U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2013, 03:54 AM

3,072 posts, read 4,289,099 times

Advertisements

We are moving a large distance (nearly one coast to the other) with my husband's job - this is a permanent move. I have been a SAHM for a few years but I would like to work part-time when we move. All my potential jobs are with the city government, which can be a super long hiring process (six months to one year).

Should I try and apply BEFORE we move? Or should I wait until we get there? I don't have a definite date (it happens whenever our house sells, which could be fast but could be long), but I know the city jobs take a long time to process. I won't be able to go to interviews before the move but I also don't want to waste a year sitting at home waiting for calls. We don't *NEED* the money but it's pretty tight/dire without!

Thanks for advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 09:33 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,937 posts, read 54,667,582 times
I'm at a public agency in Seattle (not city) and work with many city departments, and their hiring process is not nearly that long around here. As long as you indicate that you are moving there, you could still get interviews, but will have to fly out for them at your own expense. Below are a couple of sites to look for jobs in our area, hopefully you can find something similar in the area where you are going:

https://apply.govjobstoday.com/

AWC JobNet - Search Jobs

Your problem will be that cities typically have very few part-time jobs. Good luck.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:36 AM

11,204 posts, read 8,594,278 times
Your situation is unique in that it is tied to selling your house. You've also said you will not be able to do any out of town interviewing. Plus, you're only looking for part time work.

Based on what you've written, it would make sense for you to wait until you move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or