U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2013, 09:46 AM

7,311 posts, read 4,964,458 times

Advertisements

I never understood why credit had bearing on employment in the first place.

Old 12-24-2013, 09:49 AM

51 posts, read 55,425 times
Lord another road block (or excuse) or hiring people! Smh...

Old 12-24-2013, 09:50 AM

15,590 posts, read 13,573,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
No more than refuse to go through the security check point and try to get on a plane. You have a choice but you will not fly if you refuse.

If I or my company is going to invest in you to train you for a job and are forced to give you health insurance and other benefits then we have the right to know what we want about you before investing in you. It is your choice to apply for our jobs of find someone who is not concerned about the type of people they hire. It's always your choice.
You are right, it is people's choice, that is why they will vote officials in that will curb these intrusions from businesses, just as happened with all these previous laws that has brought us out of the "The Jungle".

Old 12-24-2013, 09:56 AM

4,649 posts, read 6,493,188 times
Once people find out companies can get in trouble if their personal information is compromised then this credit check stuff will slow down. ID theft is a big problem. Just as a side note for those that still may apply for a job with a paper application ask the company how the discard old applications. Trash or shred?

Old 12-24-2013, 10:36 AM

27,404 posts, read 15,827,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kineticity View Post
Like the choice to get sick and have major hospital bills due to a genetic condition or the birth of a child with a major birth defect? Like the choice to get laid off twice in as many years because your former EMPLOYER was fiscally irresponsible and it cost him business? Like the choice to have a tornado wipe out your home and then find that the insurer with whom you have your homeowner's policy would rather stonewall than pay?
Or add in those who got jerked around after Super Storm Sandy or the various hurricanes over the last few years.

It's not like everyone is just automatically living outside their means. Don't get me wrong, there's still some of that, but it's not the only thing at play and not the only reason one must go bankrupt.

Old 12-24-2013, 10:47 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,961,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I never understood why credit had bearing on employment in the first place.
I guess because me filing Ch 13 bankruptcy 15 years ago would have an effect on my job performance at Boeing.

Maybe Airbus will pay me a bunch of money to give them all of Boeing's trade secrets!

I would then be able to pay off my credit cards! Boeing would be better off hiring someone who is more financially responsible for sure!

Old 12-24-2013, 12:35 PM

668 posts, read 571,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I guess because me filing Ch 13 bankruptcy 15 years ago would have an effect on my job performance at Boeing.

Maybe Airbus will pay me a bunch of money to give them all of Boeing's trade secrets!

I would then be able to pay off my credit cards! Boeing would be better off hiring someone who is more financially responsible for sure!
A bankruptcy 15 years ago is no longer on your credit history.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:49 AM

27,404 posts, read 15,827,676 times
Quote:
It seems almost everyone has the wrong idea of how the credit histories are used by employers. It's not about stealing for the most part. History of that shows up in criminal histories. The scientific results show that you can expect people with better credit histories to be more Conscientious in the work place and had a higher degree of Loyalty. The credit history shows you the past 7 years. This allows you to not consider one time events that happen to most people but look for patterns that indicate undesirable traits.
It's still been shown previously in the thread that this logic isn't correct and that get this, those who have bad credit actually are better workers. As for loyalty, there is little loyalty anymore whether it is tied to credit or being underemployed.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:55 AM

668 posts, read 571,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It's still been shown previously in the thread that this logic isn't correct and that get this, those who have bad credit actually are better workers. As for loyalty, there is little loyalty anymore whether it is tied to credit or being underemployed.
I have never seen data that concluded people with bad credit are better workers. Our company has studied and reviewed all the data available on the subject and all indicate the opposite to one degree or another. I have even quoted and linked to one such study.

Usually you find people who do not fulfill their obligations and are poor employees and members of society at large are the ones opposed to having an employer know any of their history prior to offering them a job. Those are traits that good HR personnel are trained to look for in a candidate for a job.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:51 AM

8,821 posts, read 13,321,929 times
Quote:
Usually you find people who do not fulfill their obligations and are poor employees and members of society at large are the ones opposed to having an employer know any of their history prior to offering them a job. Those are traits that good HR personnel are trained to look for in a candidate for a job.
The old only criminals need to fear a police state argument.

No I have absolutely nothing negative on my credit report and no debt and I object to these credit reports on the basis that it is none of the employers business and crosses the boundary between personal life and professional, that is it used as another lazy, bigoted HR death trap for applicants that contributes to long term unemployment, that the application process has gone way out of control already with companies giving me third grade writing assignments,
HR gone wild psychobable
Embarrassing junk science psychometric testing, and asking me about everything other than my ability to do the job well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search