U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2013, 01:46 AM

10,082 posts, read 14,073,011 times

Advertisements

She is one of the few politicians I respect. And yes it should be abolished. How many companies have shiate credit, plenty. Kettle meet pot.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:18 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,523,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
She is one of the few politicians I respect. And yes it should be abolished. How many companies have shiate credit, plenty. Kettle meet pot.
You can obtain credit reports on companies before choosing to work there.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:52 AM

278 posts, read 243,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
I read a story one time about a painter who had excellent references and a solid body of work that got selected for but ended up getting turned away from a painting job because he declared bankruptcy. The reason he declared bankruptcy was because he had a serious medical issue and impossible medical bills and a finance expert told him that was his only way to get out of that and survive was to file bankruptcy. That story makes my blood boil.
:/ so sad

Old 12-24-2013, 07:05 AM

453 posts, read 521,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Apples to oranges.

The fact that someone is black, Hispanic, and/or gay doesn't reflect the choices they have made. A credit report does reflect choices someone has made, with regard to credit and financial management.
Like the choice to get sick and have major hospital bills due to a genetic condition or the birth of a child with a major birth defect? Like the choice to get laid off twice in as many years because your former EMPLOYER was fiscally irresponsible and it cost him business? Like the choice to have a tornado wipe out your home and then find that the insurer with whom you have your homeowner's policy would rather stonewall than pay?

Old 12-24-2013, 07:14 AM

668 posts, read 571,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
I know, but my point was that people in this thread are saying,

"If you can show that X is statistically correlated with work performance, then employers should be allowed to invade your privacy to check X."

It might be the case that people with herpes are statistically worse workers, because people with herpes tend to be people who are more sexually promiscuous, who tend to be partiers, who tend to be less reliable workers. Thus, employers should be allowed to require checks on our medical records to get a glimpse into our life and see what we're like. They should be able to see that we ordered an STD test on June 2nd, 2008, using Blue Shield insurance. That's what some people in this thread are suggesting.

In my opinion, a credit check by an employer is a complete invasion of privacy. A credit check is essentially a glimpse into your life. It shows where your finances have been. I don't want anyone seeing that any more than I want someone seeing my medical records. That's my personal information. I wouldn't share it with anyone.
And that is your choice. No one forces you to agree to share your credit history with a potential employer.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm an absolutely firm believer that an employer should only have access to an individual's credit report with explicit permission. However, banning access across the board is extremely careless.
Employers have to have your permission now. It is against the law to pull a credit history without the persons permission. No one has their credit history run without giving permission. That's why this is a non-issue. Every one who has had it done gave permission. If you don't want it to happen just say no. It's your choice.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:23 AM

8,847 posts, read 13,349,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
It's your choice.
No it is not. Submit to a credit check or don't get hired is not a choice it is an order from your potential boss. Are you going to claim in a sexual harassment case sleep with me or I'll fire you is also a choice?

Old 12-24-2013, 07:39 AM

3,765 posts, read 3,516,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
No it is not. Submit to a credit check or don't get hired is not a choice it is an order from your potential boss. Are you going to claim in a sexual harassment case sleep with me or I'll fire you is also a choice?
It's your choice. Not everyone requires a credit check. Frankly, with all the complaining you do, why not start your own company? It sounds as though you'll be much happier when you're the master of your destiny and not have to report to someone else.

Plus, you'll get to see what it's like hiring and managing people and perhaps you'll get a new perspective. Hint: it ain't easy.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
No more than refuse to go through the security check point and try to get on a plane. You have a choice but you will not fly if you refuse.

If I or my company is going to invest in you to train you for a job and are forced to give you health insurance and other benefits then we have the right to know what we want about you before investing in you. It is your choice to apply for our jobs of find someone who is not concerned about the type of people they hire. It's always your choice.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:19 AM

170 posts, read 311,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
If I or my company is going to invest in you to train you for a job and are forced to give you health insurance and other benefits then we have the right to know what we want about you before investing in you.
So, you have the right to require every job applicant's full medical history? How about requiring every job applicant to sleep with you? The sad thing is that if you did that you'd still get plenty of applicants because there are so many people desperate for work.

I actually agree that, legally, a company should be allowed to make a job applicant jump through any number of hoops. I believe that it should be allowed to discriminate on any criteria.

However, that doesn't mean I think it's ethical. There's a point at which you're leveraging your position of power to harass people.

And yes, it is a position of power. This isn't the old days where 99% of the population are farmers (thus self-employed).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search