U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 06:39 AM

15,428 posts, read 17,767,685 times

Advertisements

Sounds like they are trying to guess whether he would relocate back to the old location if you broke up. And because you are boyfriend/girlfriend, a break-up seems more likely versus if you were husband/wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 07:50 AM

2,612 posts, read 4,789,854 times
I'm confused - is your boyfriend a permanent resident or citizen, or on some kind of work or other visa? If he has visa issues, then many of those questions make sense. Either that, or perhaps the manager was clumsily trying to figure out if he would actually relocate for the job, or if the whole relocation/moving thing would make it pointless to offer the job or difficult for him to begin work.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:56 AM

1,638 posts, read 2,621,825 times
Is he a citizen? Is this for an aerospace and defense company? Is he required to obtain a clearance? I think it is more appropriate to say "Are you able to pass an XX clearance if selected" than ask the others, but I can't imagine why they would ask all that unless it was relevant.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:01 AM

1,638 posts, read 2,621,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
We both interchange spouse and gf/bf for a few reasons. Mainly it come down to a reason we are not married. We have not married because we have HUGE challenges finding work in the same city/reasonable drive area. Him getting this job means we "can" get married and not be long distance. The problem is that most the people we know look down on moving for your gf and don't look down on moving for your wife. That whole seriousness issue.

That being said, we are pretty serious. I could easily seem him going back to school(in my new area) if his interviews don't pan out. But then we would be back in this situation.

---

He is a very conservative, private, technical, person. That why it make him feel uncomfortable. He was expecting to be quizzed on his technical background and fit, more than his girlfriend's new job.

Personally looking at it from the outside ( and being an overly politically correct person), I think these types of questions potentially open a company up to a lawsuit or legal hassle. We were hope it was a sign they liked him (due to his resume, phone interview, and reference) and were not seriously interviewing him. But (a few) people here are saying it is "normal". But, our friends have not been asked these types of questions. So I'm still wondering, how common are they?
Spouse is a legal term for someone you are legally married to. I don't know why you even throw those two terms around. If he was asked whether or not he was married, he should say no. By the way, all those questions are illegal questions that were asked of him.

I recommend you not interchange "spouse" and "boyfriend". It's legally misleading. This employer is asking your boyfriend illegal questions.

Don't Answer That Interview Question

It IS, however, legal to ask if you are legal to work in the US. Also if you are able to obtain a clearance. I still need to know a little more about the nature of his work? Was this during the interview, or on a form to submit for clearance? Obtaining security clearance is a very in depth process that leaves no stones unturned. You have to have complete disclosure of foreign/domestic family members, if they are alive/deceased, any mental health counseling you have received (usually in the last 5 years), your spouse, etc etc. I'm lead to believe this is some sort of security issue, I have no idea why an employer would ask these questions, they aren't even remotely interesting unless it's on a clearance form. Clearance is also not usually a process started until AFTER a job offer, if you don't already have a clearance.

EDIT: I also never bring up the fact that I am in a committed relationship during an interview. This is because I do NOT want it to change the way the employer sees me. My boyfriend has no ruling over where I choose to take work (he is following me where I set myself up), and no employer should see it that way.

Last edited by lmw36; 12-22-2013 at 08:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or