U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 02:14 PM

15,545 posts, read 13,532,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The financials and score aren't why the CR is used (by most).

It's about having an objective and reliable source of information
to verify the (often completely made up) assertions of job applicants.
Really, so please tell us, what verification does the report do? And why would any employer deem the report reliable, when in fact many reports are incorrect?

I have had to correct my report a few times over the years, it has had me at employers I never worked for, and addressses I never lived at, yea, quality verification right there.

And given how easy it is for some stupid business to damage your credit report (check out the story and thread over the couple fined for writing a bad review), it is ridiculous to suggest that a credit report is at all a source of reliable information.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:21 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,128,466 times
For most positions, I don't see a compelling reason for employers to have full access to a credit report. I don't see a problem with using a credit agency to confirm information provided in an application, but there's a lot more in a credit report, including information potential employers couldn't legally request in an application or interview.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:23 PM

5,907 posts, read 7,024,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
to verify the (often completely made up) assertions of job applicants.
Speaking of completely made-up, the credit reports themselves are known to have a considerable number of errors. You can get a free report only once a year from each agency, so you could very well have to pay a fee to look be sure you aren't going to be denied a job on false grounds.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:30 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,199,187 times
Good for her! There are too many Internet companies that do credit reports and background checks which are filled with tons of errors. It is just really cheap these day to look up anything on you.

Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 12-18-2013 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: Removed political remark

Old 12-18-2013, 02:40 PM

27,316 posts, read 15,780,516 times
I agree with it though some jobs should require it if having good credit and making "good financial choices" are a job description like being a financial planner.

Old 12-18-2013, 02:48 PM

55,665 posts, read 74,620,384 times
The right to hire and fire
The final frontier
They already banned it in France that is why they are about to crash and burn
The government does not pay for anything
The government is a leech
Business makes the world go round

Old 12-18-2013, 02:51 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,857,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Elizabeth Warren Introduces Legislation To Prohibit Job Applicant Credit Checks

As someone who deals with credit reports for a living, I fully support this bill. Just because I wouldn't trust you enough to grant you a car loan does not mean that you would place my company in trouble if you got hired on as an IT guy or a plumber. A lot of people saw their credit score drop to the mid and lower 500s as a result of the great recession which included tightened credit, a lot of layoffs, and a bumper crop of foreclosures.

Also what the hell are you going to tell someone who just got through beating an aggressive cancer but has $200k+ in medical bills after insurance to do? Pay on those impossible bills and sacrifice food and a roof to keep their credit good or declare bankruptcy and wipe the slate clean and rebuild their lives and put their money towards surviving?

One caveat I have to this bill, is to exclude the banking field, specifically handling actual banking transactions.
I support this bill too. If the potential employee has the skills and experience for the job, then why should a credit check keep them away from proving how valuable they can be for the company?

Yet another reason why jobs are difficult to find these days.

Old 12-18-2013, 03:00 PM

55,665 posts, read 74,620,384 times
People think that standard business practices as to loaning money and employment should not apply to them as part of your civil liberties but employers and banks have civil liberties too

Violating those rights means bad loans and bad hires
This is going to cost you

Old 12-18-2013, 03:00 PM

37,110 posts, read 45,631,484 times
Although I think Elizabeth Warren is Moderator cut: snip, I would support her being against this intrusion into personal information.

Although I understand how a credit rating can be an accurate barometer of a persons character, and therefore a useful tool, there are many cases where an honorable person's credit rating is ruined by circumstances beyond his control.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 12-19-2013 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: Removed political comment

Old 12-18-2013, 03:06 PM

2,839 posts, read 4,991,034 times
Working in law enforcement I can see how they might need it because they want to make sure a person isn't in dire straights to where they could be influenced to take bribes.

That being said I don't like when companies check credit reports either and I have very good credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search