U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2013, 12:27 PM

559 posts, read 1,312,836 times

Advertisements

So I'm back from maternity leave. I had been hoping desperately to find a job over my break and I did. The problem is, I'm not sure it is the job for me.

I went because it was the only interview I've gotten in months. Right now I work 8-5, Mon-Fri, with weekends and tons of time off for holidays. This is great because my SO also gets weekends and holidays off and we can both spend that time with our new baby. This new job, however, would require us moving in with his mom to be closer to both of our jobs. He drives an hour to his job everyday one way right now. I drive 45 min one way. Her house is 10 min from both of our jobs. Also, we would have access to a cheap babysitter! A friend who offered to watch him for us. And we would be savings TONS of money for a downpayment on a house.

There are problems, though. My new job is overnight shift. Me, his mom, and he would all be working over night. I would be working overnight 12 hour shifts or longer, it's a hospital, they need you to stay-you stay. So who would watch baby during the day? And if we let him sleep, then he will be awake overnight when he goes to the babysitter who works during the day so she would be up all night.

Also, since it's a hospital, No weekends or holidays off. I would have to fight for them. And I also don't get consecutive days off in a row. Only one day a time. And the pay is not increased, it's the same pay I make now.

So my problem is time vs. money. I would still get to see my family, but it wouldn't be full chunks of time like the weekends I have off now.

This job would offer us saving a couple thousand every month for a down payment and be closer to our jobs.

My job now offers stability, weekends off, and holidays off but no overtime options and we save very little each month.

Which is better? Living in a potentially stressful environment to save money and be better off later?

Or keep the more stable less stressful environment and have to save longer for a down payment?

Or wait for another job even though this is the first job offer I've had in 2 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 12:40 PM

35,324 posts, read 25,265,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
Or wait for another job even though this is the first job offer I've had in 2 years?

I'd stay with this job because of the above.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:50 PM

15,393 posts, read 17,675,917 times
If you add babysitter costs for daytime (if take new job), will you still be able to save several thousand per month?

WHY are you interviewing/changing jobs? If this new job does not meet the criteria of what you want, then write down all the pros/cons of taking it. Review them with your husband/significant other. You both need to decide.

Were you looking for something closer to his mom?

If you take the new job, could your husband change shift so he can watch the child times that you cannot?

What are the chances that your new job would allow a shift change after a year or two?

***In reading your post, seems that you really don't want the new job, in your gut. But the only reason you want it is because it's the only offer in 2 years. First tell yourself why you started job hunting in the first place. Does the new job meet the criteria you set forth, more than the current job?

How well do you get along with your spouses mother? Would y'all be a happy family or is she reluctantly doing this to help out? All living in one home with a baby might be reason for high stress. It could cause you to possibly split up with your significant other because his mother will always take his side and you might feel like the fifth wheel. And he will do no wrong in his mother's eyes. And she might want to make decisions about raising the baby that normally would fall to you and your husband. But he will likely cave and allow his mother to make the choices because he is used to having her do this, especially in her home. You might be in a uncomfortable situation regarding choices on how to raise your baby - such as sleep times and feeding methods and everything. It could be a constant struggle that might make you wish you had independence and make you want to move out sooner than anticipated.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:59 PM

15,393 posts, read 17,675,917 times
After re-reading your post, you have a child care issue if you take the new job.

You and your spouse and his mother all would work night shift. So you need a nighttime baby sitter AND a daytime baby sitter. Because you will all be sleeping during the day and working at night.

You cheap babysitter works during the day and sleeps at night. If your cheap babysitter has a job, how many hours do they anticipate babysitting? A few hours at night after work?

You need to write up a day/night schedule by hours, 7 days a week of who will be watching the baby as primary and who is backup. I see a big problem.

At least now you know that weekends you are available for the baby. And by you working day shift it's easier to get daytime baby sitters as most folks use day time baby sitters.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:08 PM

2,677 posts, read 3,870,525 times
Don't move in with mom. That stress is not worth it on you, your job or your child. Keep looking if that's what you want to do. I wouldn't' give up the free time together either. If it was like 50% more money, then maybe, but since it's the same, no way!

Old 12-18-2013, 12:19 PM

559 posts, read 1,312,836 times
I decided not to take the job. And I actually got an interview and probably job offer ( I got the tour and was introduced to everyone) that is much more suited to our needs.

I'm glad I passed up on the offer because child care was going to be a nightmare.

All of you gave me the same advice I have been giving to myself! If I have to talk myself into taking a job, it's probably not the job for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or