Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: hiring contractors and freelancers
experience with your kind of business or industry 5 62.50%
experience working with size of business (startup, mid-size or corporate) 0 0%
exact match of projects 0 0%
quality of work 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 05:42 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times

Advertisements

is familiarity and experience with your industry or that they have worked with your size of company or the kinds of projects they have worked on or quality of work the highest priority in selection?

I am working on a business plan and trying to figure out to best build my target client list.

Please comment and vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 10:59 AM

anyone?

Old 12-15-2013, 11:04 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
The answer is: Yes.

Why are they mutually exclusive?

Old 12-15-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
The answer is: Yes.

Why are they mutually exclusive?

Thanks for answering my poll.

I have done a wide assortment of projects both small and large companies, different industries and trying to figure out whether I want to focus my company on services that would be more interesting exclusively to start-ups or some particular kinds of businesses I have worked with both large and small. If I narrow it down to both it might be too narrow of a focus.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:53 PM

87 posts, read 190,426 times
I think your question is incredibly vague. There are different reasons a company would be contracting something out. No desire to do the work, deadline to meet, short on manpower, do not have the resources etc.

Each reason requires a different set of priorities they would be looking for in contractors. If I have no desire to do the work chances are quality isn't high on the list. If short on manpower I couldn't care less if you were in the industry or not because I would be telling you exactly what to do. Experience with company size generally only comes into effect when dealing with large corporations. Exact match of projects? Hmm, chances are I wouldn't be contracting probably hiring.

Old 12-15-2013, 10:04 PM

615 posts, read 1,381,938 times
I talked to some project managers that were unfortunate enough to hire Indian contractors that frabicated their experience, education, and training. They were more or less clueless, but demanded rates of $100 to $150 per hour!

They later found out that this seems to be a common theme with Indian contractors, especially those with H1B visas!
Caveat emptor!

!

Old 12-16-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlapper3396 View Post
I think your question is incredibly vague. There are different reasons a company would be contracting something out. No desire to do the work, deadline to meet, short on manpower, do not have the resources etc.

Each reason requires a different set of priorities they would be looking for in contractors. If I have no desire to do the work chances are quality isn't high on the list. If short on manpower I couldn't care less if you were in the industry or not because I would be telling you exactly what to do. Experience with company size generally only comes into effect when dealing with large corporations. Exact match of projects? Hmm, chances are I wouldn't be contracting probably hiring.

No desire to do the work?
I've never come across this. What would be an example of this?

Deadline to meet/short on manpower – not seeking these kinds of projects and clients

Do not have the resources – Seeking this kind of client. So which of the criteria would be most important to this kind of client?

Experience with company size generally only comes into effect when dealing with large corporations.

My experience and observations match this. The larger corporations seem to high rank projects done for larger companies with a larger budget above more ingenious solutions done for a start-up. The start-ups value my experience with some of the largest corporations and are also impressed with projects done for other start-ups where I had a higher level of decision making and control over the outcome of the project.

Old 12-16-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago87 View Post
I talked to some project managers that were unfortunate enough to hire Indian contractors that frabicated their experience, education, and training. They were more or less clueless, but demanded rates of $100 to $150 per hour!
Grrrr, and I seem lately to get emails and phone calls from overseas third party agencies offering me lower hourly wages than the established third party agencies I have been working with for years for the exact same position. I ignore their phone calls and emails. Those agencies making $150/hr are probably hiring people as sub-contractors who are willing to accept those wages.

More incentive for getting away from the third party middlepeople.

[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search