Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 01:39 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
This is from the article you posted. Since when did credit checks and criminal background checks contain the same information? Having bad or no credit is the same is being a criminal? What if some person doesn't have good credit but have never committed a crime? Do you really think someone with bad credit is more likely to become a thief than someone with good credit?

What about all these white-collar criminals who are already wealthy, get greedy and still even more from their companies or clients?

As pointed out, credit reports don't always contain reliable information. You can have credit reports showing that bills you have unpaid are still unpaid.
They don't contain the same information. That is the point. I'm also a believer in drug testing, and checking with landlords for a history of evictions or nonpayment of rent. A credit check will tell you if there is a recurring pattern of theft in their past, and make no mistake, skipping out on the rent is theft. A credit rating is just a number, but a pattern of judgments and tax liens can be very revealing. You can expect an unemployed person to be broke, or possibly even desperate, but combine a multi-year history of not paying their bills with a background check that shows jail time or restraining orders, and they would never get to the drug testing stage. After screening, they still have a six month probationary period where they can be fired without warning.

Businesses are not social service agencies. There is aways room for discretion. I once hired a guy who was down on his luck and had a conviction for murder on his record. When I asked him about it, he was an abused child who killed his mother when he was 18, then did 17 years in prison for it. He had no credit history at all. I gave him a chance, and he did OK, not a world burner, but he was a reliable, albeit quiet, employee. I did talk to his parole officer before hiring him to get a full picture of his situation. Hiring casual labor is one thing, but if you need to hire someone you can trust out of your sight, you better know who you are hiring.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:42 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FundamentalBibleBeliever View Post
How would you know how it's working out for them? There has been nothing come out that would indicate how it is working for them.
Do you not get out much?

Credit card breach?

Old 12-23-2013, 02:03 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Do you not get out much?

Credit card breach?
Do you know something the rest of the world doesn't? The perpetrators haven't been caught yet. No one knows whether it's an inside job or not. Given the sophistication of the hack, it's highly unlikely that it's a Target employee. It might have been an employee working with an outsider, like giving them access to the computer system or some such. And it might have happened in a state where credit checks are banned.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Do you know something the rest of the world doesn't? The perpetrators haven't been caught yet. No one knows whether it's an inside job or not. Given the sophistication of the hack, it's highly unlikely that it's a Target employee. It might have been an employee working with an outsider, like giving them access to the computer system or some such. And it might have happened in a state where credit checks are banned.
I think based on the scope and time frame of this breach, that it's likely there was insider involvement. At a minimum there was probably negligence of some sort. That's already starting to pop up in news stories. Your last sentence might be a valid point. It is noteworthy, though, that Target's HQ and data center are in MN, where such checks are still legal.

Old 12-23-2013, 02:46 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
Good for her.... ABout time this nonsense stopped

Old 12-23-2013, 02:58 PM

668 posts, read 690,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Do you not get out much?

Credit card breach?
So you now believe it was Target employees with good credit that did it?

Old 12-23-2013, 03:08 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
I set a high threshold but because of the pay and benefits we have about 400 apply for every opening we have.
Four hundred qualified applicants?

Quote:
We try to spend at least 2 months in the hiring process. This gives us time to learn enough to form a logical decision for the company. Also this weeds out a lot of people that may not be the best fit for us.
No, spending that much time means the possibility the best qualified applicant found work somewhere else while you are twiddling your thumbs.

Quote:
If you apply for a job with us you better dress right, talk right and have impeccable criminal, work and credit histories.
Yea, did not see have the best qualificaitons though, of course no surprise coming from you that qualificaiotns for the job are not the least bit important.

"Impeccable" criminal, work, and credit history; can you eleborate? Means no parking tickets? What is "impeccable" work and credit history suppsoe to be?

Quote:
I can weed you out for any reason and never give one.
Of course you can, I can see the power tirp you are on, which leads me to beleive you are either a psychopath, or have nothing to dow ith the hiring process.

Quote:
I am sure you would never make to the past the application stage with our firm anyway. We don't have too many chemist so there is rarely an opening. Most stay til retirement anyway.
How do you know the poster's qualifications to make such a determination?

Old 12-23-2013, 03:12 PM

There was a research study performed in the last few years by LSU, Texas Tech and Northern Illinois University to see the correlation between job performance and credit scores. The 2 things I noticed from the study showed that people with better credit scores proved to be more Conscientious in the work place and had a higher degree of Loyalty. Those are 2 very important traits to any employer. I think it was CBS that did a story on this in the past if you want to look it up.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
So you now believe it was Target employees with good credit that did it?
Could be. But my point is that requiring credit checks didn't protect Target from what is possibly going to become the biggest and costliest disaster the company has ever faced.

Old 12-23-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Four hundred qualified applicants?
Not qualified. Never said that.

Quote:
No, spending that much time means the possibility the best qualified applicant found work somewhere else while you are twiddling your thumbs.
We always find one from the finalist who started the process. So guess you are wrong

Quote:
Yea, did not see have the best qualificaitons though, of course no surprise coming from you that qualificaiotns for the job are not the least bit important.
Qualifactions are of utmost importance. Don't be silly!

Quote:
"Impeccable" criminal, work, and credit history; can you eleborate? Means no parking tickets? What is "impeccable" work and credit history suppsoe to be?
No criminal case's. Traffic tickets are not criminal. Although DUI is.

As for work history we want to see long term employment, no terminations for cause, and no gaps in employment without very reasonable causes.

Quote:
Of course you can, I can see the power tirp you are on, which leads me to beleive you are either a psychopath, or have nothing to dow ith the hiring process.
What ever! At least I know how to us spell checker!

Quote:
How do you know the poster's qualifications to make such a determination?
Stated qualifications are considered prior to the first stage. You must at least claim to have the required qualification to have your application considered for the first stage in our process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search