U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 10:58 AM

668 posts, read 571,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
There is an incontravertable need to have employees not under the influence of mind altering substances on the job and a definate logical correlation between drug use and poor work performance. That is not the case with credit checks.

I can guarantee your proposal will repel good workers, bring public condemnation upon your company, and even if heavily adopted a law will be past within months that will make that approach just as illegal after the deafening public outcry. I think you should be next in line for a drug test. The more people like you behave like moral creatins the more laws will be passed to stop such behavior.
And it's silly law's like this that has our jobs leaving this country.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:11 AM

27,391 posts, read 15,816,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
What are these silly laws? If you mention paying a minimum (if not living) wage, the ADA and the EPA, you have no case.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:12 AM

8,820 posts, read 13,316,033 times
Quote:
No it is greedy amoral business leaders that has jobs leaving the country and the public screaming for more regulations to stop this shameful behavior. If you don't like regulations show you can behave in a decent manner without them. Unfortunately time after time the idea of business "self-regulation" has led to disaster and gotten disproved as a viable option.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:14 AM

5,510 posts, read 6,142,963 times
Quote:
Yup. I'm sure those third world workers all have excellent credit.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:22 PM

3,909 posts, read 3,592,855 times
I posted a question on this thread on Friday but I don't think anybody answered it. Maybe nobody knows.

For what types of jobs are people's credit actually checked? I mean, if you want to flip burgers at McDonald's they are probably not going to go to the expense of a credit check. But if you want to be the CFO of a mid-size company they may want to check your credit.

Is there a median income where the prospective employer will "probably" do a credit check? Are there a certain categories of job for which it would make sense to do a credit check?

Old 12-23-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Yup. I'm sure those third world workers all have excellent credit.
Doesn't matter! If the product is made or service is performed in another country we just have to pay a set price and if they employee is a problem it's not our problem. When the government limits a companies ability to control it's business it is the logical choice. Too many Americans don't really want a job (evidenced buy threads like this) and it becomes too expensive to hire Americans.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:37 PM

8,820 posts, read 13,316,033 times
A lot of Americans don't want to go back to the last century where companies could pay the equivalent of 3 dollars an hour, force employees to work 16 hours a day without over-time, force female employees to sleep with them, etc... Its not that the government wants to contol businesses its they don't want buinsess leaders behaving like moral creatins, abusing and exploiting their workers, and frankly putting a shame on our nation. If you want to live in the good old gilded age by all means take your business to Laos. We don't need people like you here nor your goods or services.

I also strongly suspect your employee problems aren't the result of you having trouble screening employees, but rather potential employees screening you out. I wouldn't want to work for you nor would anyone else so enjoy recieving the refuse from other companies. They are probably the only workers you will attract and retain.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
A lot of Americans don't want to go back to the last century where companies could pay the equivalent of 3 dollars an hour, force employees to work 16 hours a day without over-time, force female employees to sleep with them, etc... Its not that the government wants to contol businesses its they don't want buinsess leaders behaving like moral creatins, abusing and exploiting their workers, and frankly putting a shame on our nation. If you want to live in the good old gilded age by all means take your business to Laos. We don't need people like you here nor your goods or services.

I also strongly suspect your employee problems aren't the result of you having trouble screening employees, but rather potential employees screening you out. I wouldn't want to work for you nor would anyone else so enjoy recieving the refuse from other companies. They are probably the only workers you will attract and retain.
I set a high threshold but because of the pay and benefits we have about 400 apply for every opening we have. We try to spend at least 2 months in the hiring process. This gives us time to learn enough to form a logical decision for the company. Also this weeds out a lot of people that may not be the best fit for us.

If you apply for a job with us you better dress right, talk right and have impeccable criminal, work and credit histories. I can weed you out for any reason and never give one. I am sure you would never make to the past the application stage with our firm anyway. We don't have too many chemist so there is rarely an opening. Most stay til retirement anyway.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:31 PM

5,510 posts, read 6,142,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I posted a question on this thread on Friday but I don't think anybody answered it. Maybe nobody knows.

For what types of jobs are people's credit actually checked? I mean, if you want to flip burgers at McDonald's they are probably not going to go to the expense of a credit check. But if you want to be the CFO of a mid-size company they may want to check your credit.

Is there a median income where the prospective employer will "probably" do a credit check? Are there a certain categories of job for which it would make sense to do a credit check?
Currently it depends on the company in states where it's still legal.

My understanding is that Target, for example, does them on all new hires. That worked out real well for them didn't it?

Old 12-23-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Currently it depends on the company in states where it's still legal.

My understanding is that Target, for example, does them on all new hires. That worked out real well for them didn't it?
How would you know how it's working out for them? There has been nothing come out that would indicate how it is working for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search