U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 04:55 PM

15,608 posts, read 13,589,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
If you disagree, why not explain your reasoning instead of just calling someone names? It seems to me this is more appropriate language for the politics forums, if indeed it's appropriate anywhere.
I will explain; work at will is for the employer and employee, the employer is free to terminate, and the employee is free to quit. The right to terminate is not under any pressure except from the most extreme groups, no more so than doing away with all employment laws are not under pressure except from extreme groups.

In regards to France, their economy is still stronger than most of the world's, a world in which many countries have few labor laws.

The government is not a leech, in fact, it is only because of government businesses exist. Government provides protection, a stable basis for a business to operate. Without government, a business is a sitting duck to mobs out to loot the business and execute owners, sometimes governments fail and businesses are often a target of reprisals. No where in the Constitution are businesses referenced, the government is for people, not businesses. Business is just a result of people's freedoms protected by the government.

Hydraulics makes the world go round.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:28 PM

668 posts, read 571,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoundOfMuzak View Post
This type of thinking is everything that's wrong in the labor market.

What you're saying is that American companies should come up with a big wish list of ridiculous requirements for what they want in prospective employees, and if they can't find them at home, bring them in from abroad, from among the other 7-something-billion workers in the world. It's completely un-American. I resent it.

I bet that at least one of your ancestors had bad credit or a criminal record, but were able to start a new life and get a chance at demonstrating their ability to show up at work on time every day and be productive, be trained on-the-job, get promoted, make more money and eventually be able to support the family that you were descended from.

Nowadays, with all the ridiculous filtering mechanisms that companies are using to screen out people who don't look perfect on paper, so many Americans are getting thrown to the curb. Companies have become completely spoiled. If an unlimited number of H1B Visas were allowed, every American besides those in upper management would be unemployed.

I bet you that Einstein's Theory of Relativity would be unknown to us if Einstein had grown up in America today. First of all, he was a poor college student, which means his resume would never reach a hiring manager's desk, due to the low GPA printed on it. Second of all, Einstein was notorious for boarding the train without remembering to buy a ticket, which would probably show up on his credit report and render him unemployable due to the thinking of people like FundamentalBibleBeliever.
You misunderstood me. I do not support bringing workers to the country. It is cheaper to farm our the work in their country. That way we don't have to deal with employees, the work is done to our specs, and we save about have the labor cost even after having to ship items due to the lower cost of production and higher level of production available outside the US. That's mostly due to silly laws in the US that do nothing but hurt people needing jobs. Prevent companies from being able to select the right employees and wave goodbye to the jobs for Americans.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I don't have to worry about it. It is already Illegal in Illinois but I have indeed withdrawn my application in several cases where companies and HR let their hiring processes run out of control. If they want to jerk people around let them hire a jerk.
So what is your beef? You live in a state that has driven away millions of jobs over the last few decades. It's what you want. No jobs but great law's for the unemployed if they had somewhere to apply.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Laws to protect from themselves? You mean like laws requiring employers to pay the wages they promised? or laws regarding safety? Discrimination? No, it is more like laws to prevent employers from screwing over people, after all, it was not all too long ago employers had slaves, employers currently violate US labor laws by employing people not authorized to work in this country, that is an employer for you.

So, employers are now going to off shore because a restriction in credit reporting? That is a good one, what was the excuse for all the previous off shoring? fact is, they will pursue where they best will have a competitive advantage. I seriously doubt restricting credit report use is going to have any impact, if the company would have moved, they would have done so for factors other than credit reports.

You obviously are convinced credit reports are some tool, yet you provide no logic nor evidence why it is so. There is absolutely no reason why an employer needs to see my credit report, investment portfolio, or any other personal item not related to the job. A credit report is not related to job skills and performance, you have not at one time shown a reason it is besides the rambling "employers should be able to do anything they want".
You obviously don't understand what you read and have no clue what your talking about. The uneducated voter is Americas worst enemy. Attitudes like yours is why we loose so many jobs in this country. But thats your choice. Don't work and starve if you wish.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
You misunderstood me. I do not support bringing workers to the country. It is cheaper to farm our the work in their country. That way we don't have to deal with employees, the work is done to our specs, and we save about have the labor cost even after having to ship items due to the lower cost of production and higher level of production available outside the US. That's mostly due to silly laws in the US that do nothing but hurt people needing jobs. Prevent companies from being able to select the right employees and wave goodbye to the jobs for Americans.
No, outsourcing is because of labor cost and other competitive advantage factors. Has nothing to do with companies not having the ability to "select" the right employees; please tell me, what laws are preventing employers from selecting the right employees?

