U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 05:33 PM

170 posts, read 310,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
Some medical issues are considered by most during the hiring process. Those that will affect work performance and attendance.
I know, but my point was that people in this thread are saying,

"If you can show that X is statistically correlated with work performance, then employers should be allowed to invade your privacy to check X."

It might be the case that people with herpes are statistically worse workers, because people with herpes tend to be people who are more sexually promiscuous, who tend to be partiers, who tend to be less reliable workers. Thus, employers should be allowed to require checks on our medical records to get a glimpse into our life and see what we're like. They should be able to see that we ordered an STD test on June 2nd, 2008, using Blue Shield insurance. That's what some people in this thread are suggesting.

In my opinion, a credit check by an employer is a complete invasion of privacy. A credit check is essentially a glimpse into your life. It shows where your finances have been. I don't want anyone seeing that any more than I want someone seeing my medical records. That's my personal information. I wouldn't share it with anyone.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:47 PM

660 posts, read 742,045 times
Some companies are lenient with your credit score if it's from student loans. I've had people tell me that they won't factor in student loans because it's supposed to be a good investment so they ignore my bad credit score.

Before I got student loans I've had no credit and no debt. The only debt I have are my student loans. I don't owe anyone else money. My car's paid for and I have no mortgage, I also never got a credit card. In this sense I guess you can say I'm lucky because some companies will just ignore a bad credit score due to student loans, but that's only some, what about the other companies?

Either way, I don't see why having a credit score should factor in whether or not you can do the job right. If someone came to my office with horrible credit, I'd still give him the job because the salary I provide should be able to help him improve his credit score (by him paying back the debts he owe). And even if he doesn't pay any of it back, why is it MY business to know what he's spending his salary on? The fact that this guy would rather spend his salary on buying a motorcycle instead of paying back his debts doesn't mean anything. It doesn't tell me whether or not he is a good employee, only his work ethic does.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:59 PM

8,799 posts, read 13,291,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
"If you can show that X is statistically correlated with work performance, then employers should be allowed to invade your privacy to check X."
Why stop there. Since we are in the process of regressing one hundred years of progress on labor rights. If one can show somewhat statistically that being black, hispanic, gay... are correlated with work performance lets not hire them.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:04 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,131,480 times
I've just cleaned up more off-topic posts and comments, most of them political in nature. Be advised that if this thread goes off-topic again, I will close it.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:28 PM

4,649 posts, read 6,482,581 times
What about companies who have under funded pensions or have a loss in employees 401k plan due to the investment choices they offer? What about cheating on a spouse? What about divorce? Why just look at credit? Fire the President on down to the janitor.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:31 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,438,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
What about companies who have under funded pensions or have a loss in employees 401k plan due to the investment choices they offer? What about cheating on a spouse? What about divorce? Why just look at credit? Fire the President on down to the janitor.
As an employee, once you learn of these discrepancies and issues, you are fully within your right to refuse employment or let your employer go.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:22 PM

4,649 posts, read 6,482,581 times
Why not fire the owner or have the company taken over and run by a 3rd party?

Old 12-23-2013, 10:30 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,438,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Why not fire the owner or have the company taken over and run by a 3rd party?
You previously mentioned firing the president. You can fire the president. If you think the president is doing something which not in the best interest of the company, you surely can fire him.

You cannot fire the majority owner of a company. You can incentivise the majority owner to leave, however.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:24 AM

4,196 posts, read 3,084,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
I'm curious as to what they would verify other than financial responsibility. My credit report only has a couple of my past employers and residential addresses.
If I were a manager, I'd want to verify that my applicant has exercised financial responsibility - especially if they were applying for a position in the banking industry, as a bookkeeper or accountant, or in a cash-handling position.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:31 AM

4,196 posts, read 3,084,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Why stop there. Since we are in the process of regressing one hundred years of progress on labor rights. If one can show somewhat statistically that being black, hispanic, gay... are correlated with work performance lets not hire them.

Apples to oranges.

The fact that someone is black, Hispanic, and/or gay doesn't reflect the choices they have made. A credit report does reflect choices someone has made, with regard to credit and financial management.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search