U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 05:06 AM

668 posts, read 570,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Wrong I have over an 800 fico and I think it is BS
Not wrong because it's the normal result. But you can have good credit and be a bad employee. Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 12-26-2013 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: removed unnecessary comment

Old 12-26-2013, 08:17 AM

15,554 posts, read 13,546,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
You cannot verify age during the application process. Then you cannot work them if they are under age.
It is not illegal to ask someone's age. In fact, many applications have the "are you over 18?" check box. Even at that, it is not illegal to ask someone's age.

Youth At Work: Age Discrimination - FAQs

Quote:
You cannot verify citizenship or legal residency. Then you cannot work them if they are not here legally.
It is only illegal to ask if the person is a US citizen, not are they legal to work in the US.

Pre-Employment Inquiries and Citizenship

Quote:
You cannot ask for military records or type of discharge. Some types of jobs you cannot use dishonorably discharged persons on.
An employer can ask for military records for proof of service. Cannot ask discharge status because that can reveal disability status, which is basically the employer asking if the perosn has a disability or not. An employer can ask if there is a bona fide occupaitonal reason to do so.

Can I ask a Veteran About the Type of Military Discharge He Received? | The Value Of a Veteran

Again, blame employers for their discrimination in the past for these laws now. Employers brought it upon themselves.

Quote:
You cannot ask an applicant if they can work any religious holiday.
Questions and Answers about Religious Discrimination in the Workplace
Religious Discrimination

I will let you read the above link to figure out what is wrong with your statement. But it seems to me you are interested in hiring people only of a certain religion, because you can easily either accomodate them, or not accomodate them based on an undue hardship it would impose on the employer, it really is that simple.

Quote:
I don't have the list our lawyers gives us to us. I keep it at the office. But it's a constantly changing laundry list of crap.
I think you should get different lawyers, or admit you ahve no idea what you are tlaking about. I have just provided refernces to counter your claims. You have yet to provide any references to support your claims. Tell me, what law firm is this lawyer with?

Old 12-26-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It is not illegal to ask someone's age. In fact, many applications have the "are you over 18?" check box. Even at that, it is not illegal to ask someone's age.

Youth At Work: Age Discrimination - FAQs

It is only illegal to ask if the person is a US citizen, not are they legal to work in the US.

Pre-Employment Inquiries and Citizenship

An employer can ask for military records for proof of service. Cannot ask discharge status because that can reveal disability status, which is basically the employer asking if the perosn has a disability or not. An employer can ask if there is a bona fide occupaitonal reason to do so.

Can I ask a Veteran About the Type of Military Discharge He Received? | The Value Of a Veteran

Again, blame employers for their discrimination in the past for these laws now. Employers brought it upon themselves.

Questions and Answers about Religious Discrimination in the Workplace
Religious Discrimination

I will let you read the above link to figure out what is wrong with your statement. But it seems to me you are interested in hiring people only of a certain religion, because you can easily either accomodate them, or not accomodate them based on an undue hardship it would impose on the employer, it really is that simple.

I think you should get different lawyers, or admit you ahve no idea what you are tlaking about. I have just provided refernces to counter your claims. You have yet to provide any references to support your claims. Tell me, what law firm is this lawyer with?
I didn't read your links but you must realize the law is not the same in every state. And what I listed is forbidden by either the Federal or State government. Sorry if you found something on the internet that differs. I just know the law and you don't it seems.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:26 AM

Thank goodness most states have common sense and allow credit checks by employers. This is only logical Moderator cut: snip. So really all you have to do is ask it they would like to volunteer to have their credit history used and if they say no then don't hire them.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 12-26-2013 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: removed unnecessary remark

Old 12-26-2013, 10:07 AM

5,683 posts, read 9,134,251 times
This topic has been exhaustively discussed and debated. The thread is now closed, and will remain that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search