U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 08:48 PM

612 posts, read 1,185,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the bueno guy View Post
Thanks. I haven't accepted it. I have to let all of the information presented in the day soak in and look over the insurance package more in depth. Also, I have another interview at another company on Friday. The position is for a Application Engineer
To all the people out there complaining about not being able to find a job, do you see what an actual degree that gives you an in demand skill gets you?

An actual job!

I was in a similar position not too long ago. I had just accepted a new job and companies were literally hounding me to go work for them! This one company kept calling every day for like two weeks straight!

Skills = JOB = INCOME = MONEY

USELESS DEGREE + NO SKILLS = NO JOB = NO INCOME = NO MONEY = YOU GO OCCUPY WALL STREET! Any questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 08:55 PM

54 posts, read 72,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
To all the people out there complaining about not being able to find a job, do you see what an actual degree that gives you an in demand skill gets you?

An actual job!

I was in a similar position not too long ago. I had just accepted a new job and companies were literally hounding me to go work for them! This one company kept calling every day for like two weeks straight!

USELESS DEGREE + NO SKILLS = NO JOB = NO INCOME = NO MONEY = YOU GO OCCUPY WALL STREET! Any questions?
It's hard as hell to break into the controls field without any experience. I am glad they are willing to take a chance on me for me to show them what I am capable of. Also, I have gotten calls from recruiters for the same position title, and I got the same rejection every time, "your resume looks good but you don't have XX experience in PLC's."

Old 12-19-2013, 01:18 PM

4,791 posts, read 13,208,594 times
Yeah, lucky break you got... I took a class in PLCs but never got hired to do it. They all want PLC experience, not a newbie.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:29 PM

701 posts, read 926,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the bueno guy View Post
It's hard as hell to break into the controls field without any experience. I am glad they are willing to take a chance on me for me to show them what I am capable of. Also, I have gotten calls from recruiters for the same position title, and I got the same rejection every time, "your resume looks good but you don't have XX experience in PLC's."
I really don't understand that mentality. Anyone who finished a BSEE can learn PLC programming. You even told them you have experience with ladder logic programming. I don't know how hard they think it would be for you to pick it up in a short amount of time, and possibly getting better at it than people who have been doing it for years. Employers seem hell-bent on making their openings incredibly specific and probably eliminating some of their best candidates in the process. This is like attempting to hire a chef and saying, "must be familiar with making Crepes Suzette on the Viking VGCC5606 range."

Old 12-19-2013, 05:04 PM

9,625 posts, read 10,341,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
I really don't understand that mentality. Anyone who finished a BSEE can learn PLC programming. You even told them you have experience with ladder logic programming. I don't know how hard they think it would be for you to pick it up in a short amount of time, and possibly getting better at it than people who have been doing it for years.
I agree. If you have the engineering degree, you can learn more skills as your career develops. This has been my own personal experience as my engineering career has progressed.

There are plenty of skills I've learned since I started in my career. I've spent countless hours in various training courses for CFD, advanced CAD, G-code, PLC, electronics, etc. if the company is large enough, they sometimes have training built into a yearly budget. Wouldn't hurt to ask if they would foot the bill on a PLC course or two.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:37 PM

54 posts, read 72,542 times
Riddle me this. What is usual starting salary for an entry level position as a comtrl engineer in Chicago? When I was told the salary I felt I was being low balled.

Old 12-20-2013, 03:52 AM

701 posts, read 926,632 times
According to this site, somewhere around $54k?

Electrical Controls Engineer I Salaries in Chicago, IL | Salary.com

Old 12-21-2013, 10:52 AM

1,049 posts, read 2,521,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
According to this site, somewhere around $54k?

Electrical Controls Engineer I Salaries in Chicago, IL | Salary.com
This is possibly a little low. I would negotiate, first tell them what average pay for BSEE grads from your school are(your school should have the stats on their website). Then argue the starting pay from an industry wide standpoint. I would negotiate by email, not phone.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:02 AM

193 posts, read 225,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post

An actual job!

I have a very useful degree. Or, at least I think I do. I should be getting my BS in Computer Information Systems this month. Yet, I'm being turned down time after time for even basic help desk jobs that require only a high school education. The irony is that in my state, we have this foolish program called Project Login that's trying to double the number of CS grads over the next four or so years. We're being told that there's a shortage of IT people and those of us majoring is CS, CIS, MIS, IT, and SE are in high demand. I'm telling you, I just don't see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or