Outsourcing is occurring because of competitive advantages other countries can provide, labor costs is one of these factors. Given minimum wage is $7.25 in this country, on top of other employer contributions, this makes it difficult for the US to compete in the low cost labor market compared to countries like Vietnam.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No, outsourcing is because of labor cost and other competitive advantage factors. Has nothing to do with companies not having the ability to "select" the right employees; please tell me, what laws are preventing employers from selecting the right employees?

Outsourcing is occurring because of competitive advantages other countries can provide, labor costs is one of these factors. Given minimum wage is $7.25 in this country, on top of other employer contributions, this makes it difficult for the US to compete in the low cost labor market compared to countries like Vietnam.
In some states where employers are not allowed to properly screen applicants the turn over rate is high, driving up the cost to produce in the US. Laws that force employers to keep workers who are un-productive and over paid just because they belong to a union. Allowing people to walk off their jobs and not allowing employers to fire them for not showing up to work. The US piles regulations on top of regulations that add huge markup's to products produced in the US for no reason other than to create a government job. This country is purposefully trying to reduce the jobs available for our people. It's insane.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:38 PM

8,840 posts, read 13,338,500 times
Quote:
So what is your beef? You live in a state that has driven away millions of jobs over the last few decades. It's what you want. No jobs but great law's for the unemployed if they had somewhere to apply.
I would venture the illegality of preemployment credit checks is a nonfactor in deciding whether or not they want to do business in Illinois. Our dysfunctional govt here I would agree is a serious issue though for once I am actually proud of them for protecting employees privacy from employer stalking.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:45 PM

541 posts, read 722,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
As someone who deals with credit reports for a living, I fully support this bill. Just because I wouldn't trust you enough to grant you a car loan does not mean that you would place my company in trouble if you got hired on as an IT guy or a plumber. A lot of people saw their credit score drop to the mid and lower 500s as a result of the great recession which included tightened credit, a lot of layoffs, and a bumper crop of foreclosures.

Also what the hell are you going to tell someone who just got through beating an aggressive cancer but has $200k+ in medical bills after insurance to do? Pay on those impossible bills and sacrifice food and a roof to keep their credit good or declare bankruptcy and wipe the slate clean and rebuild their lives and put their money towards surviving?

One caveat I have to this bill, is to exclude the banking field, specifically handling actual banking transactions.
Couldn't agree with you more. Seems that many people and places are abusing the running of credit reports to determine if someone is "worthy" or not. It feels very unsafe and unfair to me.

Last edited by Tantamount; 12-25-2013 at 07:56 PM..

Old 12-25-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
In some states where employers are not allowed to properly screen applicants the turn over rate is high, driving up the cost to produce in the US. Laws that force employers to keep workers who are un-productive and over paid just because they belong to a union. Allowing people to walk off their jobs and not allowing employers to fire them for not showing up to work. The US piles regulations on top of regulations that add huge markup's to products produced in the US for no reason other than to create a government job. This country is purposefully trying to reduce the jobs available for our people. It's insane.
Unions make up the minority of workers, so I do not know why this constant "blame unions" things continue.

So, you are stating an employee should not have the right to walk off a job when they want?

Again, point me to a specific regulation that does not allow an employer to properly screen applicants? And how would this prevent high turn over in industries like food service and retail?

What regulations are you talking about? Patent laws? Yes, i agree patent laws make things more expensive, there should be no laws protecting patents. Environmental laws? Yes, i agree business should be able to poison the air and drinking water. Wage laws? I agree, businesses should be able to choose not to pay their employees if they do not want to.

Old 12-25-2013, 08:14 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,800,276 times
I hope this bill passes. Credit reports should be used for one thing and one thing only. The granting of credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search