U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2013, 01:42 AM

2 posts, read 1,666 times

Advertisements

I had an interview on Monday the 9th and I was hired on the spot.
I signed the job offer agreement and signed the background check form as well.
They told me they would send an email regarding about a drug test as well which they would send the same day or the next.
They filed all the paperwork on Tuesday but yet no email about the drug test location.
I been checking my email and there is nothing.
Is it because they are waiting for my background check results ? And how long should I keep waiting until I call my manager.
I called him already on Tuesday and he said I was fine so I don't wanna keep calling
Is there anything I should be worried about or I'm just stressing over nothing since things like this don't happen the next day, any advice would be appreciated (:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 09:45 AM

11,118 posts, read 8,527,266 times
Not sure what type of companies hire on the spot these days. I would suspect that there are delays from getting proper approvals and doing the background check. If you signed a legitimate job offer, then I would say not to worry just yet. Give them at least until Tuesday (a full week) before you follow up again.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:06 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,635,471 times
yes, it is because the background check has not been completed.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 1,666 times
Thanks you guys I'll wait until Wednesday atleast to follow up if I don't hear anything sooner. I have a clean record so I'm not worried about that it's just the whole hiring process.
It's a new company opening this month so that's why their hiring on the spot so they have their employees ready.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:55 PM

2,633 posts, read 5,513,221 times
You need to call right away about the drug test. Many companies have a very short window from the time you are given the offer until the drug test must be taken (generally 48 hours). Call right now - every number you have - and confirm that they still have not sent you that info.

I can't stress this enough - call now - a "no show" is considered a failed test.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:16 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,750 posts, read 54,390,602 times
Drug tests cost money, most companies will take one step at a time and stop the process as soon as there is any failure. They won't want to pay for a drug test until the background check results are in. Then there is the scheduling issues, often more difficult this time of year. I agree with waiting at least a full week.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:33 PM

11,118 posts, read 8,527,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
You need to call right away about the drug test. Many companies have a very short window from the time you are given the offer until the drug test must be taken (generally 48 hours). Call right now - every number you have - and confirm that they still have not sent you that info.

I can't stress this enough - call now - a "no show" is considered a failed test.
The "clock" on drug tests usually doesn't begin until the candidate has been given a code number and a list labs.

Old 12-14-2013, 01:42 PM

2,633 posts, read 5,513,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The "clock" on drug tests usually doesn't begin until the candidate has been given a code number and a list labs.
I am amply aware of this, as I send 5-6 people per quarter through this process. My concern for the OP stems around the possibility of a miscommunication or "missed" email that may have gone to a junk folder, etc.

While companies may have different processes, many start the drug test clock the minute the offer is accepted. The theory behind this is that background results won't change in a few days, but drug test results can! In my process, once the offer is accepted, they have 48 hours to complete the test. I'm just concerned for the OP that they could have something similar. All it would cost him/her is a few minutes of time and some phone calls to rule that possibility out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or