet up group: http://www.meetup.com/Recruiters-for-Good/

One good connection can help you tremendously.

Old 12-26-2013, 11:59 AM

694 posts, read 1,199,154 times
Being a successful recruiter does not depend as much on your psych major, or understanding humans as it does on the network which you, coming out of school, simply don't have. Most of the recruiters build the network by working someplace else, for example, recruiters for my profession, accounting, work for either Big 4 or other well-known CPA firms, often followed by working several years for a client such as bank, etc, where you build more relationships, and only then, they jump ship to become recruiters, but that's not the end, you continue building relationships, a guy who placed me at my company 10 years ago at a staff level, is the guy I put a call to since I am now controller responsible for hiring, and he will be the guy I call if I decide to look for another job, and most likely, he will be the one looking for my replacement.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:19 PM

265 posts, read 533,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
If you want to do that type of work, then do it. If you are in your last semester of school, you should reach out NOW to a local temp agency and see if you can design your own internship with them. Ask to shadow a recruiter, see if they'll allow you to screen some resumes, etc. You can go into the office twice a week or so for about 3 months.

Also reach out to people who work in Human Resources as many large companies have internal recruiters. Go to meetup.com and type in Human Resources. There are many meet ups for people that work in that industry. Sign up and go to a few meet ups. Get to know some people, get their business cards and contact info and let them know that you are graduating in a few months and you want to get into their line of work. Meet ups are great for making no-pressure connections.

Here's one example of a listing for a recruiters' meet up group: Recruiters for Good (New York, NY) - Meetup

One good connection can help you tremendously.
Thanks!

Old 12-26-2013, 04:35 PM

50,377 posts, read 36,021,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
^ This.

I have less respect for a "recruiter" than I do a crooked used car salesman.
Why do you say this? I have gotten most of my past jobs via recruiters (health care/therapy). Rehab companies call them and tell them they need someone, a PT, OT, nurse, etc. and the recruiters call people who are licensed in that field in the area the employer is in and ask them if they are available and interested. Why do you feel there is anything "crooked" about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